Game Day - Tiges V Eagles | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tiges V Eagles

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
got absolutely smashed in the stoppages., which is really worrying when you consider that WC are poor in that area

View attachment 22476
Actually West Coast aren't too bad at clearances, 2.2 more clearances on average than their opponent per game, puts them 7th in the league. Tigers on the other hand -6 well and truly last. Been a problem all season and was always going to be worse with a 2nd-string midfield.

1000008619.jpg

WC also 3rd for contested possession, Tigers 17th.

1000008621.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Feb 25, 2007
got absolutely smashed in the stoppages., which is really worrying when you consider that WC are poor in that area

View attachment 22476

Not surprising when two big bodies Kelly and Yeo go up against Dow, McAuliffe, Graham, and Bolton now if Taranto, Hopper, Ross and Prestia were playing it would've been evened up.

Last edited:

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
One thing that was obvious today was our midfielders were way undersized. Weight wise, Yeo, Kelly and Reid made our midfielders look like boys.
Yep, Darling and Waterman also made Funky n Toby Tyler look like toothpicks as well.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
We looked ok with that regard just a couple of games ago against the Swans. Our biggest problem is all of those bigger guys are now injured. Our biggest mid yesterday in terms of bulk was Graham. We are going to need to either flip some magnets around (I'd have Marlion is as a tagger on their best clearance player until we get Hopper / Taranto back) as our midfield is way too scrawny.

I'm a stats guy and I think a lot can be read into our players and what happened with stats. Take a look at these possession stats from the AFL website. Yesterday we were monstered at contested possession, but we were also monstered off the ball with things like GBG's and loose ball gets. No surprise that our 2 best for both CP's and GBG's are Hopper and Taranto.

Stats do make you start to think what type of players we have.

Dow - Below average for CP, but his CP rate is above average. So what do we have, a ball winning midfielder that doesn't contest the ball, doesn't win clearances and the doesn't win the ball when its on the ground either (average for GBG's). We know he doesn't get involved in chains through the ground either as his UP's are so slow. I just don't see anything with this kid that makes me think, oh that part of his game is AFL level. I see nothing.

Brown - CP are ok. I think I mentioned a couple of games ago, I'd love to see him get involved in more attacking chains so we can use that kick that he possesses, maybe with Short out, we can push him into a more attacking role. Intercepting has been good, CP have been ok, but need to get him involved. I'd love to see where he is for handball receives, probably not great, but thats part of his game we can improve on. I see AFL quality with Brown.

Mansell - Again this probably shows us what we know. His contested stuff is very good, need to get him involved in more uncontested chains.

Campbell - I reckon he's tracking really nicely. Covers a lot of ground, wins the ball off the deck, biggest issue with him is kicking efficiency.

MRJ - Contested work again is very good. His GBG's probably surprised me a bit, but thats probably down to his positioning. Hopefully we can teach him to position himself into better spots, he seems to get himself caught in no mans land a lot of the time.

The only other one that probably played a few games here and stands out is Sonsie and I think its what the eyes show as well. Just below average with everything that we want to see. CP's below average so doesn't win it at the contest, UP's also below average so doesn't get involved in enough chains and GBG's below average. Just not sure where he is at. I'd like him to be tried in the middle before we throw in the towel though but certainly not showing what I expected when we drafted him.
Good post, but surely people dont even need stats to understand how we were beat up around the ball when we are missing Prestia, Taranto and Hopper (plus Ross.)
And surely people can understand how hard it is to win without a 1st choice midfield to win the ball, and then without our 2 marking forwards (one of whom is close to the best in the game) to have someone to kick to a contest down the line to when we do win it back.

It was disappointing watching the last 3 quarters on Sunday, but I am really not sure what else people expect. and with Ryan, Naismith, Green, Banks, Cumberland, Smith & Coulthard (the last 2 who may not be fully fit), the only fit players not already there isnt much coming back that will make any difference in the near future.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Good post, but surely people dont even need stats to understand how we were beat up around the ball when we are missing Prestia, Taranto and Hopper (plus Ross.)
And surely people can understand how hard it is to win without a 1st choice midfield to win the ball, and then without our 2 marking forwards (one of whom is close to the best in the game) to have someone to kick to a contest down the line to when we do win it back.

It was disappointing watching the last 3 quarters on Sunday, but I am really not sure what else people expect. and with Ryan, Naismith, Green, Banks, Cumberland, Smith & Coulthard (the last 2 who may not be fully fit), the only fit players not already there isnt much coming back that will make any difference in the near future.

Yep we are going to need teams playing with the Essendon Edge vs PA to have a good shot at it in the near term or we are just going to get a little bit bullied. It's why I'm keen to see Pickett in the middle - he doesn't get bullied. I think Mcauliffe to be this solid body but we need to appreciate he is still just a kid and Harley Reids / Judds etc. are once in a decade type first year players across the entire comp. Even Ross would help - but another injury.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Anyone else see the Reid post-game interview? I liked it, he was a very cool cat until Dusty was mentioned, he went to water, totally star-struck like an auskick kid. It was obvious he was just chuffed to be on the same ground. Good stuff.

Reactions: 2 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Anyone else see the Reid post-game interview? I liked it, he was a very cool cat until Dusty was mentioned, he went to water, totally star-struck like an auskick kid. It was obvious he was just chuffed to be on the same ground. Good stuff.

Maybe Dusty could invite him over to punt road - you know, chew the fat sort of thing

Reactions: 2 users