Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Jimbob, my missus is dutch (moved here 10 years or so ago) and so is half my family. I can tell you that the fact that if the Greenland icecaps melt Holland will be 95% submerged is pretty forward in their minds.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Disco08 said:
I can tell you that the fact that if the Greenland icecaps melt Holland will be 95% submerged is pretty forward in their minds.

They are going to need a lot more windmills. :help

BTW your Misses comes from a great country. Absolutely love the Netherlands. 8)

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
I urge everyone to get their hands on or read as much about "THE GREAT GLOBAL WARMING SWINDLE", if you haven't already. It debunks (successfully in my opinion) a lot of the pro global warming theorists. It was aired on Channel 4 over here in the UK a couple of months back.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
The're showing it Australia soon,ABC I think, freezer.Alot of it was debunked.

it's on youtube,if anyones interested.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
It's been pretty widely criticized in the scientific community.

Eight of the scientists in the film - John Christy, Paul Reiter, Richard Lindzen, Paul Driessen, Roy Spencer, Patrick Michaels, Fred Singer and Tim Ball - are linked to American neo-conservative and right-wing think-tanks, many of which have received tens of millions of dollars from Exxon

http://www.medialens.org/alerts/07/0313pure_propaganda_the.php

All they're missing is Dr Hovind.

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
Disco08 said:
It's been pretty widely criticized in the scientific community.

Eight of the scientists in the film - John Christy, Paul Reiter, Richard Lindzen, Paul Driessen, Roy Spencer, Patrick Michaels, Fred Singer and Tim Ball - are linked to American neo-conservative and right-wing think-tanks, many of which have received tens of millions of dollars from Exxon

http://www.medialens.org/alerts/07/0313pure_propaganda_the.php

All they're missing is Dr Hovind.

Who the hell is a lay person like myself supposed to believe...? If the so called 'scientists' can't agree, there's no chance I ever will. Don't know why but I still err on the sceptics side. I'm sure facts and figures can be manipulated to suit either argument (as with the graph in the above article.)

:don't know

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Let's see. Who has more to gain from spreading disingenuous propaganda? The oil companies and their billion dollar profits or the scientists reaching for federal research grants? What do the majority of the world's leading climate experts have to gain from deliberately leading the rest of the world to believe in a fake global warming theory?

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
The science in it is not very good and as duckman says it involved vested interests.

But it's still worth watching on a socialogical level.It makes some interesting points on the 'hysteria' that has evolved,the hows and whys.Thge politics of 'green' if you like.

Just be careful accepting everything they say on science level.Most of it is not 'peer review'.

Jools

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2004
Hoppers Crossing
I don't know who the lay person is supposed to believe either. There seems to be a lot of hysteria and doom and gloom over the whole issue - almost like the Apocolypse. ;)

My suburb isn't that far above sea level, maybe I'll end up with a place near the sea if not under it.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
evo said:
The science in it is not very good and as duckman says it involved vested interests.

But it's still worth watching on a socialogical level.It makes some interesting points on the 'hysteria' that has evolved,the hows and whys.Thge politics of 'green' if you like.

Just be careful accepting everything they say on science level.Most of it is not 'peer review'.

There are vested interests on both sides. Finanicial on the pro-pollute side and idealogical on the other. We lay people need to filter both, because both are serving up a lot of dodgy info at the moment.

Like the numerous claims of flood waters going up 20m in Sydney and so on. Extremist scale stuff that is too easily debunked and damages the reputation of those looking into a legitimate issue.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Look at it another way. If the scientists are right about global warming and it's causes but not enough is done to reverse the trends because of oil company propaganda, the cost is likely to be catastrophic. Hundreds of millions of people could be turned into refugees. Beyond that no one can really predict just how devastating the effects might be.

On the other hand, if the reverse is true and there is not a real threat but the world changes it's ways because they were deceived by the scientists, the cost is lower pollution, cleaner environments and hundreds of thousands of saved species.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
evo said:

There are vested interests on both sides. Finanicial on the pro-pollute side and idealogical on the other. We lay people need to filter both, because both are serving up a lot of dodgy info at the moment.

Like the numerous claims of flood waters going up 20m in Sydney and so on. Extremist scale stuff that is too easily debunked and damages the reputation of those looking into a legitimate issue.

Agree Tiger74,

While I think the majority of people agree that temperatures are slightly rising, the scale of this slight temperature rise is being blow out of all proportions.
Ice caps melting within 20 years, and they said that 30 years ago....and is LA or New York under water?
No.
The "Ozone shrinking" and the "Greenhouse Effect" were the trendy words back in the 80s and 90s....everyone running around that we're all going to burn and Australia will be uninhabitable, etc....scaremongering propaganda at its best ::)
All parties having agendas to placate egos and to cushion wallets, whether it be oil-companies or big businesses like GreenPeace Inc.

We have seen, or more accurately, we have scientific proof, that during the history of this planet, we have NATURALLY changed over time.
There was an Ice Age, yet what man-made gases and emisssions caused the planet to heat up to such an extent, that all this ice eventually melted?
None.
It happened NATURALLY, and for all we know now, we are at the very start of a NATURAL era, where the planet will heat up over millions of years, until it becomes unbearable for the human race that we know today to live, but over time, the human race will evolve, just like creatures from the Stone Age, Ice Age, right through to today have survived many extremes.
What we could be experiencing is just the start of a "Heat Age", where all the fighting and bickering over climate change, greenhouse gases, Kyoto agreements, etc aren't worth a pinch of salt against Mother Nature and what she has in store for us over the next few million years.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Tiger74 said:

I definately agree with that T74.

Even Gores film is very much a vested interest one.Suprise,suprise he's thinking of running in the 2008 election.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Disco08 said:
Look at it another way. If the scientists are right about global warming and it's causes but not enough is done to reverse the trends because of oil company propaganda, the cost is likely to be catastrophic. Hundreds of millions of people could be turned into refugees. Beyond that no one can really predict just how devastating the effects might be.

On the other hand, if the reverse is true and there is not a real threat but the world changes it's ways because they were deceived by the scientists, the cost is lower pollution, cleaner environments and hundreds of thousands of saved species.
I agree duckman.We are better to err on the side of doing something.If nothing else it cleans up the planet and we can breath more easily.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Disco08 said:
Jimbob, my missus is dutch (moved here 10 years or so ago) and so is half my family. I can tell you that the fact that if the Greenland icecaps melt Holland will be 95% submerged is pretty forward in their minds.

Sorry, I simply don't believe that.

RemoteTiger

Woof!
Jul 29, 2004
jb03 said:
Disco08 said:

What that his wife is Dutch?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
RemoteTiger said:
jb03 said:
Disco08 said:

What that his wife is Dutch?

Yep ;D