General Trade Discussion 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

General Trade Discussion 2022

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Schache has at least kicked 24 goals in a season, that would probably be the rationale if he can hit those heights.
Don’t like Schache chances at the dees.
They’ve created a culture of eating their own. Schache will struggle

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Biggest problem for expansion clubs is having to overpay to keep high draft picks after their initial two years.

Other clubs come circling with the go home factor, so they either need to let them go - which GC did with Rankine.

Or match (or in most cases better) to keep them i.e. Lukosius - now on estimated $600K per year...

Tough cycle.
Yep. Rather than throwing handouts when clubs are really bad, they should actually get on the front foot, explain the issue, and raise the salary cap of those 2 clubs. giving the Suns easier access to their academy players wasnt a bad move, but in general giving them more picks just gives them more players to pay and to lose.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I don't see how Melbourne have actually improved their list, this year. They are treading water at best.

I agree. In fact I would say they have gone backwards. They've replaced a young star in Jackson with an old war horse in Grundy, Weidmann and Schache cancel out, perhaps a small gain with Hunter over Hunt. But they've only got pick 13 and 37. That's not great business

Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I agree. In fact I would say they have gone backwards. They've replaced a young star in Jackson with an old war horse in Grundy, Weidmann and Schache cancel out, perhaps a small gain with Hunter over Hunt. But they've only got pick 13 and 37. That's not great business
They also bought into next year's draft, I think we can only judge in 4 years & much will be dependent on the rookies the select. Pick 13 buys you a decent mid, Hollands or Hewett, maybe Jefferson slides as well.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
There is one thing Geelong have achieved this year. They have sent a clear message to the other 17 clubs to leave their Geelong Falcons stars to them. They will take them away first chance they get.

if they want Clark, no-one will take him earlier.
Ol' Cooper is a bit of a fly in the ointment of that theory.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Agree. Gawn kicked 13 and Jackson 11 in 22. I don't think that a Gawn / Grundy pairing will score much more than that.

The problem that Melbourne have, is the game is becoming quicker, and the teams at the top are becoming more potent in attack. They rely on their defence, because they struggle to score and I don't see anything that have done that will change that.

Against the top 8 in 2021 when they won the flag, Melbourne went 8 and 2. Last year it was 5 and 6. Whilst they increased their scoring marginally (4), they conceded a lot more, 9 more points against, as teams increased their scoring potency.

I don't see how Melbourne have actually improved their list, this year. They are treading water at best.
Melbourne have the best midfield in the comp, the best ruck division & a pretty solid defensive spine. They are definitely missing a key forward, Schache doesn't solve that crisis but he might kick 30 in a season, I think the Dees might even go hard for Jefferson at the draft.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Schache has at least kicked 24 goals in a season, that would probably be the rationale if he can hit those heights.
Schache is a straight replacement for Weideman. Depth and a little bit of hope that maybe he might come good. Both unfulfilled high draft picks

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
Agree. Did the Pussies win trade week because they got fed big meat or did they meet their needs as we and some others have?
7 news declared Geelong won the Grand Final by 81 points and trade week by a similar margin.

They did well undoubtedly, but suggesting they dominated trade week, well that just makes me want to spew up as Terry Wallace says

JR8

Tiger Legend
Apr 23, 2003
Melbourne - Eastern Subs
And then they are coping the reverse malaka where the kids are already set financially much younger so they are happy to take less to come back to Melbourne when they hit the third deal.

The AFL is going to have to do something, either make the initial contracts longer or put a salary cap penalty on them of say 10% of their wage.

reverse malaka!! :rotfl1

You're either Greek or know all the Greek swear words TBR!!!

• Haha

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Hawks clear outcome for this trade period was to secure the Number 1 pick in the 2023 draft.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Hawks clear outcome for this trade period was to secure the Number 1 pick in the 2023 draft.
It’s funny with all the criticism they are getting I actually think they’ve gone about it the right way , we’re clubs have gone wrong in the past by clearing out senior players is they just haven’t drafted good kids , we were guilty of this . As long as you don’t have 35 under 20s on the list and you have outstanding off field staff IMHO it’s the way to go , put out the trash and draft the guns

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
That's the most rose coloured look I've read on this thread. Howe long he been in the system? He plays the same way every time I've ever seen him at AFL level. Poor aerially and useless when the ball hits the ground. Other than that he's great. How any team could select him after everything they've seen is staggering. It's not like he didn't have an opportunity at the Bulldogs. They have been crying out for a second key forward for years. They've had a dominant midfield and a Key forward who takes most of the heat and still Schache couldn't get a consistent gig. He's simply not AFL standard. The Dees have replaced Weideman with an arguably worse player.

Reactions: 4 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It’s funny with all the criticism they are getting I actually think they’ve gone about it the right way , we’re clubs have gone wrong in the past by clearing out senior players is they just haven’t drafted good kids , we were guilty of this . As long as you don’t have 35 under 20s on the list and you have outstanding off field staff IMHO it’s the way to go , put out the trash and draft the guns
Tend to agree. It wasn’t a great trade period for them but I think they are building a decent list with their kids. Can they endure the pain though ?

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Tend to agree. It wasn’t a great trade period for them but I think they are building a decent list with their kids. Can they endure the pain though ?
They are a very very tight unit at the “Family Club” , look there maybe a few more members left at the pound in the next 3 or 4 years , however im sure they’ll be back………eventually.

Im not sure they are of Premiership quality , however they do appear to have potential in a few of their KPP , aggressive rucks and some decent looking young mids