Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Riddles, he's improved 3000% since we got him.

No side can win with the #3 ruck batting #1.

Not one ever. Wrong tree. Too much barky.
Once again, commenting on his career not one game albeit he was extremely frustrating tonight (but not the sole reason we didn't win).

He's done. I'll be pretty annoyed if he's on the list next year.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I can't buy this criticism Riddles. Mabs is probably on 170k per season. A patch up ruck.
Grundy a 7 year million dollar man & a seasoned premier eite ruck of the comp.
I won't lose any sleep if he's cut but today its not a fair comparison.
He has little competitive spirit. Players like him bring a bad mojo to a team.

Let him go at the end of the year. He doesn’t fit our once physical and competitive style. Move on.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
People seem to find it hard to switch tracks. They've got an idea about Mabs and can't see it any other way. You can tell this because they are saying he was terrible last week. He was in fact winning taps but our muds and Cotch in particular couldn't get near it.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Does Mabs ever fumble? God, some of his bootlace stuff is ridic. And did he catch that handball of Shai's even though it was a metre behind him and he was running the other way? You bet he did.

We just have to help him grow into himself. How many of you are 200cm. You don't know.

Reactions: 2 users

jackfrost

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Chol isn’t a second ruck, third ruck, chf…. third string…. second string…,whatever. He’s simply not anything.

Time to get a dose of reality here with Chol. The guy is timid and looks like he doesn’t want to be out there half the time.

You just can’t have his lack of application at AFL level. That weak, timid one arm effort deep in our backline typifies his lack of commitment. It happens way too often that sort of thing with him.
Exactly ..... this isn't brain surgery folks, if you haven't shown it by the 6th year in the system, then you simply are NOT up to it, move him on.

Reactions: 1 users

jackfrost

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Does Mabs ever fumble? God, some of his bootlace stuff is ridic. And did he catch that handball of Shai's even though it was a metre behind him and he was running the other way? You bet he did.

We just have to help him grow into himself. How many of you are 200cm. You don't know.
Could be 220cm, whats it matter when you have zero Football instincts Spook ?

How do you help someone "grow into themselves"

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
I've come to accept that Chol is only playing because things are dire. With Soldo, Nank and CCJ all available, I hope we won't need to have this debate ever again about Chol's AFL qualities or lack thereof. Thanks for filling in Mabs. You filled a gaping hole, but your exit interview/report will read much like most of my school reports...showed lots of potential, but failed to really commit to getting the most out of himself.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Could be 220cm, whats it matter when you have zero Football instincts Spook ?

How do you help someone "grow into themselves"
It's called coaching. They have courses in it now.

Mabs has instincts. He needs to be encouraged to play on them.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Got an ankle injury and played out the game anyway. May not be in next week.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Leysy has a different tact with Chol.

Whilst fitness and intent are issues.

He's biggest one has always been his ability to read the flight of the ball.

All good talls can pick it early, know where to position, use the body, then go at the footy.

He has never had that and is the crux of why he struggles ILO.

He just gets lost when the balls in the air. A small tall.

Reactions: 2 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Wanted to believe, but lost me yesterday.

Love Spook and the great man’s passion, but Chol has had enough time. Let another club see if they can bring him further.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I havent read the last 10 pages of what I assume are calls for Chol to be booted never to be seen again, but my take is Chol gave what was expected.
I thought he competed well at bounces, and mostly around the ground. But he lost 2 critical marking contests late. Why? Because he just isnt good enough, and when he is tired that is even more pronounced.

Having said that he is our 3rd string ruck. Teams dont have 3 strong ruckman, many teams dont have 2. He played well against the Bombers cos he was matched up against their 2nd ruck- Phillips, he played ok against the Suns cos they were missing their top 2 rucks If we want ruck depth it is Chol, or someone else who is going to struggle when matched up against Grundy and Natanui etc. If he walks because someone offers him omre money that is fine, but otherwsie I wouldnt be surprised if he is running around for us again next year. Hopefully in the VFL because at least one of our top 2 ruckman are fit.

Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I havent read the last 10 pages of what I assume are calls for Chol to be booted never to be seen again, but my take is Chol gave what was expected.
I thought he competed well at bounces, and mostly around the ground. But he lost 2 critical marking contests late. Why? Because he just isnt good enough, and when he is tired that is even more pronounced.

Having said that he is our 3rd string ruck. Teams dont have 3 strong ruckman, many teams dont have 2. He played well against the Bombers cos he was matched up against their 2nd ruck- Phillips, he played ok against the Suns cos they were missing their top 2 rucks If we want ruck depth it is Chol, or someone else who is going to struggle when matched up against Grundy and Natanui etc. If he walks because someone offers him omre money that is fine, but otherwsie I wouldnt be surprised if he is running around for us again next year. Hopefully in the VFL because at least one of our top 2 ruckman are fit.

That's a fair assessment Brodders. he's a third ruck with a bit of ground level skill, kicks straight, lacks mongrel. Handy depth player.

Did I mention he's an unrestricted free agent already

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Bit like the elusive Australian all-rounder, has ability in various forms but doesn't excel in any of them.

Really belongs on the rookie list but it seems other clubs are interested. I'm resigned to him leaving.

Last edited:

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Having said that he is our 3rd string ruck. Teams dont have 3 strong ruckman, many teams dont have 2. He played well against the Bombers cos he was matched up against their 2nd ruck- Phillips, he played ok against the Suns cos they were missing their top 2 rucks If we want ruck depth it is Chol, or someone else who is going to struggle when matched up against Grundy and Natanui etc.
Nank, Soldo, CJ, Samson, Mate.

The last two are raw, but Chol will be at 4th string next year and Samson could even challenge that.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
That's a fair assessment Brodders. he's a third ruck with a bit of ground level skill, kicks straight, lacks mongrel. Handy depth player.

Did I mention he's an unrestricted free agent already
Unrestricted free agent? No way. Next you will telling me Scott Pendlebury played basketball as a kid.
Anyway there goes our trade for a 1st rd pick. I am sure the AFL will screw us on compo and only give us a 2nd rounder.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Nank, Soldo, CJ, Samson, Mate.

The last two are raw, but Chol will be at 4th string next year and Samson could even challenge that.
Depends whether CJ is a forward or a ruck. Ryan is still behind Chol and Mate isnt even in the country yet, or on our list proper.

If we want to contend next year, we have more chance of winning games with Chol rucking than Ryan or Collina if injuries strike Nank and Soldo

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
It's called coaching. They have courses in it now.

Mabs has instincts. He needs to be encouraged to play on them.
He has instincts, he doesn't have the desire. You can't teach that. Goneski at end of year imo.