Minor premierships | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Minor premierships

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Do they still give out the McClelland Trophy?
Because finishing first means nothing 20210309_225647.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I'm of a pretty strong view that the AFL needs to place a much stronger focus on the minor premiers. It’s tough to win and even tougher to go on and win the flag, as history has shown this century. the reward and recognition needs to be significantly bigger. If the McClelland Trophy doesn't exist anymore, then it needs to be reinstated and celebrated is a much bigger way.

You only need to look around the world to see that most of the sporting world recognises the first past the post team as the champions of that competition, especially when it comes to the world game.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Actually - I counted 6 minor premiers going on to win the flag which is higher than I thought.

6 out of 21 is 29% which is about right for the top 4 who all get a double chance.

Going on that table reckon the minor premier is well overdue to win the flag - maybe the tigers could be that team.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Clearly only one way to fix this. Cos we have to fix every single thing that does not compute. Right? Minor premiers get a big big chocolate cake! No no hang on.... ummm. No, it's... get rid of finals! Yes that's it I'd almost forgotten. Wait wait.... has this idea been on SEN or 360 yet? Just hold fire for a sec then....

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
As far as I know they still give out the McClelland Trophy. It is worth remembering though that this trophy has only been given to the minor premiers for maybe a couple of decades. I remember it used to go to the team which performed best over the seniors, reserves and under 19s.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Our season doesn't finish until the Premiership game, the last one of the year. We know this, its Aussie as.
AFL supporters on the whole dont give 2 hoots about the title of finishing first at the end of the home and away. I cannot even recall a conversation over my years with anyone who does care about it. Ever.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I'm of a pretty strong view that the AFL needs to place a much stronger focus on the minor premiers. It’s tough to win and even tougher to go on and win the flag, as history has shown this century. the reward and recognition needs to be significantly bigger. If the McClelland Trophy doesn't exist anymore, then it needs to be reinstated and celebrated is a much bigger way.

You only need to look around the world to see that most of the sporting world recognises the first past the post team as the champions of that competition, especially when it comes to the world game.

Can only work if you play every other team an equal amount of times.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
Actually - I counted 6 minor premiers going on to win the flag which is higher than I thought.

6 out of 21 is 29% which is about right for the top 4 who all get a double chance.

Going on that table reckon the minor premier is well overdue to win the flag - maybe the tigers could be that team.
Albeit a smaller sample, another interesting statistic could be a comparison of 2000-14 and 2015-20. In the first 16 years there were just 3 premiers (19%) who had to play 3 finals leading up to the grand final. In the six years since the post-round 23 bye was introduced there were another 3 (50%).

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Not the slightest bit interested in MP’s or McL Trophies - unless they are an afterthought to a premiership
Neither is any consolation to a losing finals series

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
If this was the premier league
We would have only 1 title since 1982.
I like the way it is

Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
As far as I know they still give out the McClelland Trophy. It is worth remembering though that this trophy has only been given to the minor premiers for maybe a couple of decades. I remember it used to go to the team which performed best over the seniors, reserves and under 19s.

DS
Wasn’t that because Sheeds had a big whinge about it?

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Carltoon has the longest wooden spoon drought in VFL/AFL history, and was the last of the foundation clubs to win a wooden spoon. Its first wooden spoon came in 2002, the club's 106th season of VFL/AFL competition. Despite this, they currently have the most wooden spoons in the 21st century with five

Carlton are the first (and currently only) team to have both their men's and women's teams win the wooden spoon in the same season, which occurred in 2018

Keep them coming!

• Haha