Game Day Tiges v Port | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day Tiges v Port

Funny don't recall McChins, Derwayne and their mates commenting on the obvious stage by the Port player :rolleyes: . Don't recall anything about in papers or online today:rolleyes:. Anyone calling for Wood Duck to be fined for staging??

If that was Grimes it would back page news and they'd be talking about it all week long on the myriad of *smile* so called football shows on TV.

So true, they're a bunch of hypocrites.

Looking at the game we came back late in the first and third quarters. These short quarters are not helping us at all.

Game should go back to normal length for the finals, there is no excuse for not doing this.

If we have our best back and normal length quarters we can clearly beat Port, whether we will remains to be seen but we were close last night with a lot of players out and short quarters. Need to fix the centre though, and it is going to take some fixing.

Just on the Kayo comments, it was crap, but I have a related question: most , if not all, of us here are members. We have put our hard earned and stuck fast with our clubs if we can afford it, along with the members of all the other clubs. Yet, in Victoria we can't attend games which is a major part of the membership package. Even in Queensland, SA and WA there are limited attendances and no way all members of the clubs based in those states can get to games (maybe GC excepted). So, why can't we have access to an AFL Live account on the basis of our membership? In fact, who don't we get this anyway? It should be free with a club membership.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
So, why can't we have access to an AFL Live account on the basis of our membership? In fact, who don't we get this anyway? It should be free with a club membership.

I'm sure there'd be a rights clause with the broadcasters. They'd get a cut of the revenues.

I agree with most of this...but are finals definitely in Qld? If Port finish top 2 don’t they get their first two finals at home at Adelaide oval or has it all ready been decided that they will have to play in qld? If they get two home finals I reckon they will be hard to beat...especially if they are allowed to have 60000 lunatics in attendance. I think our full strength team are the only ones who can beat them at their home ground come finals time.
No, Houston. I've just assumed that they will be in QLD, but I guess Adelaide is a real possibility.

His instinct told him not to let the opponent get a break. It's not a situation that crops up all that often - he looked confused and panicked but should've just stopped running when the umpire instructed him to get out of the play.
Yeah 3 times

No, Houston. I've just assumed that they will be in QLD, but I guess Adelaide is a real possibility.
Cool, thanks. No doubt we are a much better chance in Qld as Port at Adelaide oval and West coast at Optus will be much harder to beat.

Cool, thanks. No doubt we are a much better chance in Qld as Port at Adelaide oval and West coast at Optus will be much harder to beat.
I reckon there are two possible scenarios for finals venues. One option is to play all finals in Queensland, mainly at the Gabba, with Metricon used as required.
The other option is to play the earlier finals at the home ground of higher placed non-Victorian teams - eg: if Port finish top, they would get two finals at the Adelaide Oval etc. The Grand Final would be played at the Gabba. That's the way I am reading the situation at the moment.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with most of this...but are finals definitely in Qld? If Port finish top 2 don’t they get their first two finals at home at Adelaide oval or has it all ready been decided that they will have to play in qld? If they get two home finals I reckon they will be hard to beat...especially if they are allowed to have 60000 lunatics in attendance. I think our full strength team are the only ones who can beat them at their home ground come finals time.

Nothing is definite in this crazy season, but that's the rumour

Biggest concern I have is our tackling imho it’s been down all year , we just seem to have a lot of tackles broken
Is it mostly the inexperienced players not sticking the tackles? Missing a few mature players who are good tacklers...Prestia, Cotch, Nank, Edwards and 'out of form' Graham.

Umpiring has been rubbish all year .. but it didn’t cost us this game... Boak, Wines, Powell-Pepper and Rockliff completely dominating the midfield did.
Yep. It was their midfield dominance that go them over the line.
Cotchin alone would have tipped the scale in our favour. Adding Prestia and Edwards gets us to even further advantages over them.

Is it mostly the inexperienced players not sticking the tackles? Missing a few mature players who are good tacklers...Prestia, Cotch, Nank, Edwards and 'out of form' Graham.
Possibly Mike , I’m unsure , it’s just been noticeable to me when you think we’ve got em and then the opponent slips away , classic example was Lynch on Saturday

Yep. It was their midfield dominance that go them over the line.
Cotchin alone would have tipped the scale in our favour. Adding Prestia and Edwards gets us to even further advantages over them.
Agree. I know many have written him off but a fit and in form Graham gives us a much harder edge in the middle. Hoping he comes good soon.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with above, I think if things stay same for next few months it will be a normal seasons finals program but with those in hub assuming QLD as home games... port and WCE to have home games....

no one knows but seems most logical as they want crowds and to seem as fair as possible although it isn’t necessary fair.

i think given our position whilst I’m confident and actually really proud of our team yesterday the reality is we need to make finals first, missing a bunch and a different season.. I’m confident on what I saw yesterday with cotch, astbury, Prestia, Houli and hopefully Edwards back we have port covered even in Adelaide... proud of the guys yesterday although I thought the Margin should have been greater yesterday

The margin probably should have been greater. But, this is what very good teams do. They lose by less than they should. I remember the horrible 2018 PF and we were 20 points behind in the last quarter - we should have been nowhere near them but we were within striking distance. In the game on Saturday we were ahead at 3 quarter time despite being outplayed, despite the fact we had so few inside 50s and despite the quality of players who are out.

This is the sign of a truly good team and Richmond can take belief out of that game. We were competitive with this year's rising side sitting on top of the ladder, and that with a pile of experienced players out. Also, it wasn't a game played at a low standard or defensively, both sides threw everything at each other, it's just we have players who will return who can throw even more at the opposition.

Still need to fix centre clearances though.

DS

Reactions: 5 users
The margin probably should have been greater. But, this is what very good teams do. They lose by less than they should. I remember the horrible 2018 PF and we were 20 points behind in the last quarter - we should have been nowhere near them but we were within striking distance. In the game on Saturday we were ahead at 3 quarter time despite being outplayed, despite the fact we had so few inside 50s and despite the quality of players who are out.

This is the sign of a truly good team and Richmond can take belief out of that game. We were competitive with this year's rising side sitting on top of the ladder, and that with a pile of experienced players out. Also, it wasn't a game played at a low standard or defensively, both sides threw everything at each other, it's just we have players who will return who can throw even more at the opposition.

Still need to fix centre clearances though.

DS
Going forward we need a big bodied midfielder who kills contested ball. Hopefully Collier-Dawkins is that player. If not, I agree that we should look at one of the Crouch brothers in the off season. should be plenty of Rance money available. I'd also be looking later this season to try Higgins as proper rover. He looked good in the middle in his first season. If he's to make it, it'll be as a rover and not as a small forward.

One thing I don't think has been highlighted is we had 10 players who had played less than 50 games. All other teams had less except for Saints with 11 (as per their selected side). 15 players under 100 games was the 3rd lowest. We are in a way going through a rebuild without the ladder drop that's often associated with it.