Gameday .... Round 17 .... Us versus Them | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Gameday .... Round 17 .... Us versus Them

Of interest, I came on at half time last night and saw higher than usual levels of criticism of the umpires so I popped the game into the coding system. When I have a chance in the next few days I'll do a full decision by decision review and post it.
This would be fantastic TBR, but I have a question.
Would it be a review of just the correctness of the umpires decisions made? Or include all the decisions that us fans believe the umpires blatantly missed?

Biggest gripe I ever have with the multi coloured mouldy maggots is there's a massive disparity between the technicality of infringements paid to opposition sides to us. I know we push hard on the boundaries of umpiring at times during games, but it's been very bloody rare over the last few years that we've received the so called rub of the green in decision making by the umpies n this is probably what frustrates us fans more than anything. There is after all supposed to be one set of rules that both sides are adjudicated by.

Reactions: 1 user
They are probably incomprehensible when only read with one eye. ;)

There is a second possibility to the scenario I describe which is the one that happened. If you take the AFL.com video back a few frames from the hands in the back still there's a few things to note. At about the 2 second mark Balta realises he is under the ball and props. He tries to get back and drops his knees into a lower position and ends up with his weight way back and his feet forward as he tries to hold his ground. Terrible position, weak base and no chance to do anything but fly forward if he gets impact from the back.

Hawkins closes the space and if you stop it again just before the 3 second mark there is no space between them, and Hawkins is using his forearms, shoulder, chest, hips and thighs to put 105kg plus into Balta to shift him, which is easy because of Balta's position.

It's classic Hawkins body work and exactly the reason you don't play him from in front.

Once he has monstered Balta and shifted him, he extends the arms, holds him out and probably helps him along even further with a bit more of a push, but he is allowed to do that. And before the inevitable listen to the umpire lover TBR say you can push someone in the back let me explain that.

I'm not sure how many people commenting have read the rules but here is the relevant one just in case anyone is unaware of it:

A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick in a Marking contest against a Player where the Player:
  1. (a) pushes or bumps an opposition Player in the back, unless such contact is incidental to the Marking contest and the Player is legitimately Marking, attempting to Mark or spoil the football;
Given there is no argument Hawkins is legitimately trying to mark the ball even if he gave a push at the end, it was after he had already beaten Balta in the bodywork so it is reasonable to say it is incidental to the contest.

Of further interest Bruce McAvaney, who is never shy about calling a missed free kick only mentions the dropped mark and they don't mention a push on the replay either and for those wearing the commentators hate Richmond tin foil hats, Balta, who is always happy to let the umpires know his thoughts, doesn't look for a free in the contest or react afterwards.

So there you have it. After an analysis of the incident and an application of the rules and I agree with the split second call made by the umpire. It's not trolling or contrarianism or anything else but an opinion on an incident in a game of footy.
Hey TBR, forget those guys, they don’t get it. How’s Rob OGormon going, he’s been in good form lately. Like him in the upcoming finals, he,ll be tip top by then. I’m a bit concerned about Leigh Fischer though, been out of form lately, needs to lift a bit. How about young Paul Rebeschini, reckon he’s gunna be a good un.

Its gunna be a great finals series for us though, reckon we,re gunna back to back! GoUmps!

Reactions: 1 users
This would be fantastic TBR, but I have a question.
Would it be a review of just the correctness of the umpires decisions made? Or include all the decisions that us fans believe the umpires blatantly missed?

Biggest gripe I ever have with the multi coloured mouldy maggots is there's a massive disparity between the technicality of infringements paid to opposition sides to us. I know we push hard on the boundaries of umpiring at times during games, but it's been very bloody rare over the last few years that we've received the so called rub of the green in decision making by the umpies n this is probably what frustrates us fans more than anything. There is after all supposed to be one set of rules that both sides are adjudicated by.

All teams push the boundaries and you expect to concede free kicks sometimes, it is just the way it is and quite reasonable really.

Trouble is we don't seem to get the free kicks back as the opposition pushes the boundaries too.

DS

These part was the best.

"I get the feeling with Baker that if you were about to cross a minefield and you needed someone to go first, by the time you looked to see if anyone was going to volunteer, he’d already be poking the ground up ahead with a stick.

Ridiculous courage, a no-nonsense game style and some of the best hair in the caper – he’d be my choice."

Reactions: 2 users

These part was the best.

"I get the feeling with Baker that if you were about to cross a minefield and you needed someone to go first, by the time you looked to see if anyone was going to volunteer, he’d already be poking the ground up ahead with a stick.

Ridiculous courage, a no-nonsense game style and some of the best hair in the caper – he’d be my choice."

These part was the best.

I loved that, too. It’s how many of us feel about Bakes. The Mongrel is usually a fairly good read.

Great article from the Mongrel. Interesting points about Prestia replacing Shai part time in the middle, Shai forcing Rioli or George out of the team.

Also did Scotty from Geelong decide not to show his hand by picking Jervis instead of Jenkins? Wouldn't have won them the game but maybe that's a finals option for the Cats.

just watched the game again should have been 11- 80 at 3/4 time. we need to score better

Reactions: 3 users
I hate all these short, low-scoring games. It keeps sides who have been flogged in the game longer than they deserve.
It makes it like soccer.
We were up 43-11 at three quarter time - that's just on four times their score.
Last year, the average score was 80, or 160 combined per game, or 120 combined over the first three quarters.
That extrapolates to 96-24 at three quarter time. Game over.
And that's before you even bring inaccuracy into it (both teams were equally bad in that area).

I hate all these short, low-scoring games. It keeps sides who have been flogged in the game longer than they deserve.

That is what they want to achieve 23. So jerk off's like Brian Taylor can scream their nuts off about how exciting it is.

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Great article from the Mongrel. Interesting points about Prestia replacing Shai part time in the middle, Shai forcing Rioli or George out of the team.

Also did Scotty from Geelong decide not to show his hand by picking Jervis instead of Jenkins? Wouldn't have won them the game but maybe that's a finals option for the Cats.
Since Josh only had 1 game this year in Rd 16, no goals, I doubt Dimma is too concerned about him playing finals. Can be a very damaging player but also goes MIA when needed most, like the 2017 GF. The weight of expectation and the relentless Tiger pressure got to him and Tex and a few others. Tex has never been the same player since. When big blokes are out of form they really stand out which may make it harder for them to cope with the public scrutiny.

Since Josh only had 1 game this year in Rd 16, no goals, I doubt Dimma is too concerned about him playing finals. Can be a very damaging player but also goes MIA when needed most, like the 2017 GF. The weight of expectation and the relentless Tiger pressure got to him and Tex and a few others. Tex has never been the same player since. When big blokes are out of form they really stand out which may make it harder for them to cope with the public scrutiny.

No doubt, but the article is making the point Dimma/Grimes would have had to pay JJ some respect, whereas they paid no respect to the first gamer, allowing us to double/triple team Hawkins.

Don't forget that adding Jenkins to the mix also changes the way Hawkins has to play. Jenkins is not going to clear out the forward half to leave Hawkins one-on-one like he has been almost all year. I for one would not be at all concerned if they played a second tall up forward. I think our defensive system would still stand up.

Don't forget that adding Jenkins to the mix also changes the way Hawkins has to play. Jenkins is not going to clear out the forward half to leave Hawkins one-on-one like he has been almost all year. I for one would not be at all concerned if they played a second tall up forward. I think our defensive system would still stand up.
All you need to do to limit Jenkins’ output is keep him out of the goal square.

• Haha

I have great faith it would too, just found the idea that Scotty might be playing funny buggers interesting.