Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Interesting finish in Hawaii. Morikawa has blown a 7 shot lead to be equal 1st with Rahm with 4 to play.
Bit of a meltdown. He's done it in a major before. Looked in complete control most of the time.

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Bit of a meltdown. He's done it in a major before. Looked in complete control most of the time.
Big meltdown. Great round by rahm. Started with a bogie to be 9 strokes back. Ends up winning by 2.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
He’s a strange work Morikawa. He’s had a couple of melts but also 2 of the gutsiest wins in majors as well. He’s also been good under the heat of the Ryder and Presidents Cups.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Drove 90 mins to Bairnsdale today and shot 137 over 18 with a mate.

Probably haven’t improved one iota in my first 12 months of playing golf but gee it’s fun when you flush one.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Played Moonah last Friday and The Old Course yesterday.

Conditions were not that windy but geez I struggled. If you don't hit it pretty straight off the tee you are in big trouble.

Greens were slow on both occassions, was difficult to get the ball to the hole. Assume they cut them Sat morning.

Some guy had 47 points off 17 yesterday on the Old. Pretty good going.

Discovered the ice cold face towels at front of clubhouse after the round, they are a nice little benefit of playing there. It's a pretty stunning setup.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Wtf ? Is the PGA Tour turning into a weekly walking billboard exercise for the players now is it ?

What a *smile* look for the game.

1674253606536.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Geez Min Woo Lee stuffed up the HSBC Championship. Bogies the par 3 17th to miss a play off with Victor Perez.
Firstly I'm going the early crow with claiming I first posted here about how promising MWL looked from very early on (can go back and find the post when I get time) - I think he's possibly on the way to becoming our only other serious contender at the highest level (along with Cam) over the next 10 years or so.#

However, that's far too harsh , Red. I watched the whole round from beginning to end and loved his performance . Sure, he started a little nervously and even I was thinking, here we go again, same old scratchy MWL that will keep giving back more shots to his opponents than he's gained from poorly judged shots/clubs again. However, that's quite forgiveable for a 24 y.o. paired with Lowry and F. Molinari, who btw, before long could not go with him as he both out-drove and putted them to the point of demoralisation. In fact, Lowry, despite heavy touting by the Eurocentric/UKbiased commentators, was a jibbering wreck by the end - go see what he did on the 600m+ 18th which MWL was the only late contender to virtually make in 2 and birdie with a brilliant chip that actually had 2 goes at the hole for an eagle that would have put him in a play-off with Perez who made his own mess on 18 for a bogey.

Yes, 2 disappointing late shots but holes 14-18 were played into a very strong headwind as commentators like Radar O'Reilly kept emphasising. Not sure what happened on 17 because he actually went down to a 4-iron instead of preferred 5. Perhaps hit fat or the wind was just so strong. So the resultant chip went just a metre too far past but that was one of the few save par puts that he missed all day. Then on the last, his approach looked right on track for the green until a late fade which left him just on the bank above. Again, poor shot or big wind? Not sure as didn't see a post-rd interview.

Whereas Perez, whom I don't mind at all , is a big improver with an excellent all-round game especially his approach shots and putting. But he hit one of the flukiest bunker shots of all time on 17 (assume you've seen it as replayed about x 50) from same bunker MWL landed just out of but his pitch did not spin back by well over a metre!

Min actually kept shaving the cup numerous times in both final rds - quite unlucky not to drain several more birdies for a comfortable win. The great thing is the kid still plays with flair and daring but knows when to reign in his natural aggression far better now. Overall, he's started to avoid disasters more with his long driving while his approach shots and putting have vastly improved. I'm predicting a very promising future - did you see what he did on the front 9 at Augusta in his final rd 2022? IMO he's a precocious talent with a great attitude - to enjoy the game and attack where he can. He was also giving all his key opponents ~10 years more or less in experience.

# As much as you can with any golfer. We all know how form and performance can fluctuate so easily in this game.
PS - Perez now good chance for Ryder Cup team. Lowry ??

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Firstly I'm going the early crow with claiming I first posted here about how promising MWL looked from very early on (can go back and find the post when I get time) - I think he's possibly on the way to becoming our only other serious contender at the highest level (along with Cam) over the next 10 years or so.#

However, that's far too harsh , Red. I watched the whole round from beginning to end and loved his performance . Sure, he started a little nervously and even I was thinking, here we go again, same old scratchy MWL that will keep giving back more shots to his opponents than he's gained from poorly judged shots/clubs again. However, that's quite forgiveable for a 24 y.o. paired with Lowry and F. Molinari, who btw, before long could not go with him as he both out-drove and putted them to the point of demoralisation. In fact, Lowry, despite heavy touting by the Eurocentric/UKbiased commentators, was a jibbering wreck by the end - go see what he did on the 600m+ 18th which MWL was the only late contender to virtually make in 2 and birdie with a brilliant chip that actually had 2 goes at the hole for an eagle that would have put him in a play-off with Perez who made his own mess on 18 for a bogey.

Yes, 2 disappointing late shots but holes 14-18 were played into a very strong headwind as commentators like Radar O'Reilly kept emphasising. Not sure what happened on 17 because he actually went down to a 4-iron instead of preferred 5. Perhaps hit fat or the wind was just so strong. So the resultant chip went just a metre too far past but that was one of the few save par puts that he missed all day. Then on the last, his approach looked right on track for the green until a late fade which left him just on the bank above. Again, poor shot or big wind? Not sure as didn't see a post-rd interview.

Whereas Perez, whom I don't mind at all , is a big improver with an excellent all-round game especially his approach shots and putting. But he hit one of the flukiest bunker shots of all time on 17 (assume you've seen it as replayed about x 50) from same bunker MWL landed just out of but his pitch did not spin back by well over a metre!

Min actually kept shaving the cup numerous times in both final rds - quite unlucky not to drain several more birdies for a comfortable win. The great thing is the kid still plays with flair and daring but knows when to reign in his natural aggression far better now. Overall, he's started to avoid disasters more with his long driving while his approach shots and putting have vastly improved. I'm predicting a very promising future - did you see what he did on the front 9 at Augusta in his final rd 2022? IMO he's a precocious talent with a great attitude - to enjoy the game and attack where he can. He was also giving all his key opponents ~10 years more or less in experience.

# As much as you can with any golfer. We all know how form and performance can fluctuate so easily in this game.
PS - Perez now good chance for Ryder Cup team. Lowry ??
I watched the whole thing too. 1 to 18.

That was a really poor shot on 17. Not even close. And then not even close to making par either.

As the commentators said earlier in the round, he has the game, but at age 24 mistakes are going to cost him a bit. And they did last night.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Been tweaking with the swing over the past 30 years ;) though more so in the past couple of months , amazing how much is changed in the theory of the golf swing since I taught . 2 big things that I’ve noticed ( with help from my mate/coach) that have helped my ball strike is that we stand closer , more on top of the ball with less leaning spine angle ( no not stack and tilt Redford , I know you bought shares in that theory) , however the real biggie Nygun is the hip turn , for so long people taught to keep the bottom half “quiet” *smile* that ,turn those hips as much as you can , helps so much in getting the hands in a nice high position making it easier to do big modern move “shallowing” . As much as the PGA swings look so different there’s always aspects that are incredibly similar .

Hopefully Ryder hangs on and they allow him to go put some pants on before he gets his trophy .

Great to see Sir Nick whack the flounder , just read Sir Nicks new bride used to be a stripper and been married 7 times