Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Tell you what, I dunno much about climate change, but one thing I do know is that I am sick to the back teeth of all this **** rain in Melbourne. Hasn’t stopped for 5 months. Doing my head in. Will rain flat out again later today and then continue the entire weekend ….again.

For the experts, what the hell is causing this ongoing drenching ? And what’s this I hear about Spring and Summer being a continuation of all this rain ? Will it bring **** hailstones with it over the warmer months ? Great.

Really starting to do some damage. Parks, gardens, roads, footy fields, golf courses, housing damage etc.

I need answers from all you Jane Bun’s dammit !!
Yeah as David SSS said it's La Nina still renting in Australia. She won't go. Have to admit this winter has been the coldest and darkest since maybe 2008. London weather. Barely saw the sun.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah as David SSS said it's La Nina still renting in Australia. She won't go. Have to admit this winter has been the coldest and darkest since maybe 2008. London weather. Barely saw the sun.
Worst Winter I’ve experienced in Melbourne. Terrible.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The higher rainfall is La Nina, although you likely know this already.

Of course, it is often a matter of perception too. With climate change we have got used to higher temperatures and rainfall has been lower than average for a lot of years so we don't expect so much rain.

In Melbourne we've seen:
January well above average.
February virtually no rain, way below average.
March well above average
April double the usual average
May just below the average
June well above average
July just above the average
August well above average
September we are only about a quarter of the way through but so far looking drier than usual.

2022 looks like it will be an above average year for rainfall.

Temperature is not dissimilar, only Feb and April have been below the long term average for max temp, the rest of the months have been above average, in a La Nina year. Minimum temperatures have been above average for every month of 2022. The temperature data is also based on a long term average, much of which comes from the old weather station in the city. Since the urban heat island effect is well known, the weather station was relocated to Olympic Park a few years ago and we would expect that the temperature observations at Olympic Park would be slightly lower than for the old station in the city, so higher temperatures recorded now for Melbourne are a real indication that the impact of global warming in Melbourne has been to raise temperatures.

DS
Thought I read somewhere , July or June or some month, was the coldest month on record since about 1945 ???

Anyway, I’m blaming Lavinia Nixon.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Putting your laundry issue aside, which is a problem all of it's own, its a fact.
The doomsdayers rely on a whole lot of feedback mechanisms to predict all of their disasters that never happen. Yet they say that the difference in solar feedback during high activity isn't enough to make a difference ie they don't talk about feedback mechanisms in this case, only the Co2 case which as pointed out in the previos post, is so rediculously negligable that it's a joke.

You also have to bear in mind that man's contribution to Co2 is absolutely sweet FA on thescheme of things, it's just that somehow our Co2 makes all the difference.

Did you know that termites alone contribute more Co2 to the atmosphere than every other creature on the planet combined, including man.
Hell, your tag "AngrAny" even promotes these climate wreckers. If you wantto do something about the climate, maybe you should head up into the NT and kick kick over all he termite mounds. You could leave at least one standing to drape your wet undies over to dry if you like, but it might doom the planet.

Here we go again. After the invermectin rush now we have termite from Twitter and Facebook claims.

It’s just a ludicrous proposition. If termites were doing this then co2 levels would have been rising since termites were a thing which I assume is a long long time. They are part of a cycle where they eat plants that have sequestered co2 then put it back out. I.e. net zero. Fossil fuels don’t have enough dinosaurs eating plants and decaying to fossils at the rate humans put it into the atmosphere. It’s basically a one way process.

Classic Twitter and Facebook bait where you present half of the information to make a point for the “researchers” out there. Invermectin did this by showing lower death rates where it was used but failing to mention that was because people stopped getting the worm infection they had previously.

I was in the oil industry. The whole premise of biofuels is the same. You grow plants that sequester co2 then you burn the oil that comes from them. Not quite net zero but can be 5-20% of the current emissions and actually zero if you use renewable energy to handle processing and transportation.

Even with that apparently the out part of the termites is one tenth of the human out. https://factcheck.afp.com/its-other...ly-one-tenth-carbon-dioxide-emissions-created Irrelevant though as you need to know where the co2 is coming from. Once the termites eat out an area they would die as they would have nothing to eat so it has to balance out over time.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Classic left response mate ridicule rather than present facts to back up your argument

Science is neither Left nor Right TGM - it's a way of understanding the universe through creating models and hypotheses based on empirical observations - these must be falsifiable - so we can know that they are wrong if new empirical/experimental/observational data shows that. These models persist until they are falsified and replaced with models that better fit the observed empirical evidence.

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Worst Winter I’ve experienced in Melbourne. Terrible.

You clearly haven't lived here all that long, I remember winters being a fair bit colder when I was a kid, and the observations bear that out.

This winter got close to what was normal back in the 70s and 80s, but still was not as cold.

DS

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
You clearly haven't lived here all that long, I remember winters being a fair bit colder when I was a kid, and the observations bear that out.

This winter got close to what was normal back in the 70s and 80s, but still was not as cold.

DS
Well I’ve lived here for 25 years plus. If that’s “not all that long” then fair enough. But anyway, you sound very old so I’ll bow in deference to your Melbourne weather experience.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Well I’ve lived here for 25 years plus. If that’s “not all that long” then fair enough. But anyway, you sound very old so I’ll bow in deference to your Melbourne weather experience.

Haha, although I have lived here for 48 years so I suppose a bit longer.

It really is actually noticeably warmer in Melbourne now than it used to be. Gradual change is noticeable after a few decades.

DS

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

It really is actually noticeably warmer in Melbourne now than it used to be. Gradual change is noticeable after a few decades.

DS
Yeah, the summers weren't as hot pre-1983 or so. Ozone layer etc... Maybe been a teenager compared to a 50 year old hack changes your body.....who knows. There was no global warming at Waverley though.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

DS
Geez you’re almost as old as Ridley (he’s real old).

I could believe that it’s still warmer than say in the early 70’s or whatever. My point was that it’s been a bloody ordinary Winter in general terms compared to more recent ones.

Otherwise yes, whilst being no climate expert, the country seems to be getting warmer, more humid and more prone to radical shifts in rainfall. I remember as a kid spending Summer on Summer in Sydney. It was for the most part sunny, dry and very enjoyable (I like warm/dry weather…spend a lot of time in the AZ, Nevada and Cali deserts). But now, Sydney is a shocking place to be in Summer. Humid, overcast, heavy and frequent rain periods. Significantly different now. Feels like Hong Kong now and not the Sydney I used to know.

Still blaming Lavinia Nixon.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Putting your laundry issue aside, which is a problem all of it's own, its a fact.

OK, if we must, then we must.

CO2 on the other hand has contributed 2 watts per sq metre in total, not continuously, but in the history of the earth.

Source us the "fact" that in entire history of the planet a metre squared of CO2 "contributed" a total of 2 watts of energy. I'm guessing they mean per square metre of the earth's surface area - the amount of energy retained and released by CO2 - following the second law of thermodynamics after absorbing infrared radiation reflected from the earth's surface, which as you noted, was warmed by energy from the sun.

What's confusing me is the claim that the total amount of heat energy (2 watts) radiated as per the 2nd law by CO2 OVER THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE PLANET - not continuously - is 2 watts. First, how would you measure this over 4 billion years - probably less given we didn't have atmosphere for part of this 4 billion year period? Second, the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere has varied over time, as climate change deniers often point out - so again, how could this total amount of energy be measured or even estimated? I guess you could somehow do it with a model if you had enough data, but we know climate deniers don't like models.

Lastly, the energy total for CO2 seems a bit low - we know the sun provides around one kW/h per hour for every square metre of Earth during sunlight hours. Do you mean 2 W/h per hour maybe? The NASA figure I found in terms of heat energy imbalance (yes we know you dudes don't trust NASA) was 0.85 W/h per hour which doesn't sound much, but of course has a great cumulative effect over years.

Maybe just give us the source of this malarky so we can have a look for ourselves.

Last edited:

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

I could believe that it’s still warmer than say in the early 70’s or whatever. My point was that it’s been a bloody ordinary Winter in general terms compared to more recent ones.

Otherwise yes, whilst being no climate expert, the country seems to be getting warmer, more humid and more prone to radical shifts in rainfall. I remember as a kid spending Summer on Summer in Sydney. It was for the most part sunny, dry and very enjoyable (I like warm/dry weather…spend a lot of time in the AZ, Nevada and Cali deserts). But now, Sydney is a shocking place to be in Summer. Humid, overcast, heavy and frequent rain periods. Significantly different now. Feels like Hong Kong now and not the Sydney I used to know.

You need to focus on Jane Bunn more.

TGM

Tiger Rookie
Apr 6, 2009
It looks like you work for a natural products company. How can a small percentage of heavy metals (Hg, Pb etc) or other toxins in your blood have such an effect on your health?

It’s not always size that matters and more what the system does with it.

The logic line you are running is meaningless. Sometimes very small things can have very big effects and sometimes they

.04% co2 effecting climate is like saying 3 cells in your body infected with the flu is going to kill you.

TGM

Tiger Rookie
Apr 6, 2009
Science is neither Left nor Right TGM - it's a way of understanding the universe through creating models and hypotheses based on empirical observations - these must be falsifiable - so we can know that they are wrong if new empirical/experimental/observational data shows that. These models persist until they are falsified and replaced with models that better fit the observed empirical evidence.
Models aren't science. Models are mathematics. Like all models the data you put in effects the data that comes out. Can you explain why every model except maybe the Russian one have been hopelessly wrong. Go back and watch the Al Gore movie, none of the explosive claims have come true.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Models aren't science. Models are mathematics. Like all models the data you put in effects the data that comes out. Can you explain why every model except maybe the Russian one have been hopelessly wrong. Go back and watch the Al Gore movie, none of the explosive claims have come true.

The theory of special relativity is a model. The theory of general relativity is a model.

All of science is theory/models that best explain empirical observations or experimental results. All models/theories can be superceded or updated as new ways of gathering data become available.

Maybe go away and read some more around the philosophy of science.

TGM

Tiger Rookie
Apr 6, 2009
The theory of special relativity is a model. The theory of general relativity is a model.

All of science is theory/models that best explain empirical observations or experimental results. All models/theories can be superceded or updated as new ways of gathering data become available.

Maybe go away and read some more around the philosophy of science.
Last time I looked the theory of relativity or any other REAL scientific theory has had a massive amount of debate to prove them correct.
"Climate Science" is not allowed to be debated and the people who believe it don't want to hear any alternative views...
I understand science just fine thanks. 1000's of scientists much much smarter than you and me think there is no climate crisis.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Oh, FFS stop parading your ignorance, as I pointed out earlier, a concentration of 0.00015% cyanide per Kg of a human body is enough to kill said human. This argument about the low concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere is not only complete crap, it is also completely illogical as the lower the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere the less we have to pump into the atmosphere to make a difference. Unfortunately the logic of this eludes you.

I'm no that old, but I have lived in Melbourne since a young age.

You're right about the shifts in rainfall. El Nino contributed to the Millennium Drought and we were clamouring for water. Dams low, desal plant built in Victoria etc. Now we have a few years of La Nina and what used to be one in a hundred year floods have now happened a few times over a couple of years. Not only is it warmer, but more extremes. We had a winter which was around or just above average and the Northern Hemisphere were smashing temperature records.

It's a mess and we need to stop contributing to it.

DS

Reactions: 1 user