Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

Have to say I didn't mind it last night.

Dunno about the dude from Ted Lasso commentating but there was certainly a lot more golf in the broadcast than the PGA stuff.

Shotgun start and leaderboard took a bit of getting used to but were fine.

If you get DeChambeau, Reed, Fowler, Wolff, Bubba and a couple more and increase the depth of the field I reckon it will really take off.

Reactions: 1 user
Have to say I didn't mind it last night.

Dunno about the dude from Ted Lasso commentating but there was certainly a lot more golf in the broadcast than the PGA stuff.

Shotgun start and leaderboard took a bit of getting used to but were fine.

If you get DeChambeau, Reed, Fowler, Wolff, Bubba and a couple more and increase the depth of the field I reckon it will really take off.
Where can you watch it?

Greg Norman has got all the credentials to go into politics.

"Journalist claims he was ‘physically removed’ from presser as Norman watched"

"Shipnuck uploaded footage of security guards refusing to allow him access to Mickelson’s press conference and subsequently posted a screenshot on Twitter of what he claimed was a text exchange with Norman. The screenshot appears to show Norman responding that he didn’t hear about Shipnuck being denied entry, but footage later emerged of the Australian standing behind him as it unfolded. The exchange went viral and made headlines around the world."

Shipnuck strikes as a self promoting wanker.

Johnson has applied to join the European League (or whatever it is called not).

Huge opportunity for the DP tour here. They are already comfortable with the Saudi money so you'd think it will be a no-brainer to work with LIV.

Get the LIV guys on the roster for the big DP events and put the 8 or so LIV tournaments into the schedule through the US.

Would be a genuine world tour and almost certainly end the PGA.

Huge opportunity for the DP tour here. They are already comfortable with the Saudi money so you'd think it will be a no-brainer to work with LIV.

Get the LIV guys on the roster for the big DP events and put the 8 or so LIV tournaments into the schedule through the US.

Would be a genuine world tour and almost certainly end the PGA.
I still don't get what the beef is with the PGA. I can understand the washed up Europeans wanting to play for a heap of dough like Poulter, McDowell, Westwood, Garcia etc but PGA is pretty flush with cash already.

I still don't get what the beef is with the PGA. I can understand the washed up Europeans wanting to play for a heap of dough like Poulter, McDowell, Westwood, Garcia etc but PGA is pretty flush with cash already.

I think it is largely money, and a little bit of control. Like this week the Canadian Open is being played for a purse of about 9 million, the LIV purse is 25.

There's also beefs around media rights, restrictions on other places you can play and issues with the schedule but mostly money.

Reactions: 1 users
The players are independent contractors but the PGA Tour treats them like controlled employees. They have next to no personal brand and media rights eg they can’t use images of themselves or refer to any PGA Tour sanctioned event (including majors) for any personal gain without express permission from the PGA Tour and of course, a payment to them.

That limits significantly their off course earning ability.

Last edited:
The players are independent contractors but the PGA Tour treats them like controlled employees. They have next to no personal brand and media rights eg they can’t use images of themselves or refer to any PGA Tour sanctioned event (including majors) for any personal gain without express permission from the PGA Tour and course, a payment to them.

That limits significantly their off course earning ability.
Is all that essentially conditions for joining the PGA (which you need to do to play the events)?

Is all that essentially conditions for joining the PGA (which you need to do to play the events)?
Yes. They also force them to play certain events (sort of understandable) and a certain number of them too. And lots of other terms and conditions.

The Tour whilst successful, popular, is quite clandestine under the bonnet. AFL similarities in many respects.

As Red says, the PGA players have long felt exploited, in that they have little control over their imagery, whereas the PGA can do with it as they want.

Very interesting times ahead, if nothing else LIV will force the PGA into re-thinking their methods on several fronts.

The PGA Tour isn’t all bad. I quite like it on the whole. They’ve made a litany of golfers very wealthy, contributed enormous amounts back to the community, established some really great and famous events, set up player welfare and pension programs and what not, created the LPGA and Senior Tours and on and on.

My issue with them is Jay Monahan and his dishonesty, their American myopia and the way they try to control the golfers so much.

LIV for all intents and purposes is just a cash grab. As Chamblee said, they really don’t care about the players. They’ll have their contracts terminated the moment they think they’ve got no value to them.

Donny is right. Hopefully it’s a wake up call to Monahan and the Tour that they’ve been asleep at the wheel and need to make some changes. Should have pursued their own version of a World Tour decades ago. BIG mistake.

Reactions: 2 users
Donny is right. Hopefully it’s a wake up call to Monahan and the Tour that they’ve been asleep at the wheel and need to make some changes. Should have pursued their own version of a World Tour decades ago. BIG mistake.

Need to pull their socks up on coverage as well. Turned on the replay of the Canadian Open today and the amount of golf they show compared to Liv is tiny.

Too many packages and too much focus on the commentators, no-one wants to see 5 minutes about the RBC sponsoring the event.

Need to pull their socks up on coverage as well. Turned on the replay of the Canadian Open today and the amount of golf they show compared to Liv is tiny.

Too many packages and too much focus on the commentators, no-one wants to see 5 minutes about the RBC sponsoring the event.
Yeah I know.

I can handle the sponsors thing though. They throw in BIG money. I just fast forward through it.

It’s annoying though how they go to US popular players - even when they’re playing *smile* - and someone else eg a non American is storming home and you miss their action. They do it time and time again. When Phil and Tiger were playing it was unbearable. They’d cross to a shot of theirs when they were out of contention ALL the time.

IBF and a few commentators need to go as well. Too vanilla. Too afraid to offend. Boring.

Roving Ground level cameras ? Any thought to those so viewers can see the slope of greens and fairways ?

The coverage as a whole needs a big shake up.

Take Tiger as an example. Now I love that he is back and competing again, and I want to see his shots, but I don’t need to see him walking100 yards down the fairway while the commentators spit out dribble trying to make that viewing entertaining. It’s not.

Show us some golf shots, that’s why we are watching. Any player at +12 and no chance of making the cut is preferable to watching a player walking the fairways chewing on a banana.

Take Tiger as an example. Now I love that he is back and competing again, and I want to see his shots, but I don’t need to see him walking100 yards down the fairway while the commentators spit out dribble trying to make that viewing entertaining. It’s not.

Show us some golf shots, that’s why we are watching. Any player at +12 and no chance of making the cut is preferable to watching a player walking the fairways chewing on a banana.

And that's exactly what LIV have understood and done really well I reckon. The shotgun start helps but they just pepper shots non stop, and when they go to a package it is 6 great shots they missed.

Another thing they do in America is try and make on a shot is much harder than it really is. In the womens US Open Minjee pulled a ball left and had a second shot that she had to play whilst her front foot was on a very small tuft of native grass. It was about half an inch high. But the commentator babbled on about how hard it was … she could slip… blah blah blah. Her shot was completely unobstructed. Absolute bs.

I don't care how well the broadcaster is covering LIV, until they get some decent golfers I won't be watching it.