Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

The only ones hurling insults here are you and Gia. If you'd bothered to read the Snopes article you'd see that your petition has fake signatures, including Star Wars characters and 'Dr' Geri Halliwell. The credibility of that petition is non-existent.
I said you were smart didn’t I?

It really is a pointless exercise LtRtR because the world views are completely at odds. The best solution is to break our political bonds and go our separate ways. In no way shape or form do I want to be in political union with the majority of people posting on these boards and I’m sure they feel the same. Win win. Succession is the most peaceful way to avoid the alternative when arguments don’t work.

It's *smile* hard to deal with people who claim it is racist to get "Aboriginal Corporation Tasmania" confused with "Tasmanian Aboriginal Corporation", even after posting a clarification, and their mates who take it as a signal to pile on. I've done more for Aboriginals than 99% of people on this forum and have the receipts to prove it, so for a poster (who knows a little of this from our private conversions) to hit me between the eyes with the "racist" tag then follow me around trying to get a reaction is not *smile* acceptable.

My online persona was dead from that point, so it's going up on the cross.

Reactions: 1 users
It's ****** hard to deal with people who claim it is racist to get "Aboriginal Corporation Tasmania" confused with "Tasmanian Aboriginal Corporation", even after posting a clarification, and their mates who take it as a signal to pile on. I've done more for Aboriginals than 99% of people on this forum and have the receipts to prove it, so for a poster (who knows a little of this from our private conversions) to hit me between the eyes with the "racist" tag then follow me around trying to get a reaction is not ****** acceptable.

My online persona was dead from that point, so it's going up on the cross.
Thing is you give them too much credit. Just accept them for what they really are, don’t waste your time and move on.

Reactions: 1 user
I must say the government has improved its messaging.

(language warning)

A shame, was really enjoying L2's massive own goal with that bizarre 1998 petition from the Oregon Fruit Loop Centre of wookies and spice girls.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
2IONLEh.jpg

Lefties are having a grossly disproportionate say.

Yeah let’s shut down our coal industry because clearly no-one is buying anymore!

It is absolutely a belief. A theory. It is not necessarily correct, given that warm periods have occurred in the past. And I haven't ignored it. The discussion didn't begin when you arrived, you know. But I will indulge you for your own edification.

Three percent of CO2 emissions are attributable to humans. Three percent.

CO2 concentration only began rising markedly after 1950. Therefore you must agree, according to your beliefs, that warming between the Little Ice Age and 1950 was natural, and warming since 1950 man-made. Think about that for a bit.

There are no human fingerprints of global warming. None. You get shitty beliefs like that from reading Cook's website. And the strength of human-caused warming cannot be calculated from first principles. Even if all warming is assumed to be human-caused, the IPCC's climate models are exaggerating climate sensitivity by approximately double. Man's impact is simply not able to be definitively shown. If it was, it would've been done long before now.

To subscribe to alarmism you must believe that a) climate is fragile, b) climate has been relatively stable and unchanging and c) today's climate (or the climate prior to the IR) is a naturally-determined optimum that we should aim to preserve. All three are at least eminently debatable if not simply false.

The difference between warmists and skeptics in a nutshell is that warmists trust models, skeptics trust observations. So you put your trust where you please, and I'll do likewise.

You do realise that in the context of science theory means hypothesis with evidence to back it up? It is not a belief it is the best explanation for observed changes in the climate - but of course, you don't believe the observations do you? Your last sentence is laughable given the number of times you have cherry picked the observations, the number of times you have made baseless assertions about the temperature record (ooh, they only measure temperature every minute it's a plot) ad nauseum. You want respect, earn it.

There are plenty of human fingerprints of climate change, I've detailed many of them here. We burn fossil fuels, it increases the proportion of CO2 in the atmosphere, we know it is the burning of fossil fuels which has led to the increase in CO2 because of the CO2 isotopes, we know that increasing greenhouse gasses enhances the greenhouse effect. Clear causation, clear evidence, you do understand I am not trying to convince you because I know you are unwilling to listen, I'm arguing to convince those who may be trying to work out what is the most likely explanation for observed warming of the climate.

I have never argued climate is fragile. I do know that humans have not lived in a climate a lot warmer than what we have now. I also know that changes in the climate, especially quick changes like we are seeing now, will have a devastating effect on many plants and animals (we have seen this already, past changes in climate have led to large extinction events). Life on this planet will survive but a large extinction event is a high possibility. Do we really want to be the cause of this?

Deniers do not trust observations. We see this every day from you as you undermine and cherry pick data. You call yourself a skeptic and then quote mobs like the Cornwall Alliance? Give me a break, you are only skeptical about that which challenges your chosen position.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
You do realise that in the context of science theory means hypothesis with evidence to back it up? It is not a belief it is the best explanation for observed changes in the climate - but of course, you don't believe the observations do you?
It is the prevailing belief, which most people accept to some degree. But you can't rule out other explanations.
There are plenty of human fingerprints of climate change, I've detailed many of them here. We burn fossil fuels, it increases the proportion of CO2 in the atmosphere, we know it is the burning of fossil fuels which has led to the increase in CO2 because of the CO2 isotopes, we know that increasing greenhouse gasses enhances the greenhouse effect.
Fossil fuels leave a mark, but we're not talking about that are we? What is man's contribution to global warming as a percentage? You cannot say.
I have never argued climate is fragile. I do know that humans have not lived in a climate a lot warmer than what we have now. I also know that changes in the climate, especially quick changes like we are seeing now, will have a devastating effect on many plants and animals (we have seen this already, past changes in climate have led to large extinction events). Life on this planet will survive but a large extinction event is a high possibility. Do we really want to be the cause of this?
Yeah I know. Polar bears. Except they're actually going gangbusters.

Climatologists used to refer to warm intervals as "climate optima", although it's politically incorrect to do so these days. Warm periods facilitate explosions in biodiversity. During the Mesozoic when dinosaurs flourished, temperatures were at least 10 degrees warmer than today, and the level of CO2 was 9-10 times higher. (No I am not saying this is a desirable state of affairs.)

Life tends to enjoy the sun's crispy goodness.
Deniers do not trust observations. We see this every day from you as you undermine and cherry pick data.
I trust observations absolutely. But not after someone's tampered the *smile* out of them.

The 97% thing has been debunked countless times in this thread. But here it is again from yet another source. It demeans you to keep raising it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexep...e-scientists-agree-is-100-wrong/#577cef653f9f
https://www.friendsofscience.org/assets/documents/97_Consensus_Myth.pdf

Last edited:
What is the human contribution to climate change?

Bearing in mind that scientists are always careful, or more accurately conservative in the true sense of the word, in their assessments, this seems a good place to start, an abstract from an article published in December 2015 in Nature Climate Change:

Impacts of recent regional changes in climate on natural and human systems are documented across the globe, yet studies explicitly linking these observations to anthropogenic forcing of the climate are scarce. Here we provide a systematic assessment of the role of anthropogenic climate change for the range of impacts of regional climate trends reported in the IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report. We find that almost two-thirds of the impacts related to atmospheric and ocean temperature can be confidently attributed to anthropogenic forcing. In contrast, evidence connecting changes in precipitation and their respective impacts to human influence is still weak. Moreover, anthropogenic climate change has been a major influence for approximately three-quarters of the impacts observed on continental scales. Hence the effects of anthropogenic emissions can now be discerned not only globally, but also at more regional and local scales for a variety of natural and human systems.

Or, read this: https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/are-humans-major-cause-global-warming

In other words, go and read some real science and ignore the idiotic rantings of the denier sites.

DS

During the Mesozoic when dinosaurs flourished, temperatures were at least 10 degrees warmer than today, and the level of CO2 was 9-10 times higher. (No I am not saying this is a desirable state of affairs.)

Life tends to enjoy the sun's crispy goodness.

Well dinosaurs do so you'll be fine.

DS

What is the human contribution to climate change?

Bearing in mind that scientists are always careful, or more accurately conservative in the true sense of the word, in their assessments, this seems a good place to start, an abstract from an article published in December 2015 in Nature Climate Change:

Or, read this: https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/are-humans-major-cause-global-warming

And ignore the idiotic rantings of the denier sites.

So... about 65% ? This site says 100%

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-why-scientists-think-100-of-global-warming-is-due-to-humans

The IPCC still cites the range of warming as a result of doubling CO2 as between 1.5 and 4.5 degrees Celsius - the same range they proposed in 1988. They simply do not know. But that's good for business.

Here, have a listen to the track record of Tim The Clairvoyant. Take note of the dollar amounts - this is the cost of alarmism, coming from your pocket.

I'm concerned that some posters in this thread have dragged down the discussion.

Please refrain from abusive language and responding in an agreesive manner.

Thanks T.

Reactions: 4 users
Mmm, yeah, it’s not good. I’d apologise, but I have no regrets.

I’ve helped more people on this forum than I could poke a stick at (and been helped by plenty in return), but after 14 years it’s nearing an end. I shouldn’t have to put up with the *smile* that’s going on, and won’t.

Reactions: 2 users
funnily enough, while Flannery is a scientist, i dont believe he has any particular quals in climate science.

Hard to take his climate proclamations seriously, yet he has held serious advisory positions. I've hardly touched on Flannery and don't want to make it about politics again, but when you look at who employed him, funded him and sacked him, it's totally consistent. He's smart, he's passionate and it hasn't been enough for him to see the future. People like Flannery have a place, but it's not policy-making.

I'm concerned that some posters in this thread have dragged down the discussion.

Please refrain from abusive language and responding in an aggressive manner.

Thanks T.

I've only strayed away from the footy boards recently and I have to say i'm finding it a bit depressing reading this thread. I'm not a very prolific poster, but I have really enjoyed reading the posts about the tigers from a lot of you guys.

The opinions expressed here seem to be getting more and more extreme and I've being trying to identify some middle ground that is not contentious to either side. So here goes.

I don't think anybody could deny that humans are at least slowly destroying the environment that we live in. I could quote any number of statistics that are completely uncontroversial to support this statement. Personally, I lived for a number of year in Sumatra and the natural environment there has been all but wiped out in just 50 years.

My second point is, despite whether climate change is natural or man-made, happening slowly or quickly or catastrophic or mild, we as a global community are not well placed to deal with either its cause or effect on a global level. My own opinion is that the rich will get by whilst the poor bear the brunt of whatever happens in the near or distant future. Unfortunately, there is no existing 'world government' to take whatever action may be required. Each state will relentlessly pursue it's own interests. For me this is the ultimate problem. The present geo-political reality does note bode well for any unified human action.

Forget all the graphs and changes in average temperature by 0.1 degree. If you get off your arse and go for a look around the planet it will soon become pretty apparent that unless the human species starts to work together we are all either ****ed ourselves, or we will be leaving a situation that will mean our kids or grand kids will be ****ed at some future .

Reactions: 5 users
So... about 65% ? This site says 100%

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-why-scientists-think-100-of-global-warming-is-due-to-humans

The IPCC still cites the range of warming as a result of doubling CO2 as between 1.5 and 4.5 degrees Celsius - the same range they proposed in 1988. They simply do not know. But that's good for business.

The IPCC is giving a range, they are being honest about the uncertainties. If they gave a definitive number you would be after them if they were 0.00001 degree out, they give a range you claim they have no idea.

Meanwhile, the effects are getting more obvious by the day.

Higher temperatures and lower winter rainfall

Australian average temperatures have increased by about 1oC since 1950 (BOM and CSIRO 2018). Recent decades have also seen a trend towards lower average winter season rainfall in the southwest and southeast of Australia (Figure 5, BOM and CSIRO 2018). This drying trend is the largest sustained change in Australian rainfall since records began (BOM and CSIRO 2018) and it is linked with atmospheric changes associated with global warming (Cai and Cowan 2013, Cai, Cowan and Thatcher 2012, BOM and CSIRO 2018, CSIRO 2012).

drought-insight-fig-5-large.png

This is from a recent report on how farmers are suffering as a result of climate change, you can see it here: https://www.agriculture.gov.au/abar...t-and-climate-variability-on-Australian-farms

While the deniersphere keeps sowing doubt, attacking the science, questioning observations, people are suffering now.

This is climate change.

DS

I've only strayed away from the footy boards recently and I have to say i'm finding it a bit depressing reading this thread. I'm not a very prolific poster, but I have really enjoyed reading the posts about the tigers from a lot of you guys.

Once again I apologise to all and am happy for admin to delete the offending posts. At the same time, they were 100% sincere.

It's one thing to say a comment is racist, which can be debated; another entirely to label a person racist for which the only comeback is to attempt to prove they are not what has been alleged, which is impossible. Instead I've elected to own the slur and that is what you see beneath my avatar. It is grossly unfair, especially when you've never met the person and then proceed to get in their face on different threads. It just so happened that it boiled over on this thread.

Given the poster concerned is apparently a wealthy cattle farmer, I am happy as a gesture of goodwill to invite him to donate $100 to the AIEF and post the receipt here, and I'll respond in kind. There will no doubt be tumbleweeds.

Dedicated to me.