Hard to get excited | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hard to get excited

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
That's because they had so much standing room and allowed people to sit between the boundary line and the fence.

The GF could sell twice over the capacity these days. Think of 2017 with Punt Rd Oval selling to thousands just to watch on a big screen.
Yes of course. The reasons are there for all to see.
I was making a point...numbers at face value can deceive.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I will say something against the grain, I reckon the games appear too long now , prob 18+ would have been right size . 34/35 min qtr are bs

Why are they so long?

Is it because there are now so many stoppages and so many free kicks?

Or is it because the stoppages last so long?

The umpires take forever to ball it up, rucks have to nominate etc.

We used to have 25 minute quarters plus time on, and, there were way more free kicks paid and the scoring was higher. Yet the quarters tended to go about 30 minutes.

I don't think it is the standard length of the quarters which is the issue here, I think it is the way stoppages are so slow.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Why are they so long?

Is it because there are now so many stoppages and so many free kicks?

Or is it because the stoppages last so long?

The umpires take forever to ball it up, rucks have to nominate etc.

We used to have 25 minute quarters plus time on, and, there were way more free kicks paid and the scoring was higher. Yet the quarters tended to go about 30 minutes.

I don't think it is the standard length of the quarters which is the issue here, I think it is the way stoppages are so slow.

DS

Probably longer stoppages once goals have been scored too, got to get those ads in.

Reactions: 6 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
The ruck nomination rule really peeves me.
I would have thought that it'd be simpler just to say that only 2 players can contest in the ruck, pay a free kick if a 3rd player enters the ruck duel.

Reactions: 2 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Many will look at the score from the Port v Tiges prelim and complain about the low scoring but that was one of the most absorbing contests I've ever seen, literally edge of your seat stuff.
Totally agree, Posh Fella. That game was an absolute ripper. One of the very best contests. Had me leaping out of my seat on so many occasions. The tension was absorbing and electrifying.
I was almost delirious when the final siren sounded.

Reactions: 2 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
You don't have to sanitise the game, you don't need to have the ball pinging from one end to the other to get high scores, we had high scores in the 1970s without a sanitised game.

DS

Geez, the Tigers were an awesome side in the seventies.
Twenty goals a game was pretty much the norm then.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I’ve found the last 4 years far more exciting than these supposed halcyon days back in the 80’s and the 90’s. I’m sure that has a lot to do with us being the best in the comp, but I also feel there’s a lot of things were always better in the good old days about that thinking. It’s a little like an injured or retired player seems to get better for every game they miss or every year they’re retired.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The AFL would be happy but the increased uncontested nature of the games doesn't interest me. The increased short kicking. I could care less about higher scores. I dislike the restriction imposed on the player on the mark and think it has massive implications. I noticed a number of times the ump not calling play on when it clearly was and the man on the mark moved but no penalty. I noticed players moving and not getting penalised. And the incessant "stand" calls from the umps will drive me crazy.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I can see your point TBH, but this wasn't a problem years ago. Maybe the fact that the umpire just went in and bounced the ball immediately instead of mucking around for 30 seconds before they get around to balling it up has something to do with this.

If they want to open up the game then slowing down the stoppages so each team can set up seems to be the wrong way to go about it.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I can see your point TBH, but this wasn't a problem years ago. Maybe the fact that the umpire just went in and bounced the ball immediately instead of mucking around for 30 seconds before they get around to balling it up has something to do with this.

If they want to open up the game then slowing down the stoppages so each team can set up seems to be the wrong way to go about it.

DS
I remember listening to talkback after a game and someone asked why the umpire took so long to bounce the ball after a goal. The response was that there’s a red light which the umpire can see that gets flashed. They wait for that, it’s an indication that the tv broadcast is ready to return. So, it’s all about the broadcast.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I remember listening to talkback after a game and someone asked why the umpire took so long to bounce the ball after a goal. The response was that there’s a red light which the umpire can see that gets flashed. They wait for that, it’s an indication that the tv broadcast is ready to return. So, it’s all about the broadcast.

Yeah, there is that one, but they also wait forever when bouncing around the ground.

Given the far lower free kick counts, the lower scoring and the shorter quarters (used to be 25 minutes plus time on) I don't get how quarters are getting longer.

DS

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Yeah, it's still all a bit weird. It's footy but not as we know it. I think the roar of crowds helps but it's not yet get out of your chair and roar footy.

Everything feels different in life post COVID. And most of us (rightly) don't think we are fully out of COVID. Not ready to fully commit to it. Yet.

It will happen. Everything moves on, everything is different. Way of life I suppose.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I'll be excited when Richmond Football Club put every team to the sword and win a third consecutive premiership.
I want to see us really put Collingwood, Port Adelaide,, StKilda, the Eagles and, Geelong to the sword and I mean real arse handings.

Geesook seemingly still haven't got the message.

Kochie's are a bit full of themselves and too much noise eminating from Alberton so a real belting will see them shut up for a bit, the Maggots still think they have our measure becasause we never slap them, and the Eagles are arrogant and just need a reminder.

St kilda also getting a tad cocky lately also could do with a check belting.

Beltings of the Bears, Blues, Drugs and Deez are also most welcome.

Last edited:

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I think history will show that scores will remain relatively high until about round 4 or 5 when defence will start to take a hold again.

We've heard it all before, on how the scoring is higher, then suddenly, once teams get the presses etc in order, scores plummet.

One thing for certain however when assessing dynasties, is that we have done it under the fiercest and most radical changes, almost all which seem to be aimed directly at our style of play.

Defensive Forward Press - Allow kickout extra space from square to clear zone. Didn't work, lets allow more!!!
Small second ruck - Allow ruckmen to grab ball from ruck with no prior.
One Tall Forward - Modify the hands in the back rule to help big guys

Run teams into the ground in second halves - Shortened quarters, be it for one season, plus extended breaks between goals.

It must frustrate Steve Hocking and Gil that we just keep on getting up.

They've even rigged our compensation under free agency.

Heaven knows what they 'll be trying to do next. Allow opposition mids to ride motor bikes in the second half? Roll a 20m wide red carpet out of our goal square all the way to the centre circle and rule that Richmond players can't step on it? With some of the ball skills ive see nthis pre-season, most sides couldn't keep it on the carpet anyway ,and would gift us re-bound goals.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I think history will show that scores will remain relatively high until about round 4 or 5 when defence will start to take a hold again.

We've heard it all before, on how the scoring is higher, then suddenly, once teams get the presses etc in order, scores plummet.

One thing for certain however when assessing dynasties, is that we have done it under the fiercest and most radical changes, almost all which seem to be aimed directly at our style of play.

Defensive Forward Press - Allow kickout extra space from square to clear zone. Didn't work, lets allow more!!!
Small second ruck - Allow ruckmen to grab ball from ruck with no prior.
One Tall Forward - Modify the hands in the back rule to help big guys

Run teams into the ground in second halves - Shortened quarters, be it for one season, plus extended breaks between goals.

It must frustrate Steve Hocking and Gil that we just keep on getting up.

They've even rigged our compensation under free agency.

Heaven knows what they 'll be trying to do next. Allow opposition mids to ride motor bikes in the second half? Roll a 20m wide red carpet out of our goal square all the way to the centre circle and rule that Richmond players can't step on it? With some of the ball skills ive see nthis pre-season, most sides couldn't keep it on the carpet anyway ,and would gift us re-bound goals.

The thing is, with all the changes, I feel we've been ahead of the game.

Everyone thought we would be hurt by the increased kickout distance as it would hurt our forward half game. Last season I think we were one of the best at scoring from our back half. Shorty and Bakes are key to this. I think the further increased kickout distance will also benefit those guys. We are thought of in the industry as a poor kicking team. They get sucked into our gameplay in that we keep it moving by hand, means that we don't trust out kicking. I actually think thats wrong. Dusty is probably the best kick in the game, add in players like Short and Bakes who are 2 of the best kicks in the game.

The tall forward change, we were already recruiting Lynch at this point.

We have been ahead of the game for any of these rule changes, and I'd hasten a guess that the man on the mark rule will also benefit us. We have smart footballers and smart coaches who will take advantage of these rules to our advantage.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Yeah, there is that one, but they also wait forever when bouncing around the ground.

Given the far lower free kick counts, the lower scoring and the shorter quarters (used to be 25 minutes plus time on) I don't get how quarters are getting longer.

DS
The boundary umpires seem to wait an eternity for the nod to throw it in too. What are they waiting for?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
well i guess the umps give the rucks some time to get over there, boundary umps might wait for a go ahead?