Hello and welcome to the new board | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hello and welcome to the new board

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
there was alot of Hawks people very surprised Bill Nicholls got the chop, they said he was very highly rated and regarded by many..

Let's all remember that Hawthorn also think very highly of Ben Dixon, Daniel Harford and Jade Rawlings to name a few, so if they rate Billy that doesn't really count for much.

Still, I hope he proves me wrong...

A

admin

Not sure I like all the Adelaide colours! :p
I changed the colours Deano...Do they still look too Crowish?...if so I'll strip Coburg of their own bit of identity and take away the red and blue.
Maybe we should give them our themesong while we're at it too, ha. ;D

Haha it just occured to me the Chrissie trees on the main page look a tad "Dockerish" :D

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
No juice on the Bill Nicholls thing just that they were intrigued like alot of us were with the Poyas thing.. But if I remember reading correctly on some posts a few weeks ago on the old site..... Poyas was apparently too cocky and confident and regularly questioned the coaching staff as to their methods etc, this lead someone to drag out an article from not long after he was drafted (in the members newsletter i think it was)
that some of the senior players had to take him aside and tell the new boy to pull his head in cause he wasnt king of the junior footy anymore and he needed to earn respect instead of demand it etc..... anyway Rosy please confirm this or repost that discuccion from a few weeks back if u can find it, so a) people know what the hell im talkin about and b) it was very interesting reading and made alot of sense
And TF i was talkin about passionate supporters not the Hawthorn powers that be, geez whod rate Dixon what a joke he has been for years and still no delisting he must have a contract like a few blokes we know and love ;D Those same supporters would probably rather have got rid of Dixon and kept Nicholls :) if the few i have chatted to are any example ;D

A

admin

..... anyway Rosy please confirm this or repost that discuccion from a few weeks back if u can find it, so a) people know what the hell im talkin about and b) it was very interesting reading and made alot of sense
I can't confirm anything about Ezra, he seemed a nice quiet guy to talk to in person.

A

admin

Ezra discussion from old board

Anyway I'll copy the posts on this discussion over from the other board.

Gus said
What happened to Ezra
I noted in the papers today that Ezra POYAS is no longer listed as training with Melbourne. As he was not selected in the draft it maybe that the poor guy will miss out all together this year.

Would have thought someone would have picked him up somewhere along the line.

Anyone know where he is or what his prospects are

Gus

rosy3
I hope we didn't give other clubs the opinion Ezra isn't worth a crack at AFL.
Something fishy going on with Ezra, and I'd like to know the story.
I hope someone takes him on.
mightytiges
Melbourne don't have any spots left on their senior list so they'll only be participating in the rookie draft not the pre-season draft. Maybe that's why Ezra is no longer training with them. Don't know if he could still be classed as a rookie (he'll be 22 by the start of next season).

Redford
Speaking with a senior player a few weeks ago, I asked him the question 'what was behind Poyas' departure ?' In discussing it with him for a while, he was adamant that contrary to a lot of people's thoughts (mine included !), their was nothing suspicious or sensational behind Richmond's decision to de-list him.

He said that basically, Ezra is a very outspoken and confident person who was consistently challenging the coaching staff over all sorts of matters. The impression I got from him was that Ezra can be quite disruptive and that the club felt that he wasn't so talented that they were prepared to put up with it.

Who knows if this is true or not, but it came straight from a player's mouth so take it for what you think its worth.

Tigerblood
Do ferals remember the first edition of the member's rag that came out after he was recruited? There was an article in it about Ezra Poyas being loud and demanding, and that he was put in line by some of the established players at a weekly meeting. Back then it was written up as semi-positive thing - in the manner of "Our newest recruit is certainly a lively lad, at a recent players meeting..." Since then I've always wondered whether that character trait was what put him on the outer. So Redford's story rings true to me.

A

admin

Ezra Continued

diggler

Poor bloke. Obviously he ran rings around our dopey hick coach who failed form two and couldnt handle someone questioning his obvious incompetance. Good luck Ezra, you were never given a proper go. He had talent and a physique, unlike a few senior duds who get a game week in week out.
********************************************* PMac
Unlike Diggler I dont think Poyas would ever make it as a footballer. He has the body and with the ball in his hands he looks good but he has a problem finding the pill. Whether in the midfield (albeit briefly) or up front he always seemed to be on the wrong side of the pack, leading to the wrong side, running for a crumb too early or too late.

In lower comps (junior and VFL) he can excel as his build and speed compensate for his lack of understanding likewise his one good game at AFL level was against that powerhouse Fremantle. In the end I doubt he can make the jump to be a regular seniors player.
*******************************************YeahNah

He might have been able to find the pill if he was taught that aspect of the game. I wonder if he was teachable? We may never find out.
TigersGoddess
Could we just trust the coaching staff for once. They know more than we do. Why do we always ridicule the club for the decisions they make without waiting to see if they pan out or not. Have a little faith. If it turns out it was a bad idea fine go ahead abuse the hell out of them. But don't do it when we don't know the whole story, or what the club has in mind.
********************************************* rosy3

TG, I think people were pretty harsh on two of our draftees without having seen them play, and should wait and see how things pan out.
I think with Ezra, it's not a matter of not trusting the coaching staff, but more wondering the reasons he didn't get a go.
He showed a bit, and we were very short of players and Ezra was overlooked.
Something is a bit suss, and even if we've done the right thing getting rid of him I can't help wonder the reason he appeared to be out of favour.
TigersGoddess
I wasn't talking about that so much Rosy, I wouldn't mind knowing what happened with Ezra myself. I'm talking about the people who keep having a go at Frawley and the club for the decisions they make. They go and *smile* about it before the even see how it turns out. It's starting to really annoy the hell out of me.

P.S. Note that I'm writing these posts after finishing a shift at work and finding out that I have to work from 9pm til 2am on the weekend before xmas stuffing up any plans I was thinking of making, so I'm probably just in a sh!tty mood.
gustiger12

I just can't work out how we have so many unemployed experts out there. Surely they must have been coaches in their past life.

Obviously there are a few on this list who think they are better qualified than our current coaching staff, but I suppose that is why our coaching staff are getting paid large contracts and some are just expressing their expert opinions on web sites.

I am not saying that I agree with everything our coaching staff do or say, but I concede that they are infinitely more qualified to make decisions than I ever will be.

Oh by the way I played football at the highest country level for about 15 years, but I consider myself humbled by those who are getting paid to do the job we all love to bag.

All I can say is that if any of those who post such inforemed decisions consider they are qualified go and apply for an AFL coaching position and see how far you get.

Someone posted somewhere that they had spoken to a senior player who stated that Ezra was very outspoken and continually challenging the coaching staff. If this is correct then he has been his own worst enemy by the sound of it. I am not bagging the guy, but simply saying that there are obviously two sides to this story and I hate the fact that many have jumped to the conclusion that it is the RFC that is at fault. I doubt it.

Let all get behind the Tigers instead of bagging them or segment of the club for a change

United we stand divided we fall.....

Go Tigers........2003 is ours for the taking

Gus

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
I normally take Steve's comments from RWO with a grain of salt as he has a habit of taking digs at Richmond to make the swans look good. But here's what he said about Poyas when someone over there asked about the swans picking Ezra up in tomorrow's draft:

Without going into specific detail I've previously been directly involved with Poyas in his time at Caulfield Grammar.

I've seen him as a 15 y/o cruise in the same way he did at Richmond for 3 years. Talented but lacking the intensity necessary to step up. Has never really had any interest in the defensive side of the game, which is a major problem given that he needs to become a legitimate midfielder to make it.

That was my concern over him at the time he was drafted, and seemingly not much has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.