Herald/Sun - Newspapers charging for online content | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Herald/Sun - Newspapers charging for online content

Re: HeraldSun

If it ain't worth paying for, then you won't miss it. If you do miss it, perhaps it is worth paying for after all.

mld said:
If it ain't worth paying for, then you won't miss it. If you do miss it, perhaps it is worth paying for after all.

That's it in a nutshell. As a source of breaking news the HS site is handy, but there are other options. I already buy the newspaper to read over lunch on 80% of weekdays. They're not squeezing any more out of me.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
That's it in a nutshell. As a source of breaking news the HS site is handy, but there are other options.

I wouldn't be surprised their over-exciting, sensationalised, breaking news banners are going to be full screen size now.

The moron answering the blog is a laughter.

"new era of journalism"

Yeah....making people pay to read garbage.

First thing you see are just ads and videos.

Re: Re: Dustin "Bull" Martin

IanG said:
All the papers will be charging for their online editions soon because financially they have to. They won't survive otherwise.
no they dont have to.they will make enough money from online advertising it is just greed

IanG said:
All the papers will be charging for their online editions soon because financially they have to. They won't survive otherwise.

Most already tried that early on and it didn't work. This is due to competition. It is logistically a lot simpler to run a media website then it is to produce and distribute newspapers. As casper mentioned, advertising is how companies make money out of online material.

casper68 said:
no they dont have to.they will make enough money from online advertising it is just greed

No they don't, both Fairfax and News Ltd are leaking money hand over fist. The Age used to make the majority of its money via the classifieds, that has gone.

GoodOne said:
Most already tried that early on and it didn't work. This is due to competition. It is logistically a lot simpler to run a media website then it is to produce and distribute newspapers. As casper mentioned, advertising is how companies make money out of online material.

Its a new world with ipads as well smartphones.

TigerForce said:
The moron answering the blog is a laughter.

"new era of journalism"

It's a new era all right - an era where a population already dumbed down via tabloid journalism becomes dumber because it won't pay to remain casually informed.

IanG said:
Its a new world with ipads as well smartphones.

Yes, and? It's still information access via the Internet. Right now I can access on my device every newspaper around Australia whereas previously in print form I realistically only had easy access to a handful of papers. The extra competiton means there is virtually no chance you will successfully be able to charge people for news today.

By the way, Fairfax probably makes even more money out of classifieds now than ever before. Fairfax owns drive.com.au, mycareer.com.au, domain.com.au, tradingpost.com.au. So you're wrong to say The Age's classifieds revenue has gone. It's in a different form now. much more lucrative now.

May want to pass that bit of news onto the shareholders. Fairfax is in big trouble financially.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
It's a new era all right - an era where a population already dumbed down via tabloid journalism becomes dumber because it won't pay to remain casually informed.

I haven't bothered buying the hardcopy for years now because I only browse online and read what looks interesting.

Wouldn't it be better if this paper showed EVERY single article on their website just as the hardcopy did? Maybe then people will spend.

All this paper has, is amateur and gutter journalism along with deciding to make the website look fancy and modern instead of informative and easy to access.

How can they not be making money in a duopoly?

I'm pretty sure you pay for articles on The Australian's website as well.

I might be a minority here, but I can understand where they are coming from.

I rarely buy a paper these days. any article reading I do is via the websies, which is free. I can't see how advbertising on these websites will cover costs.

Tigers of Old said:
Has anyone subscribed? What's the difference?

You get access to all of the Supercoach articles.

That's all I've noticed so far.

mld said:
May want to pass that bit of news onto the shareholders. Fairfax is in big trouble financially.

Read here mld:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/media/fairfax-and-ten-harbingers-of-bad-news/story-e6frg996-1226296429497

Shows you where the best growth sector for media is. Online classifieds, in particular automotive, real estate and jobs. That's where the money is to be made in online, there an online advertising, not in charging for news (as no-one will pay). Anyway enough of this on Dusty's thread. Maybe a topic for somewhere else.

The Australian has done the same with their web site news, and no doubt all major news papers will be employing this in the near future.

The day may come where there may not be a newspaper to buy in a shop.

Free 2 month subscription then you will have to pay.

They will still be making plenty of money on the daily rag the $ for internet will just mean they make more, or recoup losses on decreased ciculation, i havent seen any stats to back this theory but to me it would make sense to a degree that circulation of daily papers may have dropped due to ipads, internet etc.

The Financial review on line is the same also.

Youd reckon all the major papers the Daily Telegraph, SMH, The Age, Courier Mail, Canberra Times, Adelaide Addie, West Australian and Tazzie Mercury to follow suit.

GoodOne said:
Read here mld:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/media/fairfax-and-ten-harbingers-of-bad-news/story-e6frg996-1226296429497

Shows you where the best growth sector for media is. Online classifieds, in particular automotive, real estate and jobs. That's where the money is to be made in online, there an online advertising, not in charging for news (as no-one will pay).

Then if Fairfax is performing so well in this regard as you claim, why are they teetering on the brink of unprofitability?

Be a bargain at twice the price, and also a privilege, to consume the insightful and balanced journalism of the HS and Aus.

TigerForce said:
I haven't bothered buying the hardcopy for years now because I only browse online and read what looks interesting.

Wouldn't it be better if this paper showed EVERY single article on their website just as the hardcopy did? Maybe then people will spend.

All this paper has, is amateur and gutter journalism along with deciding to make the website look fancy and modern instead of informative and easy to access.

How can they not be making money in a duopoly?

I admit to reading it over lunch, but a conscious effort often has to be made to separate the facts from what is implied by the writer's opinion or bias. Saturday morning's 'Jurrah hit me with an axe' piece is a case in point.

Streak said:
I'm pretty sure you pay for articles on The Australian's website as well.

Hence I haven't visited it in months.

Streak said:
I wonder what this means for people on PRE posting up articles from the Heraldsun?

Very good question Streak.