How are we all feeling about the game in 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

How are we all feeling about the game in 2023

How’s your love for our once great game

• Total voters
I hated the game way back when the expansion clubs came in. I thought the AFL basically trying to manipulate the draft etc to get both clubs flags asap was as transparent as it was *smile*.
I am driven by fairness of opportunity. In the contrived football league there isn't any. It's a manufactured soap opera.
I basically let my membership lapse at the end of 2016, only to get an attack of the guilts and renewed about round 3 or 4 in 2017.
The Tigers success didn't make me stop hating the AFL and the game, but it made me finally proud of the club.
Now that I see the rule changes brought in to curb our influence, which doesn't hurt us for 12 months, it hurts for 4-5 years, as we needed a new list to play a different style. I'm back where I was in 2013-14. I hate the league. I hate the media.
If it wasn't for PRE, and a few Tigers players I love to watch, I'd be gone completely from the sport.

Reactions: 14 users
in no particular order:
1. Get rid of the stand rule (18 versus 17 unaustralian)
2. Make the goal square relevant again, bring back kick to yourself to play on.
3. Get rid of insufficient intent ( deliberate out of bounds), apparently it's ok to punch it out of bounds from a marking contest anywhere, but a kick, handball or paddle landing still within bounds has the chance of being penalized.
4. Explain to me the difference to Dangerfield/Vlastuin 2020 Grand Final and Lynch against the dogs?
5. Reduce the number of field umpires back to 2.
6. Ban throwing and bring back handball
7. Shoot James Brayshaw and Brian Taylor after they have been flogged unmercifully.
8. Get rid of McLaughlin, what happened about the umpire caught cheating on Brownlow?
Where is Hawthorn report?

I think I don't like the game as much as I did in the 80's lol

Reactions: 7 users
I think so. It may take decades, it may take a couple of seasons. It may evolve into a great game, regardless of what me or you think of it, without the big hits, that continues being successful, or it may die a slow death.

The big problem ATM is the inept, scared, defensive head in the sand approach of the AFL. In spite of what some posters may think this is based on evidence, not consiratorial half-truths. There is a lot of evidence that has been discussed elsewhere, but one example is the AFLs avoidance and refusal to participate in concussion research by reputable institutes , after saying that it would. This is all on the public record. This should be a starting point to any strategy to deal with the issue.

I understand its a difficult issue for the AFL to tackle, but its been around for years and they still have no plan other than pay lip-service while avoiding it. There is no plan, no real policy other than 'concussion is bad', and 'big hits are great'.

The Tom Lynch suspension, putting any issue of bias aside, is an example of the reactive, ad hoc approach. If this becomes normal, the contested pack mark, one of, if not the greatest part of footy, is compromised, and maybe on the way out. If that is the case, does that mean the game is too?

The AFL will be forced to tackle it in a strategic, proactive, evidence-based manner, probably sooner rather than later. A lot of lawyers and consultants will do well out of this, because the AFL Exec have shown they aren't up to the task. Just reacting to a player concussion by reverse engineering an infringement and suspension doesn't cut it, everyone knows it. Sure Paddy McCartin was brave, but was it sensible and was the AFL negligent for allowing his comeback? If he keeps playing and getting easily concussed, does that mean players get suspended if they touch him and he gets knocked out?

Questions that will need to be answered, and possible responses:

What are the most likely causes of concussion? These actions on the field will have to be banned or reduced in intensity
Related to previous, why do players recover differently and why?
Are there effects later in life? How common and how severe? Do we just raise the players pay to deal with it? Pay compo and treatment fees?
Is there a genetic pre-disposition to concussion? Will a genetic test be possible? Can it be made mandatory and players banned?
Will physical players just be run out of the game?
Will very skillful players who are evasive and outside and don't hit or get hit become the majority of players, or only type of player? (I think this is already happening)

I've heard signing waivers raised, but they don't work and the AFL knows it.

The big one:

Do we just accept the impacts of the game as it is, ie concussions, and just try and reduce and manage those impacts?

Or

Do we fundamentally change the game so it is much less physical and become more like hockey/ soccer/ Gaelic Football/ ultra-frisbee etc?

In 50 or a hundred years, IMO, footy will either lack the physical contact it does today, OR will go the way of smoking, bullfighting, bare knuckle boxing etc and just be a niche sport looked back on as the way things used to be?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I hated the game way back when the expansion clubs came in. I thought the AFL basically trying to manipulate the draft etc to get both clubs flags asap was as transparent as it was *smile*.
I am driven by fairness of opportunity. In the contrived football league there isn't any. It's a manufactured soap opera.
I basically let my membership lapse at the end of 2016, only to get an attack of the guilts and renewed about round 3 or 4 in 2017.
The Tigers success didn't make me stop hating the AFL and the game, but it made me finally proud of the club.
Now that I see the rule changes brought in to curb our influence, which doesn't hurt us for 12 months, it hurts for 4-5 years, as we needed a new list to play a different style. I'm back where I was in 2013-14. I hate the league. I hate the media.
If it wasn't for PRE, and a few Tigers players I love to watch, I'd be gone completely from the sport.
Good post General. Same here which is why I don't go to games anymore. In fact I started feeling bad about this league since Richo retired. MCG parking issues, high costs etc.. At least we are still the most recent successful team with 3 flags in 4 seasons and am proud to be cocky enough to other supporters about it. Boringbourne - 1 season, WC - 1 season, Dogs - 1 season, Pussies - should be 1 season, Scumwood - in dreamland.......match our success and then talk!!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just glad I'm 56 and saw the real footy from the 70s onwards. Feel sorry for the kids and future ones.

Reactions: 5 users
Sorry Mods, can merge the thread with Mr Brightside's. I didn't see it and saying the same thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Haven't watched a full Richmond game this year, coming from someone who canceled my 3121 membership in 2021 says how much interest l have.

Love watching the Tigers. But I can’t handle losing. It’s worse now than before our premierships. I now have an expectation to win every game. Maybe I am deluded.

As for the state of the game it is what it is.

My boggiest gripe is how it is now reported. Game analysis is almost non existent. It’s been taken over click bait wankers.

There is 1 shining light in the coverage which is the occasional article on the ABC website/app such as this one: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-06/cody-and-sean-melbourne-demons-wing-analysis/102195712 These seem to appear occasionally but are generally worth the read.

The only other places I would look at would be some of the independent footy sites.

Going to any Murdoch excrement and expecting anything other than click bait rubbish really is well beyond optimistic.

DS

The stand and dissent rule are the two big disasters...moronic changes that havd made so many games unfuriating tio watch

Reactions: 8 users
in no particular order:
1. Get rid of the stand rule (18 versus 17 unaustralian)
2. Make the goal square relevant again, bring back kick to yourself to play on.
3. Get rid of insufficient intent ( deliberate out of bounds), apparently it's ok to punch it out of bounds from a marking contest anywhere, but a kick, handball or paddle landing still within bounds has the chance of being penalized.
4. Explain to me the difference to Dangerfield/Vlastuin 2020 Grand Final and Lynch against the dogs?
5. Reduce the number of field umpires back to 2.
6. Ban throwing and bring back handball
7. Shoot James Brayshaw and Brian Taylor after they have been flogged unmercifully.
8. Get rid of McLaughlin, what happened about the umpire caught cheating on Brownlow?
Where is Hawthorn report?

I think I don't like the game as much as I did in the 80's lol
Nailed it! Nothing left to add.

So how is your love of the game now ?

As a grumpy old man in my 40s , my love for the game continues to fall , I actually don’t think it’s the best sport in the world anymore, how can it be , people who have followed it the entire life get frustrated and confused consistently by all things in the game . So many fans dislike the constant shifting of the goal posts by the AFL.

So much angst towards the AFL for rewarding the clubs who consistently fail and no help for those who’ve done it all themselves

The shitting on the long term loyal members .

Again the regular changing of rules without anywhere near enough trial etc etc .

Self indulgent commentators , AFL media with there Ambulance chasing gossip columnists who couldn’t care less about what damage they are doing to the young men and women who are involved in the AFL

How about the consistently inconsistent bans handed out to players by the MRP and Tribunal.

I truly hope the game can become as safe as possible for those playing while as entertaining as it once was, I highly doubt it and can only cross my fingers and toes that smarter people then me can somehow create a new/old game that works , In fact I’m that worried about the game that the AFL need to go backwards to go forwards and get rid of or merge the teams that don’t pay there way, we are going to need millions and millions to fix this .
Please don't tell me you're not enjoying AFLX by stealth ?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Spot on. We started the chaos game and Fly took it with him, but their style won't last for a whole season. Cracks in their final quarter against us and whole game at Gabba last week.
When they've won a flag or two you could say Fly's changed the game or moved it forward but if I'm not mistaken it's R4 and they got beat in the last game. FMD people get all excited over a footy team in April lol

Collingwood have lost 35 grand finals. I'll believe their next flag when I see it.

It is a complex game, but in addressing it's complexities, the AFL have reached an impasse.
They can't swallow their entitled bull-dust and re-address the mistakes they've made.
The AFL spout words like "inclusive" and "human" and "football public" but remain distant and lack transparency when questions are asked.
The spectacle of the game has been so diluted with dumb ideas of control - STAND and 'Dissent' come to mind -
that the game is still a spectacle but for all the wrong reasons - at times it's unwatchable ..

They need a shake up - like all dictatorial organisations things get on the nose after awhile - and this includes the media. I'm all for free speech but how about some talent?

Obviously when your winning flags footy is much more enjoyable , however it’s not a good sign from this small poll that footy fans are starting to lose interest in the game , the other side is I doubt the game is attracting fans of other sports to AFL.

Ive gone from travelling absolutely everywhere to watch the Tiges play ,even though for a looooooooong period of that we were *smile*, I’d also watch any other game on TV as well as a couple of shows like on the couch. Now I still go to Tiges games or watch on TV, however it’s more to catch up with the lads then the actual game , I watch next to no other games and absolutely zero of the fooTy shows .

Yes life changes as we get older and I still love the Tiges and there’s no doubt whatsoever winning the flag in 2017 was like the biggest bucket list item tick , however there’s just so much negativity surrounding AFL now , has to be when you have the power of social media with morons like Robbo & Cornes , at this point I see myself continuing to love the Tiges and still love a Tiges game day , however the general game and what surrounds it has very little time in my life as it stands .

*smile* I hope we are the minority on here as this dosent make for good reading this thread on the future of the AFL

I'm just glad I'm 56 and saw the real footy from the 70s onwards. Feel sorry for the kids and future ones.

If you sit behind a group of 20yo male mates,

Theyre all paying more attention to their same-game multis

Than much else.

I watched a mad collingwood 20yo sit down dejected when a collingwood player kicked a goal, because 'i had him for a goal in my multi and i cashed out, like, 30 seconds ago. HE, just cost me $300'

(Passes phone up and down aisle, offering proof of his 'loss' - mates all groan and goad him 'why?')

So they dont really care much about the stand rule or accountability. Its all about the anytime goal kicker to them.

We have to face facts here; for better or worse, we are middle-aged, nostalgic, and by-and-large, irrelevant.

And its not gonna get any better as time marches on.

However, that '17 flag is seared in our minds. Even as our synapses misfire, playing their mercifully choreographed lightshow as we draw our last breaths, we'll be watching a replay, smiling.

Anyone interested in buying an option on a bed in a tiger dementia home? Its like an insurance policy against the unthinkable: staff will dress up as '17 premiership heroes, youlle learn 'tigerland' on the ukelele every day, the game replay on every screen in every room, weekly bus trips down swan st with a guide playing tigerland on trombone continuously, and well stop for all you can drink straight-from-the-bottle happy hour in BWS. Im in talks with Jason Castagne about a tattooist-in-residency. More to come

Last edited:
  • Haha
My interest has declined dramatically of late and my reason is the word 'Game' you use in your question. To us supporters its still a beautiful game of aussie rules, which should be appreciated and enjoyed. To the AFL, aussie rules is nothing but a business. The AFL control their business ruthlessly. The AFL control every aspect of that business - the administration, the rules, the money (esp to themselves), the teams, the media, the umpiring, the manipulated outcomes - its just one huge self serving machine and don't get in their way or you will be penalised. The AFL produce a product that suits their national blueprint - there is no fairness, no parity, once you have had success you are sent to the bottom and they just don't care, they have their business outcomes to tick off - Why would I drive 6 hours for every game to be served this contrived product.

Reactions: 4 users