Hot weather | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hot weather

TigerForce said:
I just don't get why, as a city in the south, we continue getting extreme heat in Jan, Feb and March but never extreme cold in June, July and Aug??

The reason is that the ' Highs ' that sit in the tasman sea are moving in an Anti- clockwise direction causing all the hot air to belt down into Vic and SA, if it moved in a clockwise direction we would get more cooler conditions and less of this extreme heat and Sydney would be copping all of this heat.

Mine would be

1- Winter. No snakes. No fire risk. Plenty of energy.
2- Spring. Love the new growth and green and some lovely sunny, but not overly hot days.
3- Autumn. Would be at 2 except still big fire and snake risk and up here it's usually depressingly brown, dusty and windy.
4- Summer. Every summer I swear I'm moving to Antarctica. Fires, snakes, energy sapping heat. Paranoia season here. Always on alert. Yuk.

Tommo37 said:
The reason is that the ' Highs ' that sit in the tasman sea are moving in an Anti- clockwise direction causing all the hot air to belt down into Vic and SA, if it moved in a clockwise direction we would get more cooler conditions and less of this extreme heat and Sydney would be copping all of this heat.

I remember my geography teacher explaining that because pressure systems pass close to Melbourne this explains why we get wind and weather from four directions in one day - and why it goes from 40 degrees on a northerly wind to 20 degrees on a southerly wind in a few hours.

When is this heat going to end, next week Monday to Sunday so far, 35-25-31-33-36-38-36.

What is making it worse is that the sun is shining all day everyday, there are just no overcast conditions, the sun is still shining at 8.30pm, this is why we should not have daylight savings, I would rather it be light at 5am if it meant it was dark at 8pm during the summer months.

God knows how the people of Adelaide and people who live in the country are copping.

Remember when cool changes had a almighty storm attached to it, now we get cool changes while the sun is still beating down.

Tommo37 said:
When is this heat going to end, next week Monday to Sunday so far, 35-25-31-33-36-38-36.

What is making it worse is that the sun is shining all day everyday, there are just no overcast conditions, the sun is still shining at 8.30pm, this is why we should not have daylight savings, I would rather it be light at 5am if it meant it was dark at 8pm during the summer months.

God knows how the people of Adelaide and people who live in the country are copping.

Remember when cool changes had a almighty storm attached to it, now we get cool changes while the sun is still beating down.

Generally good just north of Port Fairy as we get the change early but not tonight. Still 35 at 8.10pm just up the road at Warrnambool.

This is getting ridiculous now.The next week here reads like this - 40,42,42,40,42,43,43

Add to this the draining of the Menindee lake's system and what water is remaining has now become blue-green algae.

Eco system gone to *smile* again.Animals dropping dead by the thousands.

Weirs,Locks & dams on our rivers are one the greatest disasters ever produced in our country

Rant over!

tigerdave said:
This is getting ridiculous now.The next week here reads like this - 40,42,42,40,42,43,43

Add to this the draining of the Menindee lake's system and what water is remaining has now become blue-green algae.

Eco system gone to sh!t again.Animals dropping dead by the thousands.

Weirs,Locks & dams on our rivers are one the greatest disasters ever produced in our country

Rant over!

Not even an El Nino year. Wait 'til the real hot/dry weather hits.

tigerdave said:
Probably the worst heatwave that I've ever experienced here.

Dunno how you guys cope in regional areas especially towards the centre of Australia.

I always wondered why Australia's south (near the Antarctic pole) isn't as cold as USA's north (near the Arctic pole)

Given that South Africa and South America are also hot, maybe the north pole is the coldest?

TigerForce said:
Dunno how you guys cope in regional areas especially towards the centre of Australia.

I always wondered why Australia's south (near the Antarctic pole) isn't as cold as USA's north (near the Arctic pole)

Given that South Africa and South America are also hot, maybe the north pole is the coldest?

The northern tip of the US (excluding Alaska) is close to the latitude of 50 North, even Tasmania is not that far south. There'd also be other climatic/geographical reasons with the Great Southern Ocean and currents mitigating cold air flow into Southern Australia (I'm guessing :hihi )

antman said:
The northern tip of the US (excluding Alaska) is close to the latitude of 50 North, even Tasmania is not that far south. There'd also be other climatic/geographical reasons with the Great Southern Ocean and currents mitigating cold air flow into Southern Australia (I'm guessing :hihi )

Maybe I miss-judge oceans as been colder rather than warmer.

Just straighten that axis and we'll all be fine! ;D