Geelong v Richmond - Rd1 Sun 28 August 20222 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Geelong v Richmond - Rd1 Sun 28 August 20222

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
My wife said that women are not built suitably for contact sport.
If women want to play footy in the AFL, good on them, but as a spectator sport it does not excite or tick the right boxes.
The "skill" at ground level is very poor and have to admit we turned the game off after 1/2 time.
I actually dont mind the Womans game. There are quality sides in the comp however looking at our game yesterday it is clear that we still have 30-40% of the team that have barely any quality skill sets.

Based on last year I thought we were much further ahead.

This year there are extra spots in the final so we should be aiming for those but losing 50-50 games against also rans means we will be struggling

Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
When AFLW first began, I watched a couple of matches and it wasn't for me. I thought the skills were sub par at the time, and the overall look of the game wasn't that appealing.

This week's game drew me in.

I enjoyed the game overall, and think the quality of the teams has improved dramatically in a short period of time. The skills are respectable and enjoyable to watch. They defend really well. And the way our midfielders found space and handballed to each other was nice to watch.

Most of all, the game just looks like a Richmond game. There was something about the way the players work as a team, support each other, tap the ball to someone nearby, their general positioning, etc. that was very familiar, so it feels like I'm watching a team that's clearly reflective of the club's culture.

It's a big improvement compared to the last time I watched.

Last but not least - they even got screwed over by umpires favouring Geelong with dodgy free kicks just like in the men's competition, so overall it's a much more familiar game now, and I'll watch them more often as the season unfolds.

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
This thread is (sadly) a text book example of an echo chamber .................. (albeit with one or two dissenters) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The idea that the media (and this thread) are trying to spin positives on the game is simply farcical. What ever happened to honesty and integrity and truth in reporting????

The Emperor has no clothes - and no matter how you spin it the game is a farce.

3 goals in an entire match (the last one from a dubious free!!)

Any well drilled U15 boys team would give the AFLW Tigers a smashing. Lets stop pretending otherwise. Id much prefer that we had a Super Netball Team (as is the historical link with Aussie Rules and Netball Clubs) than watch women try and do something that they are simply not designed nor readily capable of doing................

Just because it wears a Tigers jersey doesn't make it right ;)

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Sir, I think if you watched a season 7 game from the VFL (1903) you would be appalled, and the current U15s would likely play better football, they just might not get off the ground alive.

Give it time, the reality is that the skills have improved a lot over the last few years, watch Brisbane v Freo or Adelaide v Melbourne for a better look at what is possible.

Yes, they are not near the skills in the men's comp.

But we will really know women's Australian Rules football has got to a decent level when the game develops to be slightly different to the men's game. Different strengths and weaknesses between the sexes and that will eventually be reflected in slightly different versions of the game.

DS

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Why do they persist with 16 a side when playing on full size grounds most of the time ?

The Shittery is 170m long, that's 5 kicks for the women if they go straight down the guts

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Why do they persist with 16 a side when playing on full size grounds most of the time ?

The Shittery is 170m long, that's 5 kicks for the women if they go straight down the guts

While we're at it, can they do the boundary throw in from the boundary line?

DS

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Yeah, as usual, just go through the formality and leave it under the carpet. It's only Richmond!!

1661746870832.png

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Yeah, as usual, just go through the formality and leave it under the carpet. It's only Richmond!!

View attachment 16530
Yeah, interesting article. ..... just ends right there. .... Where's the "We sincerely apologize to Richmond for stealing the 4 points!"

Did ya notice the little bit about that it should have been awarded to "power forward" so and so? This is to have us all believe said "power forward" would have kicked it anyway.... crooks!

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005

View attachment 16530
There's a new statement kind of like "potential to cause injury". Excessive rotation WTF is that? Too many spins, the velocity, diameter was too large????? AFL will apply this only when it suits them.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
There's a new statement kind of like "potential to cause injury". Excessive rotation WTF is that? Too many spins, the velocity, diameter was too large????? AFL will apply this only when it suits them.
Yep. I wish I could use infinite excuses everytime I made an error.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Blobbo raises this issue and that we should've called for it, but Mince just smiles and doesn't give a......

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I hate the constant comparisons between the men's & women's competitions. The women's comp is a totally different sport to the men's.. with different rules, at a different stage of development, played by a different sex.
The comparisons do absolutely no favours to either competition & the AFL itself is as culpable as anyone for making these nonsensical comparisons.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I watched it but was frustrated by the player a kick behind the play. The girls lack the penetration to kick over the player

Made me think it would benefit from a fixed 5-6-5 set up and a few other tweaks to make it free flowing.