Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

Victorians just contributed 250+ days of lockdown towards reducing emissions. You're not telling me it didn't make a rat's arse of difference?

3 weeks:
"Effectively, COVID has bought us about three weeks in terms of when we'll hit 1.5C [warming]."
See: https://www.abc.net.au/news/science...ap-report-un-global-warming-targets/100567412

As for the government's announcement, it isn't a plan so I'm not going to call it one:

The government’s proposal includes a 15 per cent reduction due to “further technology breakthroughs”. That’s a magic box that may or may not be true.
Another 15 per cent is expected to materialise from global technology trends that may or may not come to pass (for instance, solar power at $15 per megawatt hour that almost certainly wipes out coal and gas-fired power).

That’s at least 30 per cent of planned emissions which, like a rabbit out of a magician’s hat, will materialise.
Climate change policy is not easy. The future is unclear.
Today, the government produced a report with 129 pages, paid for by taxpayers, of which 10 per cent were blank.

See: https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...ted-plan-to-net-zero-yet-20211026-p5939j.html

They are relying on "further technology breakthroughs", and . . . , some more technology in the form of "global technology trends". Yeah, relying on others to act. Talk about a pack of leaners not lifters.

There are no new initiatives in the announcement and the Federal government's claim that we will exceed the pathetic target we set for 2030 is only likely to happen because of the actions of State Governments and people putting solar panels on their roofs - none of the reductions to 2030 will be because of actions of this government and they are planning nothing new.

The commitment to net-zero by 2050 is an empty promise and they know they will be long gone before we know if we can get anywhere net-zero by 2050.

This government is clearly not serious about acting on climate change.

We know this because Morrison loves his coal.

Morrison Coal.jpg

DS

Another left-wing whinger blog in a crowded field. In this case stating the bleeding obvious: Morrison's "plan" is a book with no pages, a tool for putting Glasgow behind us.

Instructs its readers "Don't read the Herald Sun"... translation "We'll create our own little safe space right here".

Another left-wing whinger blog in a crowded field. In this case stating the bleeding obvious: Morrison's "plan" is a book with no pages, a tool for putting Glasgow behind us.

Instructs its readers "Don't read the Herald Sun"... translation "We'll create our own little safe space right here".
I do wonder if he ever writes negative articles about the left? He of course does have a lot of ammo with scomo in charge and Gladys recent fall from grace.
Eg Did he write anything of interest on the vic hotel quarantine inquiry?

Last edited:
Sleepy Joe living up to his nickname. Clearly enthralled.

77d52afa867dd83368435064ae13c7b3

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Seen some media spiel while channel surfing this morning. Old Chucky wanna b king having an important greenie meeting with that septic Bizzo bloke who'd just flown over on his private jet. Just setting the standards of hypocrisy for the whole damn circus.

I haven’t contributed to this thread because I don’t feel qualified to do so. I am not a scientist nor anything close to one.
However to me there is now one undeniable truth and that is that to a very large extent it doesn’t matter what I believe or what Australia politicians believe to be the truth because the world is moving on without us. Whether it is 2050 or some other date the fossil fuel world will decline inevitably. We may not bring in a carbon price but Europe and elsewhere will put tariffs on our exports if we don’t tow the line. The EU carbon border tax is already being put in place. All that will happen is Australian exports will be taxed and we won’t get the revenue. Wouldn’t it be better to introduce our own carbon tax and reinvest it to reduce the emissions of our exporters ?
The time for Australia to look to be a major player in this new world is not now, it was years ago, but what has happened is over now. We have a chance to be a major player in this future if only we have leaders with vision rather than fighting it.
We have the resources and the ability to do it.

Reactions: 2 users
The time for Australia to look to be a major player in this new world is not now, it was years ago, but what has happened is over now. We have a chance to be a major player in this future if only we have leaders with vision rather than fighting it.
We have the resources and the ability to do it.

Yeah, we should have been world leaders in solar, wind, wave, hydro etc. We have the elements and the space to have turned Australia into the #1 renewable energy centre of the world, attracting the worlds brightest minds in these fields to Australia. Massive missed opportunity simply because both sides of politics are funded by the oil & coal industry.

Australia did build the worlds first solar car, the Quiet Achiever (ironically sponsored by BP). The World Solar Challenge is, or was, the premier solar race in the world. Why the *smile* we didn't make an industry out of that is beyond me.

Reactions: 3 users