Griffiths | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Griffiths

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
SCOOP said:
This is a really interesting call. I am not critical of it all. For the first time in a long time we have tried to balance out list needs and still get the best talent on the board.
Was Griffiths the best talent on the board? That is borderline. Did the need for a key forward over a midfielder make this pick necessary? Is the gap between the best on the board midfield wise compared to the best on the board that large? Not really. I have no problem with the type of player that was taken. We are screaming out for another key forward to balance up the list. The real shock of this pick wasn’t that we took Griffiths but that we overlooked Aaron Black. But a closer look at the body sizes further explains the pick. We have not had the ability to put muscle onto immature frames. Black is 193cm but only 78kg. Takes a good three to four years to put on the required 15kgs to play as a key forward. Having said that North Melbourne had by far the best draft of anyone at 25, Black was worth the punt. As for Carlsie, he has back issues so he had the same risk factor as Griffiths but can play either end. I am not sure he can be anything more then workman like. Griffiths have the star factor on his side, if he reaches his best he can grow into a more coordinated Kosi. Griffiths, Riewoldt, Post, Morton, Taylor has some structure and size to it. On paper looks OK, not all will make it but it looks better.

Back to the Tigers, so we have got the best body sized key forward of the entire draft. Why did we get him? The shoulder. Shoulder reco’s can be a train wreck, look at Robbie Tarrant. We really need some sound injury management and some patience. His 2010 is almost a write off, should be trying to get him right for 2011 onwards. I don’t expect Griffiths to play more then 8-12 games at any level in 2010. He will have very little fitness base. The upside is huge, the gamble is significant but again I can completely understand the pick.
yep agree with all that one can see why they took him. it is hard to be to critical we sort of had to take a tall here. weather griffiths is the one who knows they have been looking long and hard at him for awhile now, so at least taking him is not based on a few highlight reels like miller used to do.

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
DirtyDogTiger said:
has Griffiths got the tools to take a spell in the ruck?

He spent time in the ruck so cant see why not. Not super quick and not completely sure of his stamina levels so that might hold him back from that sort of position.

smokin joe

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 11, 2004
Didnt they say Judds shoulders where stuffed!
A key forward is a bit different than a midfielder thou!

Tygrys

Tiger Superstar
Apr 25, 2004
tigertime2 said:
If he was not injured would have went in the top 5 according to astute judges - well worth the risk.

If this is true then I think the club did exactly what it needed to do. In fact I can't see what choice it had. Wallet left us arguably the worst list in the competition and it will only get harder to remedy this with the parasites from GC and WS posed to the pillage the draft. Our KP stocks are especially dire and picking a solid citizen at 19 wouldn't help us bridge the gap (let alone be in a position to eventually win a premiership). It's a gamble but the pay off could be massive. With luck we might have an elite KPF and one that we picked up outside the top 10 picks (and frankly draft success stories don't get better than that). That said, again one can only bemoan the stupidity and short-sightedness of that meaningless win and a half that cost us a priority pick. Bragging rights for a week don't come within light years of compensating us for not having three picks in the top 20.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
TOT70 said:
Mr Claw, if you can’t be optimistic on a day when the Tigers have just recruited seven new players, when can you be optimistic?
when we win a premiership not before.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
SCOOP said:
... As for Carlsie, he has back issues so he had the same risk factor as Griffiths but can play either end. I am not sure he can be anything more then workman like.

Didn't realise Carlsie had back issues. If that is the case I'm glad we didn't take him. The back can plague anyone for a long period or worse for life.
Had a friend who had to constantly exercise and manage his back for 10+ years. Total nightmare.
Carlsie may be able to recover or manage his back problem for his career and play some great football. Or he may end up on and off the ingury list for most of his career, playing in discomfort.

Stay away from players with back issues, you don't know what you're getting into

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
the claw said:

You've got it the wrong way round.
After we win this premiership - you're entitled to to be pessimistic cause things can only get worse!

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
the claw said:

So you will be like those Geelong supporters who crapped their pants all the way through the 2007 season, refusing to believe that their team wouldn't find a new way to stuff things up.

Anthony Hudson, that well-known Geelong fan and professional commentator, will tell you that it was close to the least enjoyable season that he has experienced, because he refused to get caught up in the hype, despite the fact that it didn't matter a whit what he did. For many Geelong fans, the only emotion of that season was relief. Sad.

Enjoy the little things, the big things will look after themselves.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
TOT70 said:
So you will be like those Geelong supporters who crapped their pants all the way through the 2007 season, refusing to believe that their team wouldn't find a new way to stuff things up.

Anthony Hudson, that well-known Geelong fan and professional commentator, will tell you that it was close to the least enjoyable season that he has experienced, because he refused to get caught up in the hype, despite the fact that it didn't matter a whit what he did. For many Geelong fans, the only emotion of that season was relief. Sad.

Enjoy the little things, the big things will look after themselves.
Totally get that...........enjoy the french fries and the Woopers will just flow through

rockstar_tiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 28, 2009
Tenacious said:
You've got it the wrong way round.
After we win this premiership - you're entitled to to be pessimistic cause things can only get worse!

With most things in life, a balance provides the best view.

Being overly optimistic or overly pessimistic means you're missing out on something and not getting the full experience.

Being realistic includes accepting that while more negative things may have been happening in recent times, there still has been a lot of positives. The problem is when you become blinded by positives and ignore the negatives - but it's also possible to be blinded by negatives and ignore the positives - an equally, or possbily worse scenario.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
SCOOP said:
so we have got the best body-sized key forward of the entire draft.

I've been screaming for years that we need more body-sized key forwards. I'm happy.

Yeah shoulder recos can be train wrecks, they can be chris judds too.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
Not sure if i have seen Judd take too many overhead marks

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
ICE said:
Not sure if i have seen Judd take too many overhead marks

Can understand the others and I am reasonably happy with the way it turned out, although I was hoping we would take Liam Patrick with a late pick.
Griffiths however was our ???? pick. Injury prone, few runs on the board and concerns about his application.

My personal preference was for Bartlett at 19, but if we had to go tall, Black before Griffiths, in a heartbeat.

Hope I am proved wrong.

Welcome Ben.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
IanG said:
Which is probably too short for us unless he was overwhelmingly good.
would scarlett or glass or riewoldt fevola roughhead pavlich brown and many others be to short for you as well. seems to me once you get above 195 you run the risk of players losing that needed agility more than blokes between 190- 195. they could be 190 as long as they are powerful have speed agility and can kick.
it seems to me so many who are taller become nothing more than mark kick players or ruckmen. but then we have the freaks richo franklin tippett.

how many really good kpfs above 195cm are there.. tippett. t cloke if you rate him, ryder maybe if he plays forward, hawkins maybe, franklin,koschitzke, j white, j kennedy maybe.
there arent a lot not proven anyway what im saying is the vast majority of good kpfs are between 190cm and 195cm. those that are good and above 195 are marginally above 195cm . the exception to this is tippett. if griffiths ends up like tippett great but what are the odds. 18yr old 199cm 98 kg forward it doesnt happen often. they end up ruckmen who go forward in the main.

imo theres a good chance at just 18 with growing to do griffiths will more than likely end up a ruckman.

the only reason im posting this is i dont get the logic when people say 192 is to short. at 18yrs of age black could grow a couple of centimetres in fact its likely. at 82kg black to play kpf at afl needs about 10 15 kg on his frame.its not his height that may be a problem but his size. i reckon hes one who will bulk up nicely anyway.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Has someone stolen Claw's password - He's making too much sense lately.

eg You need some experienced players to protect the kids and its OK to trade for them :eek:

and after bagging our skinny and small backs for years he argues for a 192 cm 70 kg weakling coz he can actually play

;D

the times, they are a changin'