Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
What type of player do his supporters envisage he’ll end up like? Tom Lynch, Jeremy Cameron, Eric Hipwood or Reese Stanley? I just don’t see him as a forward. If he could at least hold his marks he’d have a chance.
Has no aggression or willingness to hurt.
Delist.
Agree, his raw athleticism is not enough to offset the absence of intensity and natural football nous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
At this point I’ve put a line through Chol as been anything more then an unreliable highlight package, however with a massive pre season , who knows , talents there

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
He needs to either learn to use his athleticism better or learn how to bash into other players and be bashed into. I don't think he knows how he should play, certainly has little time now to work it out.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Dimma did say he improves year on year, so hopeful he increases his potential much further and force his way into the team, then I will know he is ready.
I reckon he went backwards this season, very frustrating.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I reckon he went backwards this season, very frustrating.

I reckon he went forwards and backwards this year, and that is a big part of the problem.

Really not sure if he can get consistent improvement and also unsure where he fits. Not a great ruck but has height and leap, then again not a great forward either. Where does he fit???

DS

Reactions: 1 user

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
I reckon he went forwards and backwards this year, and that is a big part of the problem.

Really not sure if he can get consistent improvement and also unsure where he fits. Not a great ruck but has height and leap, then again not a great forward either. Where does he fit???

DS
Played a ripper that Port game then went down hill. By finals time he was a liability. That Port game was a bloody hot HA encounter so he does have the wares. I think he needs to spend preseason with the mindful coach.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I think with Mabs when he doesn't run under the ball he improves a bit. And when he throws himself at the CB he can sometimes touch it. But I dont rate him in the air. And neither does the club. That's why we talk about steady improvement.

If he can lift in 2021 Chol may win a senior slot in a triple-premiership side. But even improving he may not. Even allowing for the injury to Soldo.

Vickery. Griffens. Elton. Chol. Talls who lacked nothing morally. Who lacked nothing in the way of character. But who lacked football ability. No wait. Maybe Chol can go on from here. But he is under the pump.

A tall gets five years. It's usually five too many.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
No Soldo and an unknown and delayed CCJ meant the bar for Chol has been lowered which allowed him to stay on the list.

The fact we drafted a ruckman in the draft this year says the club is hedging its bets.

He could play an important role in 2021 and surprise many or it could be his last.

Reactions: 3 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
if I had to make a prediction ,

Think he will continue to be a depth player , a handy one at times , but suspect it will be a struggle for him to play as a KPP at the level required on a consistent basis ,

Much like this year , good in cameo appearances . but cant do it often enough

but more than happy to be proven wrong

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Good on him and hope he makes it, but really needs to find some aggression pills.

Soldo's injury has most likely given him an extra year.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
One of the most talented players on the list who migrated with his family from South Sudan when he was two years of age.
South Sudan is a very dangerous place with poverty, rampant COVID and violent crime a part of everyday life for those unfortunate enough to live there.

Most Richmond players have come to AFL believing that the game is in large part a war, or have been able to adjust to being part of that sort of thinking.
Very tough for Marbs to transition to that, but if he ever manages to do so he will do very very well.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Mabs was the biggest disappointment of the day for me. Was given ample opportunity to make an impression but didn't take it.
We looked like a popgun attack when he was deep forward. Just didn't get to anywhere near enough contests. his workrate simply isn't there & i think they'll start to look past him now.
Expecting CJ to get those opportunities from here in.

Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Mabs was the biggest disappointment of the day for me. Was given ample opportunity to make an impression but didn't take it.
We looked like a popgun attack when he was deep forward. Just didn't get to anywhere near enough contests. his workrate simply isn't there & i think they'll start to look past him now.
Expecting CJ to get those opportunities from here in.

Agree, CJ looked a lot more promising.

Pity really but Chol has certainly had a lot of chances. He knows what needs to be done but just doesn't seem to be capable of stepping up.

DS