General Trade Discussion 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

General Trade Discussion 2022

Spot on St Kev, this 'go home' *smile* is killing everything the AFL is trying to achieve in terms of equalisation and needs to be stopped.

I'm not sure how they do it, maybe some sort of salary cap penalty would be a good start, but it needs to change. When you are an adult you seek your career and make your life where ever it takes you, people should get over the need to cry for mummy on their first school camp.

Even more ridiculous when you consider how pampered interstate players are. They are get half a dozen or so airfares for their parents to come and visit them from clubs, and then their managers top up another few as well.

Its remarkable when you look back at how Lynch was treated when he joined us, both in the media and by the GC players and compare this to Henry in particular.

Lynch was pillaried despite giving 8 years of service to GC (whats that 1,500-1,600kms from home). Henry moves 75km from home and wants to go "home" after 2 years. Its quite ridiculous.

Maybe even if the AFL bring something in that says for those on rookie contracts, they may not be traded to clubs in the same state at the end of their rookie contract.

Reactions: 6 users
Equalisation doesn’t work anyway. If it did, teams would be bouncing up and down the ladder every year. All that has happened over the last 20 years is that Richmond has moved from basket case to contender and Hawthorn has gone the other way. Geelong, Sydney, West Coast, Port and Collingwood have generally been always up there during this period. The other clubs have had their moments but have generally been average.

Reactions: 1 users
Tell you what. Mcrae better hope next year is an improvement on this one or the ferals will maul him if they decline. Personally i can't see them having a better year than the current one. Luck will run out and some of their duds that played above themselves will come back to form.

Know many Pies supporters that are filthy Grundy has been shown the door.

Gonna be an interesting year next year. Will be sweet to see them turning on each other

C’mon Blair! Get the Dustin Martin to Sydney trade done, dammit. I’ve been waiting five months and you’re gunna drag it out to the last second.

We need to get back into the top 10 picks.

Not happy Jan.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
The situations haven't been created so much by Brisbane or Geelong, as much as they have by poorly advised players.

Dunkley has pulled this stunt twice, and each time it has been with a club that does not have the resources to make a deal or make a deal commensurate with his value.

As for Henry, for all the criticism JHF has copped (rightly or wrongly), is a far bigger sook. If you can't handle a 1 hour drive up the highway or have such a burning desire to play with your hometown team (who coincidentally won a premiership) AND with your brother, pick a different career.
It’s the clubs though that tell a player and his manager whether they think they can facilitate a trade and get him in.

It’s the clubs though that tell a player and his manager whether they think they can facilitate a trade and get him in.

I'd have thought the manager approaches the club in first instance. A club can say whatever it likes about whether they 'think' they can facilitate a trade. Someone like Pickering should have been around the block enough times to know whether or not that is likely, and blind Freddie knew Brisbane had 2 father son prospects to bid on and the Gunston links started well before the Dunkley links.

Surely you jest TT!!!???
It has been on trade talk all year Gray.

All the AFL media commentators have been all over it since the beginning of the season. Dustin even bought property in Sydney and was seen up there.

How could you not know that this was a thing? :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Blair Hartley on AFL Trade Radio soon, the silent assassin, the first we will of heard from in the whole trade period which i personally like.

Reactions: 8 users
Jason McCartney just spoke really well, very amicable dealing with Blair.

Reason we got the late picks back, (which they weren't going to use), was because Richmond are taking full contract off hands, another reason why they didn't want to bring Soldo's salary on their books, Blair up next.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Spot on St Kev, this 'go home' *smile* is killing everything the AFL is trying to achieve in terms of equalisation and needs to be stopped.

I'm not sure how they do it, maybe some sort of salary cap penalty would be a good start, but it needs to change. When you are an adult you seek your career and make your life where ever it takes you, people should get over the need to cry for mummy on their first school camp.

Even more ridiculous when you consider how pampered interstate players are. They are get half a dozen or so airfares for their parents to come and visit them from clubs, and then their managers top up another few as well.
Agree, buy the go home factor doesn't even apply to the OH case. He is home. Perth to packenham, I can see the argument, but even then it's a but soft, but Geelong to Melbourne? It's ludicrous. Either he is soft as butter or is getting some bad advice.

The Blues have been quiet this trade period, obviously still glowing from their coup last year when they picked up that outside midfielder Cerra.

It has been on trade talk all year Gray.

All the AFL media commentators have been all over it since the beginning of the season. Dustin even bought property in Sydney and was seen up there.

How could you not know that this was a thing? :unsure:
It has to happen you would think. There's no way that all those journos could bark up the wrong tree for so long and waste so many people's time.

• Haha
I'd have thought the manager approaches the club in first instance. A club can say whatever it likes about whether they 'think' they can facilitate a trade. Someone like Pickering should have been around the block enough times to know whether or not that is likely, and blind Freddie knew Brisbane had 2 father son prospects to bid on and the Gunston links started well before the Dunkley links.
Who makes the decision on whether a player can get to a club ? Club or player manager ?

No manager or player in the history of AFL football has said we’re off to club ABC without club ABC saying first: a) we want you and; b) we think we can get you here.

Last edited:
Listening to Blair, sounds like Syd and RCD are available to any clubs that are interested. It's not surprising with RCD, but is a bit with Syd because he's so versatile.

Just listening to BH on trade radio. Sounds like RCD and SS could be in trouble keeping a spot...

Blair Hartley on AFL Trade Radio soon, the silent assassin, the first we will of heard from in the whole trade period which i personally like.

Brilliant interview with Blair, we are in good hands :clap2