How are we all feeling about the game in 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

How are we all feeling about the game in 2023

How’s your love for our once great game

• Total voters

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
So how is your love of the game now ?

As a grumpy old man in my 40s , my love for the game continues to fall , I actually don’t think it’s the best sport in the world anymore, how can it be , people who have followed it the entire life get frustrated and confused consistently by all things in the game . So many fans dislike the constant shifting of the goal posts by the AFL.

So much angst towards the AFL for rewarding the clubs who consistently fail and no help for those who’ve done it all themselves

The shitting on the long term loyal members .

Again the regular changing of rules without anywhere near enough trial etc etc .

Self indulgent commentators , AFL media with there Ambulance chasing gossip columnists who couldn’t care less about what damage they are doing to the young men and women who are involved in the AFL

How about the consistently inconsistent bans handed out to players by the MRP and Tribunal.

I truly hope the game can become as safe as possible for those playing while as entertaining as it once was, I highly doubt it and can only cross my fingers and toes that smarter people then me can somehow create a new/old game that works , In fact I’m that worried about the game that the AFL need to go backwards to go forwards and get rid of or merge the teams that don’t pay there way, we are going to need millions and millions to fix this .

Reactions: 11 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Fly McRae is changing the game

It’s pretty exciting, we are just *smile* at it

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Same as always. Obviously not being as successful as the 2017-2020 period takes a bit of shine off.

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Still massively interested in beloved Tigers yes our form sucks losing too many winnable games but turning off the AFL and media coverage etc. I suggest don't visit AFL sites or watch listen to non tiger coverage. Fxxk em

Reactions: 5 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Things won’t get better until a broom goes through AFL House and they stop making knee jerk, media driven reactions to everything. Once a rule is implemented, it’s nearly impossible to remove it, they simply tinker with it which *smile* everything up even more. I fear Gil will invent a crisis which means he can’t step down. The next thing they’ll ban around the concussion hysteria is contesting a mark or going for a speccy, because there’s too much danger of coming down and hitting the head. It’s heading more and more toward kick to kick with even less excitement.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
If it weren't for the RFC, I wouldn't bother with footy anymore.
Media around the game is nothing more than a flog fest of irrelevant dribble. Constant rule changes to save the game followed by further adjustments to those rules caused by unforseen consequences of those initial rule changes are a pathetic joke.
Manipulation of every aspect of the competition to ensure that the successful are constantly dragged back into the pack of permanently incompetent to ensure that the incompetent can somehow have a chance to succeed despite their incompetence is an absolute disgrace.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The stand rule has changed the game more then any single rule IMO. Watching players lean over whilst waiting for a play on call looks weird. I doubt I'll ever get used to it fully. But still love the excitement and anticipation of watching the football. I don't watch as many games as I used to though. Glad we won them flags before this rule change.

The AFL have a difficult job but they their lack of transparency contributes to the complete lack of faith I have in them to administer the game properly.

If we don't win it would love a Saints flag, would be great for the city.

Reactions: 6 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Fly McRae is changing the game

It’s pretty exciting, we are just *smile* at it

I wouldn't say changing the game, I would say evolving the game. The successful Richmond teams over 2017-2020 evolved the game with fast running and chaos. McRae is evolving this further.

The game will always evolve and the fast running, but possibly less chaotic because they have the disposal skills, version McRae is presiding over at Collingwood is exciting. But it is an evolution not a change.

As for the rest of the stuff Mr Brightside points to, I agree. The game is currently a mess. The adjudication is massively inconsistent. Most games have around 40 free kicks awarded. This week we have seen 1 game with 52 frees awarded and another with 50, not really outliers and within the realms of a reasonable variation. But, 1 game had 17 free kicks awarded. What, did they send out vision impaired umpires? That is not reasonable variation, it is just a joke and we all know it.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I wouldn't say changing the game, I would say evolving the game. The successful Richmond teams over 2017-2020 evolved the game with fast running and chaos. McRae is evolving this further.

The game will always evolve and the fast running, but possibly less chaotic because they have the disposal skills, version McRae is presiding over at Collingwood is exciting. But it is an evolution not a change.

As for the rest of the stuff Mr Brightside points to, I agree. The game is currently a mess. The adjudication is massively inconsistent. Most games have around 40 free kicks awarded. This week we have seen 1 game with 52 frees awarded and another with 50, not really outliers and within the realms of a reasonable variation. But, 1 game had 17 free kicks awarded. What, did they send out vision impaired umpires? That is not reasonable variation, it is just a joke and we all know it.

DS
Spot on. We started the chaos game and Fly took it with him, but their style won't last for a whole season. Cracks in their final quarter against us and whole game at Gabba last week.

Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Things won’t get better until a broom goes through AFL House and they stop making knee jerk, media driven reactions to everything. Once a rule is implemented, it’s nearly impossible to remove it, they simply tinker with it which *smile* everything up even more. I fear Gil will invent a crisis which means he can’t step down. The next thing they’ll ban around the concussion hysteria is contesting a mark or going for a speccy, because there’s too much danger of coming down and hitting the head. It’s heading more and more toward kick to kick with even less excitement.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
The game as it's played nowadays is about as exciting as a game of rounders. :oops:

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Love watching the Tigers. But I can’t handle losing. It’s worse now than before our premierships. I now have an expectation to win every game. Maybe I am deluded.

As for the state of the game it is what it is.

My boggiest gripe is how it is now reported. Game analysis is almost non existent. It’s been taken over click bait wankers.

Reactions: 8 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The stand rule has changed the game more then any single rule IMO. Watching players lean over whilst waiting for a play on call looks weird. I doubt I'll ever get used to it fully. But still love the excitement and anticipation of watching the football. I don't watch as many games as I used to though. Glad we won them flags before this rule change.

The AFL have a difficult job but they their lack of transparency contributes to the complete lack of faith I have in them to administer the game properly.

If we don't win it would love a Saints flag, would be great for the city.
Interestingly most suburban comps (not sure about country leagues) have abandoned the stand rule this year.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Love watching the Tigers. But I can’t handle losing. It’s worse now than before our premierships. I now have an expectation to win every game. Maybe I am deluded.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Supporters get full bellies as much as players do.

I don't reckon St Kilda supporters would have too many complaints about the game right now.

Reactions: 1 users

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
But it seems Gil is irreplaceable
weed fail GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I can handle losing. This downturn in fortunes is part of life. Enjoy the multi year ride back to the top. Hopefully not 37 of them.
Those who run the game however need to be arsed out asap.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Good poll Mr B.

I watch hardly any other footy now. Used to watch all of it.

Love the Tiges, (always will) but my interest has waned since we won the flags & continues to slide.

I'm very disillusioned with the competition primarily since SHocking changed numerous rules specifically to stop us winning.
I don't pay my membership for our chances to be stopped by AFL House. We've also been bottom of the free kick count for years now.
Stacked deck? No thanks.

Reactions: 9 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I can handle losing. This downturn in fortunes is part of life. Enjoy the multi year ride back to the top. Hopefully not 37 of them.
Those who run the game however need to be arsed out asap.
Especially watching the a-holes flustering again.