Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Well at least he know what it takes to be a full time ruck. Think I might have overrated him a tad. Part time ruck part time something else. Maybe not at AFL level. On face value a pretty ordinary performance.
Maybe? What are you seeing that says he maybe AFl std?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Thought he was alright, taking on Grundy is clearly a tough assignment. His ruck work was solid but he could have imposed himself on a few more contests. I'd keep playing him for the rest of the year and then make a decision on him. Not ready to give up on him just yet.
Really? Every game is a tough assignment for Chol. He was beaten last game by a 191cm ruckman. Can't mark, can't defend. Can't see how he fits in with Nanks back and Soldo back next year. He's only 2.5 years younger than Nanks and 1 to Soldo. Develop CJ and Sampson. Chol's had his chance. Didn't take it. That's footy.

Reactions: 4 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Mabs tires in the second half against elite ruckmen. Not ruck fit. He’s a 3rd stringer ffs. We have far bigger issues.
Not sure I've seen a softer big man Oldie; maybe Vickery. Those marks he allowed Cameron and Grundy to take without hardly competing were damning. 6 years and no improvement; time to move on.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Chol isn’t a second ruck, third ruck, chf…. third string…. second string…,whatever. He’s simply not anything.

Time to get a dose of reality here with Chol. The guy is timid and looks like he doesn’t want to be out there half the time.

You just can’t have his lack of application at AFL level. That weak, timid one arm effort deep in our backline typifies his lack of commitment. It happens way too often that sort of thing with him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Love how people make excuses for this guy. If he is only capable of being a third stringer after this much on the list he should just be traded or delisted.
Correct once you know they are a 3rd stringer, which most seem to agree on, you move them on and free up a spot for another who might become better than a 3rd stringer.

Reactions: 1 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Really? Every game is a tough assignment for Chol. He was beaten last game by a 191cm ruckman. Can't mark, can't defend. Can't see how he fits in with Nanks back and Soldo back next year. He's only 2.5 years younger than Nanks and 1 to Soldo. Develop CJ and Sampson. Chol's had his chance. Didn't take it. That's footy.
Totally agree. Simply not good enough. Groundhog Day every time - expect something different but same old same old. Effort costs nothing and he doesn’t give it.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Not sure I've seen a softer big man Oldie; maybe Vickery. Those marks he allowed Cameron and Grundy to take without hardly competing were damning. 6 years and no improvement; time to move on.
I can't buy this criticism Riddles. Mabs is probably on 170k per season. A patch up ruck.
Grundy a 7 year million dollar man & a seasoned premier eite ruck of the comp.
I won't lose any sleep if he's cut but today its not a fair comparison.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I can't buy this criticism Riddles. Mabs is probably on 170k per season. A patch up ruck.
Grundy a 7 year million dollar man & a seasoned premier eite ruck of the comp.
I won't lose any sleep if he's cut but today its not a fair comparison.
I'm not talking about today I'm talking about his 6 years on the list. The amount of money you earn has no impact on your ability to compete and provide maximum effort. He doesn't do that anywhere near as much as he needs to. That lack of contest against Cameron in the last quarter was soul destroying. No excuses.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I'm not talking about today I'm talking about his 6 years on the list. The amount of money you earn has no impact on your ability to compete and provide maximum effort. He doesn't do that anywhere near as much as he needs to. That lack of contest against Cameron in the last quarter was soul destroying. No excuses.
I was as frustrated by that effort as you are but equally I hope that you're paying attention to the good things he does & not solely focusing on the negatives which I think waay too many Richmond supporters do if I'm honest.

Reactions: 3 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I was as frustrated by that effort as you are but equally I hope that you're paying attention to the good things he does & not solely focusing on the negatives which I think waay too many Richmond supporters do if I'm honest.
The simple fact is that he's not up to it. He's played 30 odd games in 6 years. And I don't think it's talent; he has quite a bit of that. I believe it is desire, effort and work rate and all of those things are in his control. He hasn't brought it and I think it's time we moved on from him.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I thought Chol was ok.

The match was... 16 vs 18? That right? Two of the worst sides in history fighting it out? (Diluted rosters etc.)

So very poor squad vs awful squad.

Grundy #1 to #3 ruck in the game? Fair? #1 to #3 ruck? That fair? Chol, somewhere int the 20s?

And Chol is culpable? LOL root cause on that.

Perhaps we can improve next year. But this year? We lack onfield talent.

Not rule change excuse machine. We lack playing stocks. People who can get a kick. Chol was ok IMO. In a shocking side.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The simple fact is that he's not up to it. He's played 30 odd games in 6 years. And I don't think it's talent; he has quite a bit of that. I believe it is desire, effort and work rate and all of those things are in his control. He hasn't brought it and I think it's time we moved on from him.

I was at the game and thought Chol worked hard but in the last (when both of those critical contests were that you bring up) he was absolutely spent. He doesn't have a 4 quarter tank to play 1st ruck but we had little choice, too many injuries. Nobody would put him in our 1st team ahead of either Nank or Soldo yet people are trying to compare him to that.

He tried hard but being a significantly slighter build than Grundy, smaller in height and a lack of the tank to go with someone like Grundy, meant he was always going to be on a hiding to nothing.

I think our plan was to be ahead enough at 3qt as we knew our ability to compete in the ruck in the 4th would be compromised. Unfortunately our lead wasn't big enough but IMO I saw effort from Chol, but his tank is way too low to be a 1st ruck. Its a fundamental issue that will stop Chol from being an AFL player IMO.

Reactions: 2 users

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
As disappointing as the loss was, with 9 of our best 22 out the reality is we were outplayed by more senior, experienced players in the last quarter. I don't think blaming the back-ups i.e. Chol is helpful, I think some of the senior players need to have a good look at their games over recent weeks and talk with Emma Murray or Ben Crowe.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I was at the game and thought Chol worked hard but in the last (when both of those critical contests were that you bring up) he was absolutely spent. He doesn't have a 4 quarter tank to play 1st ruck but we had little choice, too many injuries. Nobody would put him in our 1st team ahead of either Nank or Soldo yet people are trying to compare him to that.

He tried hard but being a significantly slighter build than Grundy, smaller in height and a lack of the tank to go with someone like Grundy, meant he was always going to be on a hiding to nothing.

I think our plan was to be ahead enough at 3qt as we knew our ability to compete in the ruck in the 4th would be compromised. Unfortunately our lead wasn't big enough but IMO I saw effort from Chol, but his tank is way too low to be a 1st ruck. Its a fundamental issue that will stop Chol from being an AFL player IMO.
Again I'm not basing my criticism on one game but his career. I don't believe he has ever worked hard enough over his career. If he had he'd be a lot better player than he is. He has good AFL attributes but hasn't been able to make the most of them. Why not? Why hasn't he been able to build a tank in 6 years in the system? I'd suggest work rate or lack thereof is the key.

Anyway Oldie is right we do have bigger problems but my frustration is at seeing a player who clearly has talent not busting his arse to make the most of it.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I thought Chol was ok.

The match was... 16 vs 18? That right? Two of the worst sides in history fighting it out? (Diluted rosters etc.)

So very poor squad vs awful squad.

Grundy #1 to #3 ruck in the game? Fair? #1 to #3 ruck? That fair? Chol, somewhere int the 20s?

And Chol is culpable? LOL root cause on that.

Perhaps we can improve next year. But this year? We lack onfield talent.

Not rule change excuse machine. We lack playing stocks. People who can get a kick. Chol was ok IMO. In a shocking side.
Don't think anyone is saying he was the root cause of the loss Jack. Just that he needs to work harder to make the most of his ability and impact contests when they are there to be impacted. But the ship has sailed IMHO.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Riddles, he's improved 3000% since we got him.

No side can win with the #3 ruck batting #1.

Not one ever. Wrong tree. Too much barky.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
So how'd 2 phones go today I missed the game :))

I knew he wouldn't see out the game on his own, no big surprise there at all.

Then when I saw the score I knew straight away it was lost i the centre and poor old Mabs had probably ran outta gas.

Some of our kids are not at the level many thought.

They've not had enough VFL exposure the past 2 years and now they are being exposed at the elite level.

Lads like Chol have had it easy playing bit parts in a dominant side, but that's come to a sudden halt this season..

If GC want him we need to trade him even as steak knives.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
How can you be mad at a bloke for taking three steps back when he also took five forward.

That's Mabs. He was awesome in every way except the three moments he failed dismally. But they're the three he has to do. Because no one else can.

Let's ruck him again next week. Has he played 30 games? He can learn.

He steps forward. He can learn not to step back.