Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Firstly I really like the young man Marbs is , however I don’t like the footballer he is . In the 2017 finals campaign 2 players who have had fairly or unfairly question marks on there commit to the hard ball , however Brando and Houli lifted themselves above there natural instincts to compete as every other Tiger in the 22 , point been players who go half arsed can be a virus in the team , no matter how good of team mate they are off the field

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Getting pumped up a little in the media. Probably behind CCJ although has some tricks. Perceived value higher than actual value so could be a good trade.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Are you sure ?

Footywire Contracts page says

View attachment 13028

Their page isnt 100% correct though, they have Bakes & Soldo OOC this year, both re-signed for 2022 earlier this year
There is a lot of mistakes with the contracts Taz.
Mabs was delisted, then redrafted, hence he becomes a UFA

Richmond​

richmond-tigers.png

Unrestricted free agents
David Astbury
Mabior Chol
Derek Eggmolesse-Smith
Bachar Houli
Kamdyn McIntosh
Ben Miller
Matthew Parker

Restricted free agents
None

Out of contract
Liam Baker
Jason Castagna
Callum Coleman-Jones
Noah Cumberland
Thomson Dow
Ryan Garthwaite
Rhyan Mansell
Will Martyn
Patrick Naish
Bigoa Nyuon
Hugo Ralphsmith
Daniel Rioli
Ivan Soldo
Sydney Stack

This site isn’t 100% correct either

Last edited:

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria

Richmond​

richmond-tigers.png

Unrestricted free agents
David Astbury
Mabior Chol
Derek Eggmolesse-Smith
Bachar Houli
Kamdyn McIntosh
Ben Miller
Matthew Parker

Restricted free agents
None

Out of contract
Liam Baker
Jason Castagna
Callum Coleman-Jones
Noah Cumberland
Thomson Dow
Ryan Garthwaite
Rhyan Mansell
Will Martyn
Patrick Naish
Bigoa Nyuon
Hugo Ralphsmith
Daniel Rioli
Ivan Soldo
Sydney Stack

Bakes & Soldo are contracted for 2022, they both re-signed 25/03/2021

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Richmond​

richmond-tigers.png

Unrestricted free agents
David Astbury
Mabior Chol
Derek Eggmolesse-Smith
Bachar Houli
Kamdyn McIntosh
Ben Miller
Matthew Parker

Restricted free agents
None

Out of contract
Liam Baker
Jason Castagna
Callum Coleman-Jones
Noah Cumberland
Thomson Dow
Ryan Garthwaite
Rhyan Mansell
Will Martyn
Patrick Naish
Bigoa Nyuon
Hugo Ralphsmith
Daniel Rioli
Ivan Soldo
Sydney Stack

There are some players on that list that we need to sign up ASAP. And there are some on that list who will feel very nervous.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
So we’d get maybe a 4th round pick for him ? Is that what’s been concluded here ?
Depends who wants him.
Carltoon or Essendumb i would haggle over the draft pick like an old man returning soup at a deli.
Any other team, what ever you got we'll take it.

• Haha

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
There are some players on that list that we need to sign up ASAP. And there are some on that list who will feel very nervous.
Not many on that list that if they left it would cause a big list mgt headaches.
CJ and maybe Stack.
Obviously I,d love to keep Rioli, Baker, Dow but hypothetically if they did leave we would cover it in 2022.
I dont expect we lose many of the uncontracted players, though we might delist a few.
All up it looks a healthy situation for our list management with not too many scary thoughts

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Not many on that list that if they left it would cause a big list mgt headaches.
CJ and maybe Stack.
Obviously I,d love to keep Rioli, Baker, Dow
but hypothetically if they did leave we would cover it in 2022.
I dont expect we lose many of the uncontracted players, though we might delist a few.
All up it looks a healthy situation for our list management with not too many scary thoughts
Really disagree. Seriously doubt that RFC LM would want to lose any of those young players.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

Im surprised this hasnt been mentioned before.

Perhaps we need to change the thread title to:
Unrestricted Free Agent- Mabior Chol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
CJ and maybe Stack.
Obviously I,d love to keep Rioli, Baker, Dow but hypothetically if they did leave we would cover it in 2022.
Completely disagree.

Losing Stack, CCJ, Rioli and Baker would be a list management disaster.

Reactions: 5 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
As long as he’s on the list, there’ll be temptation to play him. We’ll keep getting exactly what we’ve seen - occasionally brilliant but mostly ordinary, especially in big moments against best teams. I’ll always remember the disdain Collingwood showed him in the last quarter this year - they knew he was suspect in a contest & not prepared to bust a gut to compete in the right defensive spots. Exploited Chol perfectly & it’s why he isn’t a long term option for us. We have to have better players than that.
I have loved his best traits which have resulted in some great individual efforts - so much talent. But have despaired of him ever becoming a truly professional, desperate and ferocious Richmond Man.
However, just for my own interest, I factored in a comparison for this season. Mabs has not played enough career games for any other look. Clearly one plays almost entirely forward but does some rucking there, while Chol is virtually the opposite. It's interesting in some respects - that Chol is ahead in effective Ds and DE ... when you factor in the huge disparity in game time.

I suppose I was just wondering whether, if Tom is struggling so badly with his movement and hampered by injuries, could Chol play KPF and TL sent out to pasture. Yes, I know, the answer is probably that he cannot read the ball well enough in the air and refuses to compete hard enough for long enough.

But maybe his performances are not that much worse than Lynch's over the season and in some ways he is even more effective - damn good disposal and goal-kicking. Another key problem with Chol is he is still too light, listed at 91kgs cf. to TL who is slightly shorter but 8kgs heavier, although not a heavyweight either for that size. If Chol was to put further muscle on, would he be able to finally reach that potential with greater hardness in the contests?

OR, we have 2 talls who are just not able to perform strongly and consistently at the highest level in 2021, which has left us so dependent on the over-worked Nank with CCJ still an apprentice ruck, and no sign of Soldo's recovery.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Losing all of them would be but one of them would be fine.

CCJ & Stack the two "musts" for me.
Agree, especially re CCJ with our 2 KPFs appearing to be in decline and no good news on Soldo. But DRioli seems re-invented down back and forming a great connection with Stack. Baker's sloppy disposal worries me also. (But I also think Bachar needs to face the fact that he is in decline; no future turning 34).

But we should quickly reflect on what both these guys have (R & B) done in our dynasty flag years ... when we even briefly consider letting them go.

Last edited:

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
OR, we have 2 talls who are just not able to perform strongly and consistently at the highest level in 2021, which has left us so dependent on the over-worked Nank with CCJ still an apprentice ruck, and no sign of Soldo's recovery.
I reckon this is close to the real mark as far as 2021 is concerned.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Losing all of them would be but one of them would be fine.

CCJ & Stack the two "musts" for me.
Losing Rioli or Baker means more quality walking out the door. Quality that will form part of our next premiership assault.

Reactions: 2 users