General Trade Discussion 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

General Trade Discussion 2022

What a bs situation Geelong and Brisbane are creating. They’ve over promised to Henry and Dunkley respectively. Particularly Geelong.

For now, neither club has, or is willing to depart, with the necessary collateral to get a fair deal done and now they expect Cwood and the Dogs to just roll over and accept their way unders offers because it’s in the “best interests” of the player.

The problem and difficulty isn’t with Cwood and the Dogs - I’m sure they’d let both go if the player doesn’t want to be there. The problem lies with Geelong and Brisbane who have backed themselves into an under-funded corner.

They probably won’t, but both clubs should tell them to F off and send them into the Drafts and say to each player “Sorry, but this is indicative of the club that you are trying to get to so, sorry, it’s us or the Draft unless they sort their problems out. We’re not carrying the can for the situation that they have created for you.”

Brisbane will probably dip into F1 next year and add it to 21 to finally get it done, but 25 for Henry is absurd.
Yeah Geelong and Brisbane are dead set taking the p!ss. We give 12 & 19 for Taranto; maybe a bit overs nut not far off a fair price. That is the benchmark for the Dunkley deal who is at least as well performed as Taranto and a recent B&F winner. Yet the Lions expect two picks in the 30s back? *smile* off. I hope both them and Geelong miss out on their targets. Mackie is an imbecile; total FIGJAM wanker.

What about Ollie Henry?? Homesick living an hour down the road. What a massive softo. Makes Archie Perkins look resilient.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Yeah Geelong and Brisbane are dead set taking the p!ss. We give 12 & 19 for Taranto; maybe a bit overs nut not far off a fair price. That is the benchmark for the Dunkley deal who is at least as well performed as Taranto and a recent B&F winner. Yet the Lions expect two picks in the 30s back? *smile* off. I hope both them and Geelong miss out on their targets. Mackie is an imbecile; total FIGJAM wanker.

What about Ollie Henry?? Homesick living an hour down the road. What a massive softo. Makes Archie Perkins look resilient.
It would appear to my untrained eye that what Geelong and that fwit Mackie are trying to do is create enough Draft capital post of Henry so that they can try to move up the Draft and secure Jhye Clark. Right now pick 7 doesn’t guarantee it.

That’s why they’re being aholes over both Esava and Henry.

Mackie in his first season as list manager proving out the ahole that he is said to be. He’s backed himself into a bit of a corner and is trying to play the tough guy to get himself out.

Reactions: 1 users
What a bs situation Geelong and Brisbane are creating. They’ve over promised to Henry and Dunkley respectively. Particularly Geelong.

For now, neither club has, or is willing to depart, with the necessary collateral to get a fair deal done and now they expect Cwood and the Dogs to just roll over and accept their way unders offers because it’s in the “best interests” of the player.

The problem and difficulty isn’t with Cwood and the Dogs - I’m sure they’d let both go if the player doesn’t want to be there. The problem lies with Geelong and Brisbane who have backed themselves into an under-funded corner.

They probably won’t, but both clubs should tell them to F off and send them into the Drafts and say to each player “Sorry, but this is indicative of the club that you are trying to get to so, sorry, it’s us or the Draft unless they sort their problems out. We’re not carrying the can for the situation that they have created for you.”

Brisbane will probably dip into F1 next year and add it to 21 to finally get it done, but 25 for Henry is absurd.

The other guilty party are the players mgrs (especially in Dunkley's case)..

Pickering should have known it would be very difficult for Brisbane to create the draft capital to get Dunkley. Even Posh and others on here were saying it when this move was announced.

To alleviate this stress, he should be advising his client to choose a club that can enable the trade (maybe he did and Dunkley ignored).

In any event, it again shows us in good light to other player mgrs (and players) choose RFC and we will do the right thing and get you in stress free.

It's why all those having a sook on here over the past week were very short sighted.

It also seems like Geelong can't even provide that comfort of getting deals done now Mackie is doing negotiations.

Reactions: 6 users
The other guilty party are the players mgrs (especially in Dunkley's case)..

Pickering should have known it would be very difficult for Brisbane to create the draft capital to get Dunkley. Even Posh and others on here were saying it when this move was announced.

To alleviate this stress, he should be advising his client to choose a club that can enable the trade (maybe he did and Dunkley ignored).

In any event, it again shows us in good light to other player mgrs (and players) choose RFC and we will do the right thing and get you in stress free.

It's why all those having a sook on here over the past week were very short sighted.

It also seems like Geelong can't even provide that comfort of getting deals done now Mackie is doing negotiations.
What that ahole Mackie has done is backed himself into a corner and he’s trying to muscle and intimidate Cwood to get out.

He knows pick 7 is touch and go for getting Jhye Clark so he’s 1) not accepting the already overs pick 33 for Esava and b) not using any of it to get the Henry deal done.

I reckon he’s looking to take 7 and 33 (or whatever) and trade up a spot if he can and give himself the best chance possible of getting Clark - but trying to rip off Cwood and Port in the process.

Stand firm Cwood. This is all Geelong’s own doing by being smart arses.

Reactions: 5 users
I still can't get my head around the Bowes trade.

Once again the AFL have changed the rules on the run primarily to bail out their AFL baby's ass with (surprise surprise) Geelong being the beneficiary.
There's no way known we'd have been given such help from this AFL mob.
It absolutely stinks.

Geelong took advantage of it, but the idea of an AFL sanctioned salary dump is a result of the Trelor trade when he was traded to the doggies in the final minutes of the trade period, then Doggies and Pies needed to be dragged into mediation to work out how much of Trelor's salary would be paid for by the Pies.

Another knee jerk band-aid rule change.

Reactions: 1 user

Once again the AFL have changed the rules on the run primarily to bail out their AFL baby's ass with (surprise surprise) Geelong being the beneficiary.
It absolutely stinks.

Obviously still paying them for stealing Bambi Ablett from them.

The situations haven't been created so much by Brisbane or Geelong, as much as they have by poorly advised players.

Dunkley has pulled this stunt twice, and each time it has been with a club that does not have the resources to make a deal or make a deal commensurate with his value.

As for Henry, for all the criticism JHF has copped (rightly or wrongly), is a far bigger sook. If you can't handle a 1 hour drive up the highway or have such a burning desire to play with your hometown team (who coincidentally won a premiership) AND with your brother, pick a different career.

Reactions: 9 users

It absolutely stinks.

Yep, none of those trades in isolation look logical. Cannot be a coincidence.

It absolutely stinks.

These are all dodgy transactions, none of which are grounded in any kind of logic. Why would you give up a future first round pick for a second round pick and then throw in a bit more?

I think there is another dodgy transaction between these two clubs. When GAJ decided he wanted to return home, Geelong also lost Motlop to Free Agency. Suddenly, they got a first round pick as compensation and traded it for GAJ. First round compensation? For Motlop? On a reasonable but hardly lucrative contract at Port? Same year, Ellis to GC was end of second round and he took a life changing deal that he couldn’t refuse.

All these transactions are on the nose and it is made worse because they all involve the same two clubs.

Collusion? These fail the pub test, at the very least. What would an independent investigation find?

Reactions: 12 users
And by the way, what other elite sports competition has the majority of its clubs as independent entities bound together in the spirit of competition and two clubs, GC and GWS, which are effectively under administration from the Governing body?

Imagine the outcry if the NAB found itself unable to compete with the other banks and the Reserve Bank put them under its administration!

Heads would explode!

Are the Tiges done do we reckon? What about a late pick for Dow’s bro?
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
As for Henry, for all the criticism JHF has copped (rightly or wrongly), is a far bigger sook. If you can't handle a 1 hour drive up the highway or have such a burning desire to play with your hometown team (who coincidentally won a premiership) AND with your brother, pick a different career.

Spot on St Kev, this 'go home' *smile* is killing everything the AFL is trying to achieve in terms of equalisation and needs to be stopped.

I'm not sure how they do it, maybe some sort of salary cap penalty would be a good start, but it needs to change. When you are an adult you seek your career and make your life where ever it takes you, people should get over the need to cry for mummy on their first school camp.

Even more ridiculous when you consider how pampered interstate players are. They are get half a dozen or so airfares for their parents to come and visit them from clubs, and then their managers top up another few as well.

Reactions: 10 users
Spot on St Kev, this 'go home' *smile* is killing everything the AFL is trying to achieve in terms of equalisation and needs to be stopped.

I'm not sure how they do it, maybe some sort of salary cap penalty would be a good start, but it needs to change. When you are an adult you seek your career and make your life where ever it takes you, people should get over the need to cry for mummy on their first school camp.

Even more ridiculous when you consider how pampered interstate players are. They are get half a dozen or so airfares for their parents to come and visit them from clubs, and then their managers top up another few as well.

In terms of attempting to fix it, 2 things spring to mind:

1. Longer rookie contracts;
2. A loyalty bonus for players who do stick around (paid % outside the cap).

I imagine the AFLPA will be seduced by option 2, but will rail against option 1.