General Trade Discussion 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

General Trade Discussion 2022

If Taranto can become a 25 goal midfielder then we get a favourable return on investment. That's the benchmark but there's still plenty of uncertainty from my perspective.

True Mids who kicked 25 goals in 2022.

The Bont.

End list. False economy.

Cripps, Warner, and McLuggage all kicked 20. Petracca kicked 19. That's your peak AFL mids.

Most goals in a season ever by Mitchell, 15. Most by Taratno, 13. Goal kicking is a wash either way. Asking Taratno to get 25 isn't going to happen, he is playing midfield to allow Dusty and Shai to play forward more. The question is do you get 25 out of Dusty? You know you are getting that from Shai. Dusty's output is your goal measurement of the deal.

For me it's about can you win a flag with Tom Mitchell in 2023 and 2024. Because after that, Taranto's input will be much more than Mitchell who I think would actually want three years to move clubs. You'd be paying a declining vet similar money.

Reactions: 4 users
So Cats get pick 7 plus Bowes and his $1.6m contract paid over the next 2 years? What are they giving back? Plus are they obliged to pay him as contracted; i.e. $800K per year for the next 2 years? Or has the AFL senior management (Chris Scott and Steve Hocking) written some new rule that no one else knows about which allows them to spread the $1.6m over the next 4 years?

Reactions: 2 users
True Mids who kicked 25 goals in 2022.

The Bont.

End list. False economy.

Cripps, Warner, and McLuggage all kicked 20. Petracca kicked 19. That's your peak AFL mids.

Most goals in a season ever by Mitchell, 15. Most by Taratno, 13. Goal kicking is a wash either way. Asking Taratno to get 25 isn't going to happen, he is playing midfield to allow Dusty and Shai to play forward more. The question is do you get 25 out of Dusty? You know you are getting that from Shai. Dusty's output is your goal measurement of the deal.

For me it's about can you win a flag with Tom Mitchell in 2023 and 2024. Because after that, Taranto's input will be much more than Mitchell who I think would actually want three years to move clubs. You'd be paying a declining vet similar money.
The window is the next 2 years and if as you say Taranto will be a full time mid then I think we're paying overs. I'm glad you mentioned McCluggage because he's trending up, Taranto stalling & that's the best comparison out there given both were from the same draft & both had nearly identical junior CV's.

I would be totally fine with Taranto plus a key forward, that's a reasonable compromise, you could even twist my arm with Keeler & Taranto but Hopper will make that impossible. When I look at what is going out, 12, 19, 31 and next year's first, I'm not over the moon, the thought of being a spectator at next year's draft concerns me greatly. Geelong's play for Bowes also rubs a bit of salt into the wounds, if they walk away with Jefferson I'll be gutted, shades of the Doggies walking away with English after winning the silverware.

Reactions: 1 user
So Cats get pick 7 plus Bowes and his $1.6m contract paid over the next 2 years? What are they giving back? Plus are they obliged to pay him as contracted; i.e. $800K per year for the next 2 years? Or has the AFL senior management (Chris Scott and Steve Hocking) written some new rule that no one else knows about which allows them to spread the $1.6m over the next 4 years?
Probably have, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

He can't be worse off, as has been said, they've bought a pick 7 for $2mill, thats if Bowes doesn't work out and stays a depth player. What would I do if I was them? Sit pat year one, fork out the $800k. If he works out and plays seniors, then 2 more on $550K? If he doesn't work out, obviously fork out another $800K in 2024.

Tigers go for 2 Giants players ......apocalyptic Tigers need to pay 4 first rounders and players blah blah blagh,

Cats win flag after having rules changed for them to help them.

Want 3 players and a free pick #7 nothing to see here ....great management and great Club everyone wants to move there blah blah blah.

Anyone looking at these alleged Real Estate shenanigans down there.

FMD this competition is cooked.

Have gamed the entire competiton with all the inside knowledge.
This is *smile*. *smile* you AFL.

Geelong are super keen on Jhye Clark. That's part of their play on pick 7. Fall back being Jefferson possibly.

They'll probably have to deal up for Clark, so I wont be surprised if they aren't finished wheeling and dealing.

He can't be worse off, as has been said, they've bought a pick 7 for $2mill, thats if Bowes doesn't work out and stays a depth player. What would I do if I was them? Sit pat year one, fork out the $800k. If he works out and plays seniors, then 2 more on $550K? If he doesn't work out, obviously fork out another $800K in 2024.
So they definitely can't split the $1.6M over 3 or 4 years; rather than 2 years per the existing contract; to mitigate the annual impact to the salary cap?

I get the first scenario you outlined; overall Bowes is better off and he gets more money and a 3rd year.

They will need to give something back

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09...ve-in-return-for-jack-bowes-salary-dump-deal/

So talk now about WCE/Port/NM doing a deal for 2/8/F1/Rioli and JHF.

Port = JHF and Rioli
NM = Pick 2
WCE = pick 8 and F1.

So talk now about WCE/Port/NM doing a deal for 2/8/F1/Rioli and JHF.

Port = JHF and Rioli
NM = Pick 2
WCE = pick 8 and F1.

West Coast surely wouldn't do that for only 8 and a F1 that might not even be in the top 10. Port surely would need to give up at least 27 along with those picks.

Edit - though they have traded 27 out now

Seems like Brisbane will send pick 21 and F1 to Footscray for Dunkley.

Compares to Taranto deal at 13 and 20.

Must be something else you'd hope, or its overs by us on Taranto.

Last edited:
Seems like Brisbane will send pick 16 and F1 to Footscray for Dunkley.

Compares to Taranto deal at 13 and 20.

Brisbane traded pick 15 away today. They can't trade it to the Dogs.

I think they are hoping to trade F1 and either 21 or 25. Either way, its less than we traded for Taranto. I'm struggling to see how Brisbane can do this without trading another player out.

BTW might be more value in some of our "duds" if the Ben Long trade is anything to go by. Pick 32 (with a F4 going back to GC). Other than being tough, I don't even really know his skillset (even though he's played 79 games).

Brisbane traded pick 15 away today. They can't trade it to the Dogs.

I think they are hoping to trade F1 and either 21 or 25. Either way, its less than we traded for Taranto. I'm struggling to see how Brisbane can do this without trading another player out.
Dont forget they also need points for Ashcroft and the other chap too. Gunna be interesting to see how they do this

Dermie asked that question on Fox footy. Why would a player affectively agree to halve his salary, and then/if given that he is happy to do that, why not do it with the Suns. (Ralphy garbled something about more opportunity but how can a guy get a game at Geelong but not at the Suns).

Makes no sense.

Reactions: 3 users