Herald/Sun - Newspapers charging for online content | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Herald/Sun - Newspapers charging for online content

casper68

Tiger Champion
Oct 20, 2004
dromana
dusty is number 1 in robbo's likes of the week towards the bottom of the article
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/why-carlton-can-win-the-premiership/story-fn5937w8-1226296657546

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Re: Re: Dustin "Bull" Martin

casper68 said:
dusty is number 1 in robbo's likes of the week towards the bottom of the article
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/why-carlton-can-win-the-premiership/story-fn5937w8-1226296657546
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.Pay to read the H/S online soon. :help

casper68

Tiger Champion
Oct 20, 2004
dromana

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
yeah l signed up for my phone to see what the new stuff is like during games

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
HeraldSun

I was happy to see this morning that you can, finally, use their website on your mobile.

I was EXTREMELY unhappy that we now have to pay to view their articles.

I have had it with the Heraldsun and their money hungry revenue raisers. Its just silly. Will be switching to The Age from now on. The only reason The Age isn't our daily home delivery is because they haven't changed from their large and annoying broad sheet form. The Age have their iPad news app for free, and its also free to read all their articles. The HeraldSun make you pay $7.50 for their app (In app terms, that is an expensive app), but then pay a monthly subscription of $20-30 to view their articles. The app isn't even even very nice to read articles on! They made a Supercoach app last year and you pay $4 which has obnoxious commercials on the bottom banner and they were supposed to update it each year. Not anymore! You pay for a new app EVERY year now. Still $4, and still with ads included. Normally you pay for an app so you do not get any ads.

I can't handle the Herald Sun anymore. I will now only use it for Supercoach.

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:

I didn't particularly like or respect what Robbo or Sheehan had to say when it was free, I'm sure as hell not going to pay for it!

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002

Col.W.Kurtz said:
I didn't particularly like or respect what Robbo or Sheehan had to say when it was free, I'm sure as hell not going to pay for it!
Yeah its a bit of a conundrum[sp].Will be interesting how the H/S and the other print media[They will follow suit] go about it.I mean something like Supercoach attracts 1000,s.How much of an effect will charging have on it etc.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

All the papers will be charging for their online editions soon because financially they have to. They won't survive otherwise.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane

casper68 said:

I couldn't get to the bottom, was laughing too hard at his prediction that Carlton would win the premiership and thay they have shown that they are not Judd one dimensional.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Re: HeraldSun

What about their ridiculous brand new look......."the new era"....... :p

This website's gonna take an 1 hour to browse through. They make more space for their ads and videos than the news.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Why is it ridiculous for the HUN to want to get paid for heir content ?

Why do you think you should be able to get it for free ?

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008

Baloo said:
Why is it ridiculous for the HUN to want to get paid for heir content ?

Why do you think you should be able to get it for free ?

They should get paid, and they do. I just don't agree with how many different ways they try to make money. We have the heraldsun delivered each day so I don't expect to be able to get everything for free. I pay my way there.

I have no problem charging for an app. But either make the app free and pay a subscription. Or charge for the app and have the subscription free.

Charge for the supercoach app and have no ads. Or make the app free, and have ads.

As for charging for the articles online, I'd imagine we can no longer put up RFC related HUN articles as that would now be copyright infringement..

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Lots of negative comments on their blog.

This paper's becoming more pathetic as time moves on.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008

TigerForce said:
Lots of negative comments on their blog.

This paper's becoming more pathetic as time moves on.

I might join in, and throw up a negative comment too.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

I still dont understand the angst. You said they still get paid. How ?

There are two ways to make money on the internet. Advertising and paid subscriptions. Most webmasters would prefer the advertising route but if that is not profitable enough then paid subscription is the other way.

Do they offer a deal where if you signup for a subscription to the paper you get the digital free ?

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008

Baloo said:
I still dont understand the angst. You said they still get paid. How ?

There are two ways to make money on the internet. Advertising and paid subscriptions. Most webmasters would prefer the advertising route but if that is not profitable enough then paid subscription is the other way.

Do they offer a deal where if you signup for a subscription to the paper you get the digital free ?

The thing with the heraldsun is they are doing advertising, AND paid subscriptions. That is my issue. Do one or the other, when you get a subscription from them it still has advertising all through it.

I'm not aware of any deal like that, but if they were to do that I would be happy. I highly doubt they will do it though.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008

Baloo said:
You said they still get paid. How ?

They get paid from me buying their newspaper every day. Me buying their iPad app, and their supercoach app. They also get paid from the advertising they put into their apps. Now they want to get paid to read their online articles as well.

Its alot of ways to get paid! haha!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Tigertool said:
The thing with the heraldsun is they are doing advertising, AND paid subscriptions. That is my issue. Do one or the other, when you get a subscription from them it still has advertising all through it.

I'm not aware of any deal like that, but if they were to do that I would be happy. I highly doubt they will do it though.

People need to click on more Ads then.

I guess that would be a valid gripe I reckon. Subscribers should be free of advertising. They would counter that advertising is subsidising the subscriptions so to remove it would mean increasing the cost of the subscription.

If people clicked more ads when they visited websites there would be less subscription sites.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008

Baloo said:
People need to click on more Ads then.

I guess that would be a valid gripe I reckon. Subscribers should be free of advertising. They would counter that advertising is subsidising the subscriptions so to remove it would mean increasing the cost of the subscription.

If people clicked more ads when they visited websites there would be less subscription sites.

I'd be fine paying more for no ads, all they do is get in the way. Although I may have to start clicking on ads more on my favourite free websites! haha!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Tigertool said:
I'd be fine paying more for no ads, all they do is get in the way. Although I may have to start clicking on ads more on my favourite free websites! haha!

You might be, but would others.

I'm still not convinced a subscription model will work but the NYT is still holding out. The main paper where I live has been subscription only for a while now and shows no signs of changing.

Hopefully it's just a fad but I reckon we're seeing the future now, ads or no ads. Premier content will require a subscription. Normal content won't.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

I would be a little annoyed if I paid for content that the HS have just downloaded from the clubs website and used it word for word under the pretext of being a news story. The trouble is that journalists are getting lazier and do very little additional research.

Don't use the app, but do scan the age and HS websites regularly - would be dissappointed if they charged for access there.