Game Day - Tiges V Freo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tiges V Freo

Prestia, Tarranto, Hopper, Ross, Graham is a hell of a midfield hole.

I'm not surprised they were punished.

I think a Tarranto, McAuliffe, Sonsie, Hopper, Bolton, Ross midfield next year will be a big improvement.

I still want to see some Riolis tried in there.

Our forward line will look dramatically different with Balta, Lynch and Gibcus as options.

I'm really optimistic about Lefau and Balta as a 1-2 punch for the next 5 or 6 years.

I really like the look of our backline. They have been under the pump all year, and really showed something. I think it's set for a long time. Maybe include Tresize/Bauer to replace some oldies.
Agree with most of this except the backline. Grimes will retire, Miller and Young still need to convince me they are better than VFL level due to their skill errors. Will Vlastuin and Short have the desire to play well each week next year? Baker and Bolton could go west and Dusty may give it away and Pickett has nothing more to give. Lot of pressure on recruiters to make the right calls.

Reactions: 1 users
Sony too lazy no defence
Dow 1990 midfielder. slow, Dosent get the ball often enough and kicks poorly..
Rioli and Mansell the worse 2 smalls in the competition. Useless
Banks and Ralphsmith aren't up to it.
Pickett and McIntosh are finished.
Martin's kicking is woeful
Nakas gets opposition ruckman back into form. He needs to retire.
Baker needs to not get injured and gets us a top 10 pick.
We are not waiting for the injured player's ti get back we need to recruit skilled ball winning footballers.
The umpires can get fked

Reactions: 1 user
How was a player who CANNOT KICK drafted in the first place.
I'm involved in junior footy and I can tell you the recruiters look for athletic talls. Actual football skills and ability to read play don't come into the equation at all

Reactions: 2 users
They got frustrated in the end. It's tough when you don't feel the game is being adjudicated fairly. And it is not the first time. I don't blame players for getting frustrated. I think the club is letting them down by not being more vocal about it. I wouldn't feel. Baker is a ball player yet gets no support from the umps. Nank is often penalised simply for being too aggressive. We bemoan weak tackles then you get a strong tackle and its judged too strong. We seemingly cannot win. I think that will make something like 40 games of over -9 free kick differential and not one in the positive. Different players, different opponents, different umpires......why?

I hear noise of affirmation leads to positive counts for home sides in WA & SA. There is possibly no more vocal crowd than the tigers yet noise of affirmation does not apply to us.

It's pretty dis-heartening. I have a lot of empathy for the players.

Agree, it is pretty disheartening for the fans, imagine how the players feel getting adjudicated differently every week.

DS

Reactions: 4 users
This ones on Yze. Set up was terrible. Couldn’t get anywhere near Freo‘s transition from D50.
where as we kick into the pocket and then bomb it down the line… every single time.

He said that over the 2 10 day breaks we were able to work on a lot of things; but it looks like we went backwards today. it was ugly at times.
I know we’re undermanned but FMD a lot of players were just walking; especially Bolton.

Disappointing because the crowd were up for the game too.
Left midway through the last, first time I’ve left early since 2016.

Reactions: 4 users
We get smashed at the stoppage and to be honest I am very concerned about Nankervis. He is offering little atm.
If he wasn’t captain I would drop him, I might anyway.
We just never had first use so we were chasing tail all afternoon.

Reactions: 1 users
Not a good day at the footy.

I didn't go there expecting to win. With most of our centreline out, and Freo have a very good centreline, I knew it would be tough.

The thing is that, yes, we are playing a lot of young players and we don't expect them to be up to the fitness levels of seasoned players. But the way that Freo had numbers around the contest every time and we were constantly outnumbered meant we had no chance. Some of this is fitness but some is not making enough effort, they do need to go in harder, they do need to be putting more pressure on the opposition. This is possible, we did it against Sydney, but we barely kept up with Freo at all today. The third quarter was ok but for the rest of the game we were chasing.

I thought Miller and Young were good. Vlastuin, well, he was Vlastuin, constantly saving us down back but there are limits. Broad was fine too.

I am getting the impression Dusty will retire at the end of this year, he just can't seem to get his kicks right at the moment. They are not going where he wants them to.

MRJ was fumbly today, but he has been less fumbly recently so I would cut him some slack. He was still getting where the ball was which is good.

Lefau is not a number 1 forward, he does well but we can't expect him to be a number 1 forward - not quite tall enough and less than 10 games. He has a go and I reckon will make a great second or third forward.

Baker tried, had his head ripped off a couple of times, if he moves to another club he can look forward to actually being paid frees for too high. As it stands he appears to have no head.

A few decent things done by some of the younger brigade but they are just learning, and we need to see how well they can play as some need to be cut at the end of the year.

The umpiring? The usual really. You have to laugh sometimes, it was comically biased this week. So obvious. No-one had any idea what the free was for at the end of the second quarter, then, the ump gives a 50 for who knows what, after the siren. Gee, if they applied the same rule against Sydney a few years back we would have had a free and 50m. I actually think the umps are deliberately trying to rile the Richmond supporters, to give a free that no-one could explain and the 50m right in front of the Richmond crowd, at a game where the opponent is an interstate club with a small following, at a game held early on a Sunday afternoon so the crowd is going to be very lopsided; what is the agenda? Rub our faces in their cheating? Then we had a wrestle in the last quarter which led to a Freo free right in front of goal, again at the Punt Rd end. They are trying to get a response. Not satisfied with screwing us each week they are now rubbing it in our faces.

I suppose, given we aren't competitive after the 3 flags and now we are rebuilding, umpiring matters less as it is not going to have a meaningful impact on whether we make finals/top 4 or win a flag. But they do seem to be deliberately trying to upset Richmond supporters. To be honest, it is pathetic that they behave this way. Far more worrying, when you look at the umpiring across all games and not just ours, their inconsistency, clear bias towards some teams and not others, is having a hugely detrimental impact on the game.

DS

Reactions: 8 users
Won hit outs but clearances but just got smashed. Just do not seem to man up against an opponent at clearances.

As I said earlier in the Game Day Thread.
Not all, but too many of our players cheated. They couldn’t be bothered to chase, to harass, to tackle.
To me, that’s cheating football.
Not even close to the basics at any level, let alone the “culture” and being a “Richmond man”. Stupid term anyway, especially when you espouse it and don’t live up to the values. Frauds.

Reactions: 3 users
We've fought hard in every game until today. Was only a matter of time until the players threw in the towel.
Bull s**t .They were still having a go at the end with that dust up in the last minute.

As I said earlier in the Game Day Thread.
Not all, but too many of our players cheated. They couldn’t be bothered to chase, to harass, to tackle.
To me, that’s cheating football.
Not even close to the basics at any level, let alone the “culture” and being a “Richmond man”. Stupid term anyway, especially when you espouse it and don’t live up to the values. Frauds.
Get a life Willo & barrack for Sainters.

Well said JJD!

Don't mind getting flogged if we play to a plan, hold our structures and bust our guts in the play.

Did none of that today we played individual insipid football.
Agree but I'm certain they're not instructed to play that way. We had no winners in the first half. Players reverted to saving their own arses lost all confidence in moving the ball.

It’s simple
YZE might be a good bloke but clearly can’t coach
Disgraceful set ups at stoppages
Team selection is laughable at best
Naismith 😂
Other players either jump out of the way or don’t go hard enough
10 players can hold their heads high
The rest , terrible
Suggest you all watch Banks and Brown jump out of the way twice on the replay
Might as well play 2 short if they are going to dish up that garage
Anyone see Dylan Grimes today ? Did he play 🤔😂

Reactions: 1 user
Agree but I'm certain they're not instructed to play that way. We had no winners in the first half. Players reverted to saving their own arses lost all confidence in moving the ball.

I thought the 1st quarter was ok. The 2nd, between a bit of effort and the umps we weren't allowed into the game. Either we lost the stoppage, then tried to pressure and tackle, they would drop the ball, the umps would play on and eventually they would get clean ball out. Because we couldn't win the ball at the source or intercept much due to their clean ball, we had no control, the only way to get some control was to be rewarded for our tackling and the umps refused. 4th quarter was very similar.

To be honest I knew the way the game would go. I told my daughter before. We are playing our HFF's very high up the ground to try and counter our current weakness at stoppage, eg. Mansell would belt in from the top of the square, Campbell was essentially playing as another winger, MRJ was roaming high up the ground. Our gameplan (like last week) was to try and isolate our deepest forwards in Lefau, Bolton and a resting ruck, but like Lever last week, they trusted their midfield (and the umps) and left Ryan back hence why he won possessions at will today.

With our outs, we need everything to go right, this strategy to allow us to break even in the middle, umps to reward us, and to kick straight. None of that worked today or last week hence we were soundly beaten, but we have little other option. Play those guys closer to goal and we are probably even more ineffective around the ball and we would be flogged heavier defensively. Our gameplan is to flood and frustrate and hopefully take advantage with our inside 50's (by opening up the F50), that has worked ok to some extent, but out kicking for goal has been very poor the last few weeks in particular.

The game panned out how I expected, but the umps were worse, and some of our midfield contribution was worse.

Reactions: 3 users
Today was the first crack in the Yze philosophy. Too many took the easy option. The effort must improve. We all know the situation with injuries. The players played a selfish game that we have not seen in a long time. Good coaches do not allow that to fester. We are going to find out how much the players are being coached over the next 6 weeks. That’s when we’ll know about Yze. Can he fix the crack that opened today.
Jack this was always going to happen. Always with the injury list. Nothing surer.

None of this is Yze’s fault. That’s madness.

List is rock bottom and I can guarantee you Yze is safe as houses for another 3-4 years at least.

Reactions: 5 users
Hard day at the Office but I believe in the hallowed halls of Richmond Football Club, a new era dawns—a testing ground where raw talent meets the crucible of AFL. The next couple of years will be our proving ground, a baptism by fire for the likes of Sonsie, Hugo, Banks, Dow, Young, Miller, MRJ, and Campbell etc and so on .. These young guns, once stuck in the VFL shadows, now step into the spotlight.

The pain? It’s inevitable—the ache of growth, the sting of setbacks. But within this crucible lies hope. If Richmond can forge a nucleus of players, each thread woven tightly, they’ll rise anew. Draft picks, like precious gems, await discovery—adding brilliance to our future. Mid-year drafts, year-end selections—they’re our alchemical mix, transforming potential into gold.

Yet, let’s not be fooled; there’s no quick fix. We’ll lose some along the way—Graham, Baker, Rioli ??? maybe — if they decide mmm . Their departure, like autumn leaves, makes space for fresh blooms. And so, we watch—the trading period, a dance of strategy and chance. Will we trade pawns for queens? Only time will tell.

Richmond Tigers, brace yourselves—the pain, the promise—it’s all part of the grand symphony. The crescendo awaits, echoing across the MCG, as young hearts beat in unison. Rise, Tigers, rise! 🐯🔥

Last edited:
  • Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users