Game Day - Tiges V Freo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tiges V Freo

Injuries. Re-build. Whatever. It’s the lack of effort, interest and intensity that’s a worry for me. There’s no real excuse for that. Particularly with some of our better players.

We’ve seen it v WCE, Freo now, and in a few individual quarters in other games.

The defensive efforts today (not talking about the backline but around the ground when we didnt have the ball) were just terrible today. General pressure, tackling, getting back etc was really poor.

That’s a concern for me. A few guys need a come to Geezuz chat.

Agree. Yze has said he has had no issue with effort this year. I'm not sure about that. Pressure, forward, back and mid seems haphazard and discretionary to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Longmuir squealing that Amiss getting to much attention from opponents. Gee he is an absolute sook.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Got to pay Freo a bit of credit.
Their ball use was as good as any team we have played all year & at times they just cut us to ribbons with the lead/mark game.
Also their young mids are extremely impressive.
They may have started the year slowly but they're coming that's for sure.

Reactions: 6 users
Jack this was always going to happen. Always with the injury list. Nothing surer.

None of this is Yze’s fault. That’s madness.

List is rock bottom and I can guarantee you Yze is safe as houses for another 3-4 years at least.
Yeh, crazy to blame Yze.

Reactions: 1 users
After I have cooled down on the way the game was played today I had a thought and realise that Yze has an uphill struggle right now with half of the really experienced first teamers out injured and having to play the kids who are still inexperienced and learning the game . These kids did OK last week but today they just run out of steam and footy smarts and consequently struggled against a well drilled team. That experienced guys had a bad off day didn't help so we are were we are. We just have to expect results going against us until we have a full complement of established players back with those kids who are showing promise and seed what Yze and co can give us. Tiger life is not exactly good right now but I still reckon we can make the second part of the season more respectable

Keeping an old nank on and letting soldo go was ridulous when it took place ,but now it is clearly one of our great blunders
Correct
And recruiting Naismith and Kosi
Complete waste of picks

Hard day at the Office but I believe in the hallowed halls of Richmond Football Club, a new era dawns—a testing ground where raw talent meets the crucible of AFL. The next couple of years will be our proving ground, a baptism by fire for the likes of Sonsie, Hugo, Banks, Dow, Young, Miller, MRJ, and Campbell etc and so on .. These young guns, once stuck in the VFL shadows, now step into the spotlight.

The pain? It’s inevitable—the ache of growth, the sting of setbacks. But within this crucible lies hope. If Richmond can forge a nucleus of players, each thread woven tightly, they’ll rise anew. Draft picks, like precious gems, await discovery—adding brilliance to our future. Mid-year drafts, year-end selections—they’re our alchemical mix, transforming potential into gold.

Yet, let’s not be fooled; there’s no quick fix. We’ll lose some along the way—Graham, Baker, Rioli ??? maybe — if they decide mmm . Their departure, like autumn leaves, makes space for fresh blooms. And so, we watch—the trading period, a dance of strategy and chance. Will we trade pawns for queens? Only time will tell.

Richmond Tigers, brace yourselves—the pain, the promise—it’s all part of the grand symphony. The crescendo awaits, echoing across the MCG, as young hearts beat in unison. Rise, Tigers, rise! 🐯🔥
B+ for rhetoric and eloquence but D- for unrealistic optimism. :geek:

• Haha
In the after match interview, Tom Brown said the younger players communicate with older players for advice and mentoring.

Here's 5 of them:

Petts, Lids, Kelvin Moore, Cuz and Dutch.

1714902556495.png

Ok, we know the midfield is decimated and we have no key forwards so hard to keep the structure going.

Some support Mansell to be in the side and keep going on about him and Campbell playing more as high half forwards but what use is that to the team when we are not kicking goals. Today I saw countless times the ball go over the top and we had no small forwards playing deep to run on to the ball.

Mansell 8 disposals and 2 tackles. Kicked a goal mid-way through the last. Enough is enough time to go back to the ressies, get a kick and maybe muster a goal.

Campbell that's 6 games now with no goals and 1 tackle.

They are not providing enough and surely not on the scoreboard. They should not have a mortgage on these positions.

Junior had a shocker but he has runs on the board from his last 3 games.

Ok, we know the midfield is decimated and we have no key forwards so hard to keep the structure going.

Some support Mansell to be in the side and keep going on about him and Campbell playing more as high half forwards but what use is that to the team when we are not kicking goals. Today I saw countless times the ball go over the top and we had no small forwards playing deep to run on to the ball.

Mansell 8 disposals and 2 tackles. Kicked a goal mid-way through the last. Enough is enough time to go back to the ressies, get a kick and maybe muster a goal.

Campbell that's 6 games now with no goals and 1 tackle.

They are not providing enough and surely not on the scoreboard. They should not have a mortgage on these positions.

Junior had a shocker but he has runs on the board from his last 3 games.

He’s, when you have so many small forwards and they’re all lacking goals, there is a major problem somewhere.

The question is.. are they playing to instructions or being caught out of position?
One is on the coaches, the other on the players. Does anyone actually know?

Reactions: 1 user
When it comes to some of our kids, there is no amount of experience you could ever put in to them that would make them AFL quality players.

This rebuild is going to very be long and very painful.

What happened to our defensive wall?
Turn to a fly screen.

• Haha
Not a good day at the footy.

I didn't go there expecting to win. With most of our centreline out, and Freo have a very good centreline, I knew it would be tough.

The thing is that, yes, we are playing a lot of young players and we don't expect them to be up to the fitness levels of seasoned players. But the way that Freo had numbers around the contest every time and we were constantly outnumbered meant we had no chance. Some of this is fitness but some is not making enough effort, they do need to go in harder, they do need to be putting more pressure on the opposition. This is possible, we did it against Sydney, but we barely kept up with Freo at all today. The third quarter was ok but for the rest of the game we were chasing.

I thought Miller and Young were good. Vlastuin, well, he was Vlastuin, constantly saving us down back but there are limits. Broad was fine too.

I am getting the impression Dusty will retire at the end of this year, he just can't seem to get his kicks right at the moment. They are not going where he wants them to.

MRJ was fumbly today, but he has been less fumbly recently so I would cut him some slack. He was still getting where the ball was which is good.

Lefau is not a number 1 forward, he does well but we can't expect him to be a number 1 forward - not quite tall enough and less than 10 games. He has a go and I reckon will make a great second or third forward.

Baker tried, had his head ripped off a couple of times, if he moves to another club he can look forward to actually being paid frees for too high. As it stands he appears to have no head.

A few decent things done by some of the younger brigade but they are just learning, and we need to see how well they can play as some need to be cut at the end of the year.

The umpiring? The usual really. You have to laugh sometimes, it was comically biased this week. So obvious. No-one had any idea what the free was for at the end of the second quarter, then, the ump gives a 50 for who knows what, after the siren. Gee, if they applied the same rule against Sydney a few years back we would have had a free and 50m. I actually think the umps are deliberately trying to rile the Richmond supporters, to give a free that no-one could explain and the 50m right in front of the Richmond crowd, at a game where the opponent is an interstate club with a small following, at a game held early on a Sunday afternoon so the crowd is going to be very lopsided; what is the agenda? Rub our faces in their cheating? Then we had a wrestle in the last quarter which led to a Freo free right in front of goal, again at the Punt Rd end. They are trying to get a response. Not satisfied with screwing us each week they are now rubbing it in our faces.

I suppose, given we aren't competitive after the 3 flags and now we are rebuilding, umpiring matters less as it is not going to have a meaningful impact on whether we make finals/top 4 or win a flag. But they do seem to be deliberately trying to upset Richmond supporters. To be honest, it is pathetic that they behave this way. Far more worrying, when you look at the umpiring across all games and not just ours, their inconsistency, clear bias towards some teams and not others, is having a hugely detrimental impact on the game.

DS
I hear your pain and frustration and we all share it re. the way we are being umpired. However, that free kick against Nankervis for a ruck infringement just before half-time was one of those 50-50 that could have gone either way but once Freo had the free, Dow had to give the ball back to the Freo ruckman, but he didn't. He just dropped it at his feet, then the ump called 50 as the siren sounded for half-time. Those at the ground would have missed what the 50 was for. Perhaps we could have the US idea of putting a mic on the ref who stops and tells the crowd why each decision has been made? We probably have too many decisions to be made each minute for that to be feasable in our game but the crowd need to be told what has happened for at least a few less obvious decisions like that.

Got to pay Freo a bit of credit.
Their ball use was as good as any team we have played all year & at times they just cut us to ribbons with the lead/mark game.
Also their young mids are extremely impressive.
They may have started the year slowly but they're coming that's for sure.
Wot !!

• Dislike
I do think Ooze woke up at half time that starting Dusty Bolton sucking up the sun down in forward line aint the way to go. These guys have to start up front in the mix as the first thing it does is put pressure on the the other lot. The same with Balta got to go back not forward. Going back with Balta besides stiffing up the back line it puts the other lot under more pressure which results in errors. Got to get a high flying pivot like Ryan in the goal square.

• Wow
I do think Ooze woke up at half time that starting Dusty Bolton sucking up the sun down in forward line aint the way to go. These guys have to start up front in the mix as the first thing it does is put pressure on the the other lot. The same with Balta got to go back not forward. Going back with Balta besides stiffing up the back line it puts the other lot under more pressure which results in errors. Got to get a high flying pivot like Ryan in the goal square.
Balta will stay forward and Miller given the opportunity, will continue to show improvement in the backline.

Reactions: 1 users
Balta will stay forward and Miller given the opportunity, will continue to show improvement in the backline.
Miller has been at the club for that long he should be up to scratch now. Him & Young just aint gunna reach the lofty heights now of Grimes Broad Val . They are duds. How many goals have their direct opponents kicked this year ?. Treacy murdered them last quarter an Treacy aint a gun.