Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

We live in Australia, we are responsible for this country's actions. You can divert all you like but it is well past time we did something about our contribution to global warming, including our exports as we are one of the planet's largest fossil fuel exporters.

DS
That'd be fun, n while we're about it we could cancel all our global warming cattle, stop em farting n shut down all our ore mining as that also requires our fossil fuels to turn the ore into products. We'll be living in caves n starving to death long before anyone gets off their arse long enough to invade n take what we refuse to sell them.

7 billion people on the planet n all the *smile* n spruik fest won't stop all those disadvantaged countries from plowing ahead by any means they can to achieve improvements to their living standards. Whether anyone likes it or not, without the base load power capacity of fossil fuels or nuclear the western world is going backwards n paying overs for exotic clean energy n the developing world will just ignore us n continue pushing forward with whatever they can grab cheap while increasing their pollution levels.

All them Greenie Poms n Euro's all of a sudden got not enough power or fuel to operate properly so they've had to rush out n pay over premium for the Russkies gas n crank up their old coal power plants.

Reactions: 1 users
I havent read all the last pages of posts.
Can someone tell me is Lee (and others if applicable) currently denying the climate is changing, denying people are causing the change or denying that Australia should do anything about it? or a bit of all of the above?

I havent read all the last pages of posts.
Can someone tell me is Lee (and others if applicable) currently denying the climate is changing, denying people are causing the change or denying that Australia should do anything about it? or a bit of all of the above?
I'm saying whatever you want me to say. Go ahead and put your own spin on it, it's open slather here.

Yeh it’s amazing how people can point to China as a sort of eco warrior country. Because they say they are doing xyz about climate change.
China never tells fibs hey?

Yeah, either you deliberately misinterpret what I am saying, or you are just thick.

No-one is pointing to China being some sort of saint in relation to global warming. What I have repeatedly pointed out, is that China, even with their reliance on coal and their slow movement on doing anything about global warming, have better policies than Australia does. Think about that (if you are capable) - China are crap on global warming, but we're even worse.

Here's an example of how bad Australia is: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57925798

A couple of salient points from this article:

Only Indonesia sells more coal than Australia globally.
The government often credits coal for much of the country's wealth, but many analysts argue this is overblown.
Coal exports totalled A$55bn (£29bn; $40bn) last year, but most of this wealth was kept by mining companies. Less than a tenth went to Australia directly - that's about 1% of national revenue.

That's right folks, we're the second biggest coal exporter in the world. That this is monumentally stupid given coal is going to phase out and we'll be left with an economy reliant on exporting something no-one wants.

It gets even dumber (is that even possible, well, yes with f*ckwits running the show) when you consider:

Tax subsidies: About A$10bn went to fossil fuel companies last year alone

Do the sums, $AU55billion in coal exports, of which 10% (at best) stays in Australia, which equals $AU5.5billion revenue staying here. Meanwhile we spend $AU10billion subsidising the industry. We are paying to be stranded with an unviable export.

There is no other way to describe this except monumentally stupid.

But, let's not leave it there.

We might have an excuse if we had no alternatives. But, we are probably the best placed country in the world to generate energy from renewables. Vast tracts of land, massive amounts of sunshine, huge coastline which is windy (when the f*ckwits allow offshore wind . . . eventually). FFS there is an absolute gift staring us in the face and we ignore it.

Monumentally stupid.

DS

Honestly does anyone really believe in Scomo's net-zero carbon emissions plan? Does Scotty himself even believe in it?
Feel like last minute gaslighting to appease an increasingly restless voting public.

Scummo could tell me the Tigers wear black with a yellow sash and I'd double-check it.

Reactions: 4 users
Honestly does anyone really believe in Scomo's net-zero carbon emissions plan? Does Scotty himself even believe in it?
Feel like last minute gaslighting to appease an increasingly restless voting public.
He was able to make another announcement. He's very happy.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Just happy we now have such a great plan to make a plan about planning for the plan!

Rest easy everyone!

The typical LNP 3-word slogan "technology not taxes" really gives me the *smile*, especially when Angus Cayman Taylor today announced the government will be spending something like $20 billion on Carbon capture and storage, which is a dubious technology that the market won't touch, and is most definitely using tax payer money to do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Morrison should tell the first person to use the word "emergency" to address the Chinese problem or sit down and STFU. Even if it's Greta.
Probably not. He's postponing responsibility and hoping future governments can make the leap to e.g. hydrogen. Net zero in Australia is an aspirational goal at this stage.

Meanwhile he can put our natural resources to good use.

coal price.jpg

Clearly kicking the can down the road, tomorrow's governments can fix the mess. Not legislating the goal of net zero by 2050 either, maybe wanting to avoid members of his government crossing the floor.

No idea why we wuld want to sell more coal, f***s up the planet and all the profits sail overseas.

DS

Probably not. He's postponing responsibility and hoping future governments can make the leap to e.g. hydrogen. Net zero in Australia is an aspirational goal at this stage.

No he's not. He can't think of a time when he's not PM.

All he is doing is keeping the his biggest donors onside. It's got nothing to do with anything else. He needs their funds to have any chance of winning in May and he's certainly not going to do anything to put those funds in doubt.

He doesn't give a *smile* if the country goes up in flames while the Great Barrier Reef dies as long as he remains PM.

Victorians just contributed 250+ days of lockdown towards reducing emissions. You're not telling me it didn't make a rat's arse of difference?

If we could solve the worlds climate change problems by locking everyone down for 250+ days, then our Grand Children will get off lightly.

Last edited:
Regardless of their current "plan", anyone who gives a *smile* about the environment and votes for the Morrison/Joyce led LNP is dumb.
I could probably extend that to anyone who gives a *smile* in general, but as this is the Climate Change thread I will stick with the environment.