Government Stimulus package. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Government Stimulus package.

Liverpool said:
What we are experiencing Remote is the typical cycle.
Libs have surplus.....ALP *smile* it and spend, spend, spend and put us into deficit......then the Libs come back in and have to make hard decisions to try and get us back into shape again and then when the people don't like the lack of expenditure on things like infrastructure, then they vote the ALP back in again to spend, spend, spend.
What we are now experiencing is the "spend, spend, spend" cycle......the difficult question now is, is there anyone good enough within the Lib party to resurrect the economy if they do somehow get back into power? :help
If not, then we are screwed for a long time. :-\

So you are suggesting had the Libs been in power they would not have put the country into debt in the face of the Global Financial Crisis.

If that is your argument then you are being misled - the Libs themsleves in their budget reply said they would have gone into similar sized debt for not to do so would have put hundreds of thousands of Australian jobs at risk.

So you statement above is utter nonsense - even the Libs would have spent up to save jobs - and that is economics not flamin' politics!

mld said:
Oh god, a pampered rugby bogan frat boy from the northern beaches of Sydney as our next PM? At least Turnbull is a man who has made something of himself.

You have obviously never met the man - I have had the privilege on a couple of occassions and he is a very impressive person - he walks into a room and all know his presence - he shakes your hand firmly whilst looking you in the eye - he talks knowingly and in depth of the current affairs facing Australia - he is jocular with a very dry wit. The man was born to lead - and for Australia's sake I hope he does within the next 2 or 3 Federal elections.

Liverpool said:
Its called "popular politics".
No Government in power wants to have the burden of going to their next election having their country's economy go down the toilet while they were in the hot-seat....whether it was their fault or not.

So the World Bank is urging them to do so because of popular politics? Most economists I've read approve of the policy is that because its populist politics?

As for the payments going to deceased estates and the like thats the implementation of the policy by the public service it doesn't make it poor policy.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about regarding stimulus payments to the deceased. The money is not going to be buried with them, is it? These people had worked and payed taxes throughout their lives and I don't see why their next of kin shouldn't benefit from these payments.

RemoteTiger said:
So you are suggesting had the Libs been in power they would not have put the country into debt in the face of the Global Financial Crisis.
If that is your argument then you are being misled - the Libs themsleves in their budget reply said they would have gone into similar sized debt for not to do so would have put hundreds of thousands of Australian jobs at risk.
So you statement above is utter nonsense - even the Libs would have spent up to save jobs - and that is economics not flamin' politics!

I've never said that we would NOT go into some level of deficit if the Libs were in power as we are on the same planet as the one that is suffering from economic instabilities.
So I am not that one-eyed or naive to suggest the Libs would have saved us from deficit.
However, I doubt very much that the Libs would commit this country to the level and amount of debt that the Chairman has (and continues) to rack up.

The latest example of the 'popular politics' ($4-million worth) being showered onto us is the self-promotion of erecting plaques for all the projects funded by the 'stimulus package'.
Now, before everyone jumps up and down about the Libs erecting plaques....don't forget that we had a surplus when Howard was in power, yet now that we are in deficit, the money the Chairman is going around using as part of his big-noting and trumpet-blowing is BORROWED money.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/05/29/2583894.htm

If thats "economics and not flamin' politics" then I can understand why you say this about Turnbull:

RemoteTiger said:
The man was born to lead - and for Australia's sake I hope he does within the next 2 or 3 Federal elections.

....if the Chairman and co are doing such a great job then I am sure a Chairman-voter like yourself would not be advocating this to happen.
But when the country is run into the ground like it is under ALP power, both state and federal...I guess the Libs are what people then turn to.

All this is quite ironic Remote....that the only a year or so ago, the Chairman and Comrade Swan were rattling on daily about "inflation genies" and to "tighten our belts" and more or less being pessimistic about our economic situation.
Even Howard was still copping it even though the Chairman had a surplus to play with.

Now, here is the Chairman throwing money (the surplus and borrowed money) at us...telling us to "spend spend spend"....giving out borrowed money to dead people, prisoners, criminals, people living overseas, backpackers.

This response was a rushed and ad-hoc approach from a Government that has no idea....proven by the fact that they swung from scaring the *smile* out of people about spending to going in the totally opposite direction less than 12 months later.

IanG said:
So the World Bank is urging them to do so because of popular politics? Most economists I've read approve of the policy is that because its populist politics?
As for the payments going to deceased estates and the like thats the implementation of the policy by the public service it doesn't make it poor policy.

I couldn't give a stuff what the World Bank says.

In fact, go and make yourself a hot chocolate and Google "world bank mistakes" and enjoy some reading material about these clowns.

Take a read of this as well:

http://www.businessinsider.com/2009/2/peter-schiff-stimulus-bill-will-lead-to-unmitigated-disaster

I take more note of this bloke as he isn't aligned to any specific party and bags both the Republicans and Democrats alike.

Also this from a non-partisan group:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/04/cbo-obama-stimulus-harmful-over-long-haul/

Liverpool said:
At least he had the foresight to make his own money....unlike your hero, the Chairman, who has ridden on the coat-tails of his missus.

Did he, thought his family had a fair chunk to start with, but could be wrong.

Liverpool said:
bla bla bla Peter Schiff - I take more note of this bloke as he isn't aligned to any specific party and bags both the Republicans and Democrats alike.

Oh dear Liverpool, another terrible howler. He was Ron Paul's economic advisor in the last election - say hello Libertarian party. He says there should be no central planning in the economy - EVER. He'd abolish the Federal Reserve bank. He's a follower of right-wing Austrian economic thought. He advises Americans to stop investing in America and invest in the North Asian economies - missing the point that these economies are dependent on the US as their major export market. He's predicting hyperinflation in the US, not deflation. He has publicly claimed never to have been wrong, ever. (Hang on, that reminds me of someone)

This is what you get when you know nothing about economics but just pick a guy who says something cool on a web page that you think make sense.

A classic :duh from you Livers.

antman said:
Oh dear Liverpool, another terrible howler. He was Ron Paul's economic advisor in the last election - say hello Libertarian party. He says there should be no central planning in the economy - EVER. He'd abolish the Federal Reserve bank. He's a follower of right-wing Austrian economic thought. He advises Americans to stop investing in America and invest in the North Asian economies - missing the point that these economies are dependent on the US as their major export market. He's predicting hyperinflation in the US, not deflation. He has publicly claimed never to have been wrong, ever. (Hang on, that reminds me of someone)

This is what you get when you know nothing about economics but just pick a guy who says something cool on a web page that you think make sense.

:rofl Liverpool :rofl

RemoteTiger said:
Another guy with only a right eye - That is why every western government has pushed stimulus packages into their economies and why the World Banking Forums urged them to do so- they must be all *smile*ing dumb - and you are the only one with intelligence

Short term knee jerk - we are still getting money flowing through the economy from the December Stimulus - and its kept jobs - bet you would be whinging big time if the stimulus package had not happened and we were still waiting for the Infrastructure projects money to hit and you or your loved ones got laid off - you'd blame that on the government for inaction.

Sheesh you sound like your on Turnbull's payroll - and he has the money too being in the Australian top 200 rich list in BRW - and he made his money out of Merchant Banking the very industry that put the world in this sh!t.

All front and no foundation is Turnbull = another *smile*ing Andrew Peacock -

When are the parties of the right going to wake up that Australia's next Prime Minister is not Turnbull - is not Costello but is Take-No-sh!t Hockey - born to lead this country - put him in charge of the Libs/NP and Rudd would be swept out next election.

Not aligned with any party actually, like/dislike aspects of both sides. eg like the labour policy to means test FTB payments. Have always disliked middle-class welfare.

Just feel the stimulus was a knee-jerk reaction. Know people who own businesses that make profits in the tens to hundreds of thousands and they got the stimulus if they paid themselves less than $100000. Not really appropriate they got it but the decision was made without proper consultation. Just makes me wonder what other decisions will be made on the fly.

Not quite sure merchant banking created the problem although merchant fees are a problem - they keep going up. ;)

Never think it's governments role to get me a job.

You might be on the money with Smokin' Joe.

antman said:

Uhm....Antman....I did say he wasn't aligned to the Republicans or the Democrats and bags them both....am I wrong???

Secondly.....I'd like you to tell me which party (Republicans or Democrats) Schiff has aligned himself to because their policy is to:
* abolish the Federal reserve bank?
* and for USA to investing in its own country and invest in North Asian economies?

You have gone off on a tangent about the right-wing Austrian economics......uhm...can't remember mentioning anything about that.... :cutelaugh

And finally, what stuns me the most...is that you have gone totally gone against that lefty conundrum called the ABC :eek::

Peter Schiff - President of Euro Pacific Capital (United States) says the US planned stimulus will lead to "unmitigated disaster". See here for his interview. Schiff is not politically aligned and has been even handed in his criticism of both sides of politics in the United States. He is the person who accurately predicted the end of the housing bubble in the US all the while being laughed at by the "experts". They don't laugh at him anymore.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2009/02/is-the-governme.html

Keep :duh Antman....you might knock some sense into it one day! :hihi

Livers if the conservatives were in power in Australia today what path do you think they would have taken?
My take is that it would have been almost identical despite what they are saying today

Liverpool said:
Uhm....Antman....I did say he wasn't aligned to the Republicans or the Democrats and bags them both....am I wrong???

No, but you forgot to tell us that was because he's aligned with the Libertarians Party. Probably because you didn't know it.

barty boy said:
Livers nearly every western country has followed the path of the Australian governmnet.

And that makes it right and the best method for Australia?

barty boy said:
Livers if the conservatives were in power in Australia today what path do you think they would have taken?
My take is that it would have been almost identical despite what they are saying today

I do not know Barty....I am not in the Liberal Party....but the more I come on this forum, it is maybe time Liverpool ventured into politics.
VOTE 1 LIVERPOOL
:hihi

Play Centre said:
Hey liverpool, you spent that money you don't approve of yet?

Still under my mattress PlayCentre.
That stimulus package is really doing wonders, isn't it?

antman said:
No, but you forgot to tell us that was because he's aligned with the Libertarians Party. Probably because you didn't know it.

Just because I never mentioned it doesn't mean I didn't know it. ;)

The laughs keep on coming:

Rich taxpayers receiving multiple stimulus bonus payments
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25558462-661,00.html

Play Centre said:
Hey liverpool, you spent that money you don't approve of yet?

Play Centre said:
yeah plenty of laughs!

"Bloke who doesn't want 900 bucks takes it anyway"

And a troll, with a history of harassing Livers, Phantom and rosy, and who registers in a thousand different names, strikes again. How about you try having some genuine discussion rather than being a shitstirrer with your attention seeking agenda? :mad:

Liverpool for public office...Oh dear
since i know you and you're a Richmond supporter ,i'd probably vote for you.
however if you drift too much to the right i will lobby for a coup..LOL

< ETS | K-rudd >