Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

Or is it that we just see them on tele now

Would we have known 30 years ago that hawaii was burning for example

You realise we do have measurements from over a hundred years and further in some instances. So we do have data backing it up.

Reactions: 1 users
You realise we do have measurements from over a hundred years and further in some instances. So we do have data backing it up.

Dont get me wrong not saying they didnt happen I just dont think we were as aware of them happening overseas

Having lived in the U.K. for 28 years now, and having been to Spain/Portugal/Greece/Turkey for most summer holidays in that time, I can honestly say that the last month I’ve spent in Majorca and Rhodes has been no different to any other year.

And the U.K. has been as *smile* as ever.

Having lived in the U.K. for 28 years now, and having been to Spain/Portugal/Greece/Turkey for most summer holidays in that time, I can honestly say that the last month I’ve spent in Majorca and Rhodes has been no different to any other year.

And the U.K. has been as *smile* as ever.
Including long heatwaves?

We have the evidence, it is getting warmer.

No idea why some seem to want to play down what the evidence so clearly shows.

DS

A hundred years is a drop in the ocean.
I’d like to know what the weather was like over the last 2000 years. Can they calculate weather patterns back then from ice samples or growth rings in trees or something?

I just looked it up, a type of thermometer was invented in 1654, but wasn’t very accurate. Daniel Fahrenheit invented the more modern thermometer in 1709. Did anyone keep records back then?

We have the evidence, it is getting warmer.

No idea why some seem to want to play down what the evidence so clearly shows.

DS
It certainly has. A global rise of 1.1 degrees Celsius since 1880.
It doesn’t sound much but according to NASA a drop of around 1 degree was enough to trigger the Little Ice Age.
Some interesting reading

Or is it that we just see them on tele now

Would we have known 30 years ago that hawaii was burning for example
Hawaii has always had scrub fires on its dry leeward sides. And did have one really large spike of fire activity in 1969, which was a freakish one off spike in the graph of hectares burned for the season.

But fire activity has increased markedly from about the early 1990s onwards, with spikes of fire activity similar to 1969 seemingly now occurring every 2-3 years.

The leeward sides of their islands have always been prone to drought. But droughts are getting far longer and more intense.

It’s exacerbated by introduced drought tolerant African grasses, which really are obnoxious weeds. These grasses are ridiculously hardy, which probably isn’t entirely a bad thing to keep the slopes from going baron in the increasing drought prone climate, and thus guarding against erosion from storms. But largely these grasses are a major pest.

In relation to fires. They grow ridiculously fast with the slightest sprinkle of rain. Thicken up, then have the ability to dry out and sit dormant during a drought - just thick, dry and hay like. Then a fire comes and it burns like hell. There isn’t much forest in the fire prone areas of Hawaii, pretty much just these rapid moving grass fires. Apparently they then recover so quickly after a fire, ready to do it all again in a year or a couple of years.

These photos are from Anthony Quinn Bay, on the east coast of Rhodes. Interesting to see the ancient sea level marks on the rocks.IMG_6442.jpegIMG_6438.jpeg

I guess the Floridians will adapt to living in a permanent flood.

The USA looks more and more like a declining empire by the day. The irony of the Florida Education Dept approving lies about climate change while banning all sorts of books just adds to the impression of a country going off the rails.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
What you can put your money on is that it will take longer and cost more.

I do wonder if a decentralised system relying on ev batteries and local community storage is way less capital and cost intensive than planning on moving most of the power to the demand.

Wonder if that analysis has been done by the government.

I’m sure industry would be up in arms

https://xenetwork.org/ets/episodes/episode-205-rebuilding-the-grid-from-the-bottom-up/

Last edited:
What you can put your money on is that it will take longer and cost more.

I do wonder if a decentralised system relying on ev batteries and local community storage is way less capital and cost intensive than planning on moving most of the power to the demand.

Wonder if that analysis has been done by the government.

I’m sure industry would be up in arms

https://xenetwork.org/ets/episodes/episode-205-rebuilding-the-grid-from-the-bottom-up/

Yeah I've proposed something similar in the past.

We have seen a massive push towards rooftop solar in Australia (for obvious reasons) yet we haven't bothered with changing the network at all. We are already seeing new systems being installed in QLD that can be turned off from feeding excess energy back into the grid, which when these systems have been subisidised it makes no sense from an individuals basis (reduces their returns) or from a National level (providing subsidies for nothing).

I'm no engineer, but to me community batteries make so much sense, whereby the grid is run based on a localised grid model with national grid backup. As a guide I have a fairly small solar system (probably mid size actually) of about 5.5kw. I generally use around 12kwh per day, and in winter I might only be producing 6-7kwh per day, in summer anywhere upto around 30kwhs. It seems logical that community batteries could be used to absorb the excess energy fed back into the grid and then released back to that same local area. I would hazard a guess that anywhere between 30-50% of homes would provide enough energy for the housing network in that localised area (though that will differ based upon the season).

We seem to still be trying to fit everything into the "old" grid system of a big power plant and one way energy distribution from there, but the whole point of rooftop solar is that you have 2 way distribution which spreads the cost of producing energy to the masses instead of spending big at government level whether that was through build costs or subsidies which has been the way for many years now.

Reactions: 3 users
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Hot August nights. The records keep being broken..

We've got a week of nice weather - the traditional Indian summer. Some would say it's just the summer we missed out on.

The UN can spill out whatever they want but this summer has been no different to any others of the last 28 years. The sky definitely isn't falling.

We've got a week of nice weather - the traditional Indian summer. Some would say it's just the summer we missed out on.

The UN can spill out whatever they want but this summer has been no different to any others of the last 28 years. The sky definitely isn't falling.

Clearly the record highest ever days Earth has had recently disagree with you, completely.

Reactions: 3 users