Game Day Thread - Tigers V Eagles | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day Thread - Tigers V Eagles

Feb 25, 2007
Liking the ins, Grimes, Stack, Lambert, MJ and Soldo and positional changes in the backline with Balta and Baker

I think we'll have a bit too much run for the eagles!

Tiges by 34 points

Reactions: 1 users

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
Great to see Stacky back. Will be watching him closely tonight. Fingers crossed we again see the confidence and swagger he had in his debut year

Reactions: 3 users

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
Even when the stands were empty during COVID the green/yellow/etc maggots were still reaming us!
Impossible to get any less favourable calls. At worst will be like the last few weeks. WC 28 Rich 16 is my prediction.

Having said that we need to try eliminate the following

1. Roll the player when tackling.... we do push in the back more than other teams, these are not umpiring errors.
2. Keep tackles under the shoulder. All opposition (not just Selwood) players bend the knees and we dont adjust - Head high free kick.... again, they are there and we pay the price of poor tackling.

The way we tackle, we start each game -10 to start with. Not just an umpire adjustment.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Rolling the player in the tackle is often called a dangerous tackle, you just can't win. I don't reckon we push in the back more when tackling, way too many players these days just fall forward in a tackle to get a free, it is a blight on the game and they need to stop giving free kicks when it happens.

On the second one, the over the shoulder tackles, I agree we haven't learned well enough to avoid the shoulders and the way players shrug their arms or duck for a free. I would add that I've seen plenty of instances where a Richmond player has been tackled on or over the shoulder and no free kick our way.

DS

Feb 25, 2007
Rolling the player in the tackle is often called a dangerous tackle, you just can't win. I don't reckon we push in the back more when tackling, way too many players these days just fall forward in a tackle to get a free, it is a blight on the game and they need to stop giving free kicks when it happens.

On the second one, the over the shoulder tackles, I agree we haven't learned well enough to avoid the shoulders and the way players shrug their arms or duck for a free. I would add that I've seen plenty of instances where a Richmond player has been tackled on or over the shoulder and no free kick our way.

DS

It's disgusting, I first became aware of this RD 1 when Cerra 3 times as soon as he got tackled basically dropped his knees and dropped forward taking the tackler with him in a forward motion, of course, he then gets him in his back. Ump should be calling first free which is holding the ball.

I have seen many clubs doing this we might as well abuse the system like others are doing.

On head high tackling, wow this is now out of control the art of bending your knee to get a head-high tackle, in layman terms ducking to initiate a head-high tackle.
Selwood would be so proud.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

DS
Said it before but the free for “over the shoulder” should be abolished. When did it go from “around the neck” to “over the shoulder”? The free was there to protect the head, “too high” we’d scream. How is having an arm over the shoulder a detriment?

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
They need to enforce "in the back" according to the rule. It is a free for a push or bump in the back.

18.3.2 Free Kicks - Prohibited Contact A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player when that Player makes any of the following Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player:
(b) pushes or bumps an opposition Player in the back;

A player who has a hold of an opponent in a tackle is neither pushing or bumping a player in the back. If you get caught with the ball and drop your knees or get dragged to the ground like a tranquilised buffalo bad luck for you . It is either a free for holding or play on if the ball is disposed of correctly. Rules need to be simplified.

TigerWinner

Tiger Rookie
Apr 21, 2022
To fix the rule...just launch legal action against the AFL. would resolve the situation immediately. would not even get to court. cant get fined for legal action.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

DS

We've had two players penalised for ducking into tackles and not getting rid of the ball!! Never seen it paid before or since. Crumples Macrae is the king of lowering his head as he is tackled. Almost gets rewarded every time.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
They need to enforce "in the back" according to the rule. It is a free for a push or bump in the back.

18.3.2 Free Kicks - Prohibited Contact A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player when that Player makes any of the following Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player:
(b) pushes or bumps an opposition Player in the back;

A player who has a hold of an opponent in a tackle is neither pushing or bumping a player in the back. If you get caught with the ball and drop your knees or get dragged to the ground like a tranquilised buffalo bad luck for you . It is either a free for holding or play on if the ball is disposed of correctly. Rules need to be simplified.
Good call tt

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
If only this game was played on paper...... we'd look pretty good!

*smile* it.... Let's just win..... please!

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
It's disgusting, I first became aware of this RD 1 when Cerra 3 times as soon as he got tackled basically dropped his knees and dropped forward taking the tackler with him in a forward motion, of course, he then gets him in his back. Ump should be calling first free which is holding the ball.

I have seen many clubs doing this we might as well abuse the system like others are doing.

On head high tackling, wow this is now out of control the art of bending your knee to get a head-high tackle, in layman terms ducking to initiate a head-high tackle.
Selwood would be so proud.
Sorry Tiger 5 free kicks all in the back.
For Cerra in round 1. He was on record pace to break all free kick records that night

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Said it before but the free for “over the shoulder” should be abolished. When did it go from “around the neck” to “over the shoulder”? The free was there to protect the head, “too high” we’d scream. How is having an arm over the shoulder a detriment?

Hmm, good question, we have that old book - Football The Australian Way - at home, and it has the rules as they were back in about 1970. I suspect it has always been over the shoulder but I'll have a look.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
Just heard Ginnevan from Collingwood on SEN, Russell brought up the Selwood incident and Ginnevan said it was cool to get a high tackle free kick against Selwood as that was who he learnt it from. Pissed myself laughing

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users