Game Day - Tiges V Eagles | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tiges V Eagles

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
Our slogan of "Eat 'em Alive" is certainly front & centre among the Pre-Enders tonight .................. Maybe we should change it to "Eat each other Alive" ?
Come on Jack; we’ve entered the dark times now.

Switch your settings to night mode and you’ll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We certainly need some big strong players in the middle. Just seem to have too many undersized mids, there needs to be some focus on making sure we draft players with the size to compete in the centre.

A disappointing loss, the injuries are ridiculous, but we still should be able to compete with WC for more than half a quarter.

DS

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Pickett's kicking has really turned to cr@p
Sorry, it doesn't matter whether by hand or foot, he just turns it over. Two such led directly to oppo goals. I used to be a fan. His errors often just kill us.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Pickett set up his 2nd Eagles goal there with a handball direct to an opposition player
A lot of posters on here don't like his deficiencies to be pointed out, but at the best, he gives with one leg ... and takes it back with the other. Often tries to get away with running too far or trying to evade tackles that he can't get away with now. The tackling of other teams and their pressure caught up to the Tigers innovative 2017 game-plan a couple of years back.

The game is going past Marlion; you have to have quick decision-making and effective disposal in the 2024 game.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Not much we can do until we get injured players back, but Koschitzke has to go out out, Young & Dow too.

Sonsie was very disappointing albeit he needs to be given a go in the middle.

One final point - we have too many players who just don’t stick tackles. Is it strength, intent or both?
Glad I saw this comment. It reminded me to say that both teams are in a rebuiding phase, plenty of young players. But why did the Eagles look so much bigger, stronger and fitter?
Hate the way we always look so small and measly these days. You can see the evidence of WC's youth having an effective gym program. Our guys are easily brushed aside, cannot stick or break tackles, and our defenders pushed aside like reeds.

Allows our opponents to play that much more aggressively when they see us line up I reckon. Hardly one player our opponents would fear in a physical encounter aside from Nank perhaps.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Let’s try Trezise on the ball when he comes back in a few weeks.
Mate, he's also built like a twig. Just another kid with a body that needs to build up a lot more over 2/3 more pre-seasons. The likes of Kelly and Yeo would have steamrolled him.
This is where we are at now.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Glad I saw this comment. It reminded me to say that both teams are in a rebuiding phase, plenty of young players. But why did the Eagles look so much bigger, stronger and fitter?
Hate the way we always look so small and measly these days. You can see the evidence of WC's youth having an effective gym program. Our guys are easily brushed aside, cannot stick or break tackles, and our defenders pushed aside like reeds.

Allows our opponents to play that much more aggressively when they see us line up I reckon. Hardly one player our opponents would fear in a physical encounter aside from Nank perhaps.
It’s because our batch of young players are mostly small bodied

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Mate, he's also built like a twig. Just another kid with a body that needs to build up a lot more over 2/3 more pre-seasons. The likes of Kelly and Yeo would have steamrolled him.
This is where we are at now.
You must be thinking of someone else Kings of Leon. Trezise is 188cm and must be at least 86-88kg. I suspect more given his shape after the pre season.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
He played his normal game.

Bouncy-hair-misskick.

To be fair, he had a genuine crack. But struggles to find much of the ball as an outside player and is very poor by foot.

I'd keep him in, but only numerically.
Yep. Did very little, and only keeps his spot, because he isn’t injured.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Nank looked *smile* ed against Wet Coke the bye couldn’t come soon enough

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

We looked ok with that regard just a couple of games ago against the Swans. Our biggest problem is all of those bigger guys are now injured. Our biggest mid yesterday in terms of bulk was Graham. We are going to need to either flip some magnets around (I'd have Marlion is as a tagger on their best clearance player until we get Hopper / Taranto back) as our midfield is way too scrawny.

I'm a stats guy and I think a lot can be read into our players and what happened with stats. Take a look at these possession stats from the AFL website. Yesterday we were monstered at contested possession, but we were also monstered off the ball with things like GBG's and loose ball gets. No surprise that our 2 best for both CP's and GBG's are Hopper and Taranto.

Stats do make you start to think what type of players we have.

Dow - Below average for CP, but his CP rate is above average. So what do we have, a ball winning midfielder that doesn't contest the ball, doesn't win clearances and the doesn't win the ball when its on the ground either (average for GBG's). We know he doesn't get involved in chains through the ground either as his UP's are so slow. I just don't see anything with this kid that makes me think, oh that part of his game is AFL level. I see nothing.

Brown - CP are ok. I think I mentioned a couple of games ago, I'd love to see him get involved in more attacking chains so we can use that kick that he possesses, maybe with Short out, we can push him into a more attacking role. Intercepting has been good, CP have been ok, but need to get him involved. I'd love to see where he is for handball receives, probably not great, but thats part of his game we can improve on. I see AFL quality with Brown.

Mansell - Again this probably shows us what we know. His contested stuff is very good, need to get him involved in more uncontested chains.

Campbell - I reckon he's tracking really nicely. Covers a lot of ground, wins the ball off the deck, biggest issue with him is kicking efficiency.

MRJ - Contested work again is very good. His GBG's probably surprised me a bit, but thats probably down to his positioning. Hopefully we can teach him to position himself into better spots, he seems to get himself caught in no mans land a lot of the time.

The only other one that probably played a few games here and stands out is Sonsie and I think its what the eyes show as well. Just below average with everything that we want to see. CP's below average so doesn't win it at the contest, UP's also below average so doesn't get involved in enough chains and GBG's below average. Just not sure where he is at. I'd like him to be tried in the middle before we throw in the towel though but certainly not showing what I expected when we drafted him.

Reactions: 9 users

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon

Ginbey looks like Sid Vicious

• Haha

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
We looked ok with that regard just a couple of games ago against the Swans. Our biggest problem is all of those bigger guys are now injured. Our biggest mid yesterday in terms of bulk was Graham. We are going to need to either flip some magnets around (I'd have Marlion is as a tagger on their best clearance player until we get Hopper / Taranto back) as our midfield is way too scrawny.

I'm a stats guy and I think a lot can be read into our players and what happened with stats. Take a look at these possession stats from the AFL website. Yesterday we were monstered at contested possession, but we were also monstered off the ball with things like GBG's and loose ball gets. No surprise that our 2 best for both CP's and GBG's are Hopper and Taranto.

Stats do make you start to think what type of players we have.

Dow - Below average for CP, but his CP rate is above average. So what do we have, a ball winning midfielder that doesn't contest the ball, doesn't win clearances and the doesn't win the ball when its on the ground either (average for GBG's). We know he doesn't get involved in chains through the ground either as his UP's are so slow. I just don't see anything with this kid that makes me think, oh that part of his game is AFL level. I see nothing.

Brown - CP are ok. I think I mentioned a couple of games ago, I'd love to see him get involved in more attacking chains so we can use that kick that he possesses, maybe with Short out, we can push him into a more attacking role. Intercepting has been good, CP have been ok, but need to get him involved. I'd love to see where he is for handball receives, probably not great, but thats part of his game we can improve on. I see AFL quality with Brown.

Mansell - Again this probably shows us what we know. His contested stuff is very good, need to get him involved in more uncontested chains.

Campbell - I reckon he's tracking really nicely. Covers a lot of ground, wins the ball off the deck, biggest issue with him is kicking efficiency.

MRJ - Contested work again is very good. His GBG's probably surprised me a bit, but thats probably down to his positioning. Hopefully we can teach him to position himself into better spots, he seems to get himself caught in no mans land a lot of the time.

The only other one that probably played a few games here and stands out is Sonsie and I think its what the eyes show as well. Just below average with everything that we want to see. CP's below average so doesn't win it at the contest, UP's also below average so doesn't get involved in enough chains and GBG's below average. Just not sure where he is at. I'd like him to be tried in the middle before we throw in the towel though but certainly not showing what I expected when we drafted him.
Well done Posh. That’s provides good support of what see and a few other little indicators not that obvious. Something to keep an eye on.