Game Day Tiges v Port | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day Tiges v Port

[/QUOTE]
Bolton a vote maybe but yes saw that and a bit surprised

Don't forget who Dimma was coached by the No.1 *smile* house rat Sheedy. He might be just playing the game. One thing about that Port team, i wonder how they would go if something happened to Dixon?

Reactions: 1 user
Comprehensively beaten by Port.

Question marks over their ability to win finals in QLD but they were objectively superior to us on Saturday.

If they can replicate that pressure in Sep/Oct they will be difficult to beat, as much as it pains me to say it.

On the flip side, we have a history of losing heavily at narrow away grounds even in 2017-2019.

had a look at the numbers:

loss to Adelaide away 76pts
loss to St Kilda away 67pts

loss to Adelaide away 36 pts
loss to WC away 47pts

loss to GWS away 49pts
loss to WB away 47pts
loss to NM away 37pts
loss to Adelaide away 33pts

there you have it. Dimma mentioned it again in the presser.

Further confirmation that we don’t play skinny grounds well at all.

system-wise, we get trapped in D50 and we also struggle burst-run across the longer grounds.

we train to defend and attack using width.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
had a look at the numbers:

loss to Adelaide away 76pts
loss to St Kilda away 67pts

loss to Adelaide away 36 pts
loss to WC away 47pts

loss to GWS away 49pts
loss to WB away 47pts
loss to NM away 37pts
loss to Adelaide away 33pts

there you have it. Dimma mentioned it again in the presser.

Further confirmation that we don’t play skinny grounds well at all.

system-wise, we get trapped in D50 and we also struggle burst-run across the longer grounds.

we train to defend and attack using width.
Interesting analysis, Carts.

So our coaches must develop a strategy that works better on skinny grounds. We can't trust or hope that we only get finals on grounds that suit us.

MCG 146 m wide
GABBA 150 m wide

Adelaide Oval 124 m wide
Marvel Stadium 129 m wide

I’m sold on this. They’re significant numbers.

Media hasn’t cottoned on but you can bet other clubs are aware of the challenge we pose on wide grounds.

Watch out for the hand-wringing if we get an armchair ride through Queensland.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
MCG 146 m wide
GABBA 150 m wide

Adelaide Oval 124 m wide

Media hasn’t cottoned on but you can bet other clubs are aware of the challenge we pose on wide grounds.

I was really enjoying these numbers carts

Until i read metricon is 134m wide

My eyes say we play it very well?

I suppose its as close to mcg width as it is to AO?

GMDMA is 110m wide FFS.

Perth is now 130 wide ( 8m wider than subiaco was) which surprised me.

Enough of width, lets look at time.

In a normal season, its only mid July.

MCG 146 m wide
GABBA 150 m wide

Adelaide Oval 124 m wide

Im not even convinced the media/public think that much about us and dimensions of grounds at all , ( for sure opposition coaches would )

I think they think our advantage at the G is more about the tiger army and not having to travel ,

if we keep winning in QLD there will be some head scratching :)

Comprehensively beaten by Port.

Question marks over their ability to win finals in QLD but they were objectively superior to us on Saturday.

If they can replicate that pressure in Sep/Oct they will be difficult to beat, as much as it pains me to say it.
They are very good and have some talented youngsters. But take away the centre clearance dominance (I reckon Nank/Cotchin/Prestia make a little difference here) and it exposes a pretty fragile defence.

I'm not really concerned facing them with our best side in QLD. At home they'll represent a challenge for anyone.

Reactions: 1 users

We have a good recent record there but the opposition hasn't been strong. That includes the recent Brisbane game as I don't think they played very well at all.

Goes some way to explain our Gabba dominance, even though personnel/game style has changed a lot over the last 8 years.

It's a factor for sure. We really want finals played in Qld.

They are very good and have some talented youngsters. But take away the centre clearance dominance (I reckon Nank/Cotchin/Prestia make a little difference here) and it exposes a pretty fragile defence.

I'm not really concerned facing them with our best side in QLD. At home they'll represent a challenge for anyone.

Their defence has been good this year, they have conceded very little. But we scored 71% of the time going into forward 50 last Saturday, in contrast StKilda beat Port scoring 32% of the times they entered their forward 50.

What this tells me is what most of us have been saying above, we lost it in the middle. As Dimma pointed out, losing in the middle on the Adelaide Oval is a recipe for disaster.

Now, we need to fix the midfield against Port, something we should be able to address pretty well with some players back like Prestia and maybe Nank (although Soldo looked knackered against Brisbane so I suspect not 100% 4 days later). Still, we must win more ball in the middle or at the very least make sure any clearance by the opposition is low quality and under immense pressure.

You can bet that Port noticed the high scoring percentage per inside 50 Richmond achieved and will work on that for any future game, their defence will not be so fragile next time, as long as our mids are not so fragile we are capable of winning.

DS

I suppose its as close to mcg width as it is to AO?

GMDMA is 110m wide FFS.

Perth is now 130 wide ( 8m wider than subiaco was) which surprised me.

Enough of width, lets look at time.

In a normal season, its only mid July.
Width is more important than length ;)