Have the Tiger Army become a timid lot? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Have the Tiger Army become a timid lot?

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
This has been raised in dispatches previously, but last night highlighted it again in my view. That is, the Tiger Army feels a little muted in their cheering / support compared to the 2017 - 2019 period.

It pains me to say, but the Carlscum supporters owned us in the noise level stakes last night. Believe me, the mere admission is making me ill.

I suspect it’s a lot to do with psychology. That is, a feast of recent success has created a sense of contentment amongst the Tiger folk. Where as Carlscum supporters have been in perpetual famine for the best part of 30 years and their hunger fuels their enthusiasm.

Either way, it’s time to extract the digit, exercise the tonsils, and let rip in terms of our support for our mighty club in 2023.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
This has been raised in dispatches previously, but last night highlighted it again in my view. That is, the Tiger Army feels a little muted in their cheering / support compared to the 2017 - 2019 period.

It pains me to say, but the Carlscum supporters owned us in the noise level stakes last night. Believe me, the mere admission is making me ill.

I suspect it’s a lot to do with psychology. That is, a feast of recent success has created a sense of contentment amongst the Tiger folk. Where as Carlscum supporters have been in perpetual famine for the best part of 30 years and their hunger fuels their enthusiasm.

Either way, it’s time to extract the digit, exercise the tonsils, and let rip in terms of our support for our mighty club in 2023.
Funny you say that. Besides thinking the same for a few years now, watching this game tonight and the way the Pies fans make noise - especially for bad umpiring - we are a quiet lot in comparison. The Pie fans bring it every game.

We used to, but not anymore.

Reactions: 2 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
You probably forgot to plug your hearing aid in Tass. Whack the volume level to maximum. That’ll fix the issue

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Funny you say that. Besides thinking the same for a few years now, watching this game tonight and the way the Pies fans make noise - especially for bad umpiring - we are a quiet lot in comparison. The Pie fans bring it every game.

We used to, but not anymore.

Unless the pies win 2 or 3 flags in a few years, its apples and oranges.

We're only human. I for one am more contented than I was 3 or 5 years ago. Might be a different story in a couple of seasons. But then again, if we win the next two flags I might be more contented than Jabba the Hut, or Mark Phillipousos.

Last edited:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Unless the pies win 2 or 3 flags in a few years, its apples and oranges.

We're only human. I for one am more contented than I was 3 or 5 years ago. Might be a different story in a couple of seasons.
You yell your guts out to give you credit.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
According to the doyen of all things, this should mean we start getting more frees, as the umps penalise teams who fans boo too much.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

DragaTheCro

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2004
Well I can proudly say that I screamed my lungs out last night. Voice is paying for it today

• Love

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
Well round 1 is Carltons grand final, so it makes sense they out cheer us.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Just 1 thing from Thursday night. What was that crap that the Carlton supporters were doing every time Saad kicked the ball???

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I'd describe the crowd psychology as a hesitancy to set expectations too high at this point in time.

Premiership teams usually drop away by now.

It's also unprecedented to keep all your first rounders during a dynasty period

and then add 5 x early picks

and then add 2 x quality 25yo mids...

I think crowds will be ecstatic and roaring if we're a top 4 team this year, but cautious and realistic until proven otherwise.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
In all seriousness I think its a significant factor for success. We were ballistic because of hunger for success, you can't manufacturer that or switch it on and off, its real and passionate and thats why it has an impact. Ours has understandably gone off the boil due to success and the associated expectation. You're less likely to scream your lungs out for something if you've just had a big feed of it.

Carlton's on the other hand is where ours was pre 17, 28 year drought as opposed to 37, but still thereabouts.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Was totally weird on the night.
Never seen a bunch of supporters so overjoyed that we'd managed to steal a list minute draw against Carlscum. Massive cheering n dancing over a *smile* draw, oh how the mighty have fallen in recent years.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Was totally weird on the night.
Never seen a bunch of supporters so overjoyed that we'd managed to steal a list minute draw against Carlscum. Massive cheering n dancing over a *smile* draw, oh how the mighty have fallen in recent years.
Yeah, here what u r saying TM.

I reckon it's more along the line of we looked gone. Therefore zero points.
The joy for me and my mate was the 2 points we'd just taken off C'scum (when they were sure they had 4 in the bank).
The look on their faces around us told the story.

And no chance of the da, da, da, crap ringing out. :vomit
We're still pretty loud.
And proud!

Yellow and Black!