Hot weather | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hot weather

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Heavy rain in Warrnambool after the cool change came through.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
MB78 said:
Heavy rain in Warrnambool after the cool change came through.

Let's hope that's the real cool change. Temperatures have dropped but still hot and humid all around.

rosy23 said:
It was 40 here at 10.30 this morning. Really strong north wind. Scary day.

CC TIGER said:
Just been down to Avenel and the outside temp hit 41, winds were getting nasty all the way back to wang, fingers crossed no fires

How do you guys cope when your worse off than us in Melbourne? When I retire, I'm heading for the South Coast or Tassie.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
TigerForce said:
Let's hope that's the real cool change. Temperatures have dropped but still hot and humid all around.

How do you guys cope when your worse off than us in Melbourne? When I retire, I'm heading for the South Coast or Tassie.
Best thing about living in Melbourne compared to up here is you get relief from the heat, we go weeks not dropping under 30, plus no afternoon sea breeze

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
TigerForce said:
Hey WesternTiger,

Has a SW wind with rain really blown into Warrnambool/Port Fairy or are BOM juggling the figures?

It's boiling hot up here.

A wind change and local thunderstorms came through at about 2 when we were leaving for a wedding in port Campbell. Some decent drops of rain however northerlys kicked back in soon after and the temps headed north again.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
WesternTiger said:
A wind change and local thunderstorms came through at about 2 when we were leaving for a wedding in port Campbell. Some decent drops of rain however northerlys kicked back in soon after and the temps headed north again.

Your spot in Victoria is my favourite WT. I hate summer heat especially in heat waves and would rather spend a summer near the coast which has bayside seabreezes, and the SW is usually the first to get a cool change during a hot spell.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
got to 43.6 on the weatherzone app last Saturday. not sure if they use the same data as the BOM, but it must have been a record hot day for December.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
Some more records.....

Coldest Melbourne Day ever -2.8c July 1869
Hottest Melbourne Day ever 47.2c February 1851
Melbourne blanketed in snow for the first and last time in August 1849

Mr Pumblechook

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2004
poppa x said:
Some more records.....

Coldest Melbourne Day ever -2.8c July 1869
Hottest Melbourne Day ever 47.2c February 1851
Melbourne blanketed in snow for the first and last time in August 1849

I think you need to interpret those with a grain of salt. The BoM have only used standardised and calibrated equipment since 1908.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/change/acorn-sat/

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
Mr Pumblechook said:
I think you need to interpret those with a grain of salt. The BoM have only used standardised and calibrated equipment since 1908.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/change/acorn-sat/

True.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Anyone know what rain looks like? ;D Already hit 40 in this 'dry as a bone' city. Hopefully no more bushfires.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Stirring. But reading the likes of The Age, you'd think we'd never had hot weather before.

in terms of extreme heat, I can only remember 1 day over 43 in my lifetime prior to the black Saturday summer of 2008/09 (it reached 44 degrees on... pretty sure it was 25/1/03). since the black Saturday summer I can recall at least 6 days over 43 off the top of my head (4 of them were in 2009, including 3 in a row on around Australia day).