Hot weather | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hot weather

Gotto laugh at the cheek sydneysiders have in regards to bagging our weather. Another beautiful summers day in Melbourne today. Another wet day in Sydney today.

Tigers of Old said:
Australia's hottest summer on record.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-01/australia-experiences-hottest-summer-on-record/4547746

Global warming?

nothing to see here, andrew bolt told us so

Ian4 said:
nothing to see here, andrew bolt told us so

:hihi

Bolt, Jones & Lord Bung-eye, what an inspiration for all the climate change conspiracy theorists.

Arrived back in Singapore yesterday, this place has a pretty stable tempreture of 29-32ish for the year round. What is amazing is the amount of humidity once the cloud comes in and/if rain falls. I'm a pretty frequent visitor so it doesnt get to me now but the newcommers are quite surprised. Beautiful place to visit though. Coming back via Vietnam it seems like Melbourne has had the great weather out of the lot (the experience of the culture of Vietnam is just fantastic even though I've visited previously - it never ceases to amaze). Personally though am quite pleased just to be jetting in before the game tomorrow night so I can see it on Foxtel. Go Tigers :)

Tigers of Old said:
Australia's hottest summer on record.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-01/australia-experiences-hottest-summer-on-record/4547746

Global warming?

Dry winters and springs but more severe rain events in summer. Now where did I hear those predictions again?

I haven't lived in Melbourne long, ever been anything like this weather?

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/weather/city-eyes-record-heat-stint-as-summer-rolls-on-20130305-2fhto.html

Can't remember exact number of days on end ToO, but as a kid in the late 60's and early 70's, I always remember going back to school in Feb was day after day after day of bloody hot weather.

Tigerhart04 said:
Can't remember exact number of days on end ToO, but as a kid in the late 60's and early 70's, I always remember going back to school in Feb was day after day after day of bloody hot weather.
Agree with that..based on accounts from people more senior to me and my experience in the 80s. Mid Jan through to the end of Feb was the traditional roasting time in Melb. It used to follow a pattern too.. after a build up of several days we would get a whopper of a storm.. then the cycle would repeat again. Now there is no regular cycle anymore.

Tigers of Old said:
I haven't lived in Melbourne long, ever been anything like this weather?

IMO melbourne summer weather has changed dramatically in the past 10-15 years. when i was growing up, summer weather worked on a cycle (like RfC77 was saying). it would start off in low-mid 20's, then would work it's way up to the 30's over 5-7 days. if the cycle went any longer than a week the temp would rise to the high 30's and occasionally into the 40's. at the end of the cycle we would have a storm and a cool change and the cycle would start over again. this just doesn't happen anymore.

Ian4 said:
IMO melbourne summer weather has changed dramatically in the past 10-15 years. when i was growing up, summer weather worked on a cycle (like RfC77 was saying). it would start off in low-mid 20's, then would work it's way up to the 30's over 5-7 days. if the cycle went any longer than a week the temp would rise to the high 30's and occasionally into the 40's. at the end of the cycle we would have a storm and a cool change and the cycle would start over again. this just doesn't happen anymore.
what you describe is a typical weather pattern which is usually followed but yes, this summer seems to have missed the "storm" part of the cycle.

RfC77 said:
Agree with that..based on accounts from people more senior to me and my experience in the 80s. Mid Jan through to the end of Feb was the traditional roasting time in Melb. It used to follow a pattern too.. after a build up of several days we would get a whopper of a storm.. then the cycle would repeat again. Now there is no regular cycle anymore.

yeah, that is my memory of it too. We don't seem to get that storm after 4 or 5 stinkers nearly as often as we used to it seems.

There's going to be a lot of grumpy people by next wednesday in melbourne, next 7 days from thurs to wed forecast,

33-31-32-32-36-36-37 so far. :mad:

Adelaide,

32-34-34-33-38-38-31 so far.

Kid's room's already getting hot as the a/c doesn't reach the back of the house, could be a campout in the lounge for the next 7 nights at least.

in february we equalled tha amount of days over 30 (14). if the current heatwave continues, we'll easily beat the amount of days over 30 for march (8).

Tommo37 said:
There's going to be a lot of grumpy people by next wednesday in melbourne, next 7 days from thurs to wed forecast,

33-31-32-32-36-36-37 so far. :mad:

oh dear, with the way its looking the kid's easter egg hunt will go no further than the freezer. Even the overnight temps are insane for March.

Bill Haverchuck said:
luckily some of us get to escape to NZ on friday ;D Though knowing my luck it will rain all the time...
depends where you're going Bill - heard North Island is in drought, and the cricket got rained out in Dunedin!