How many spots will be free on the list? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

How many spots will be free on the list?

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Going by the responses on the other thread (Halfway mark) we will have between 8 and 10 players gone at the end of the year. Most of these will be de-listings with a couple of retirements... and maybe one or two as trades but thats debatable... anyway.... assuming Shir and Moore are promoted from the rookie list and we get Raines' son under TFS rule that is only 3 places filled.... and if we went short by having what 36 this year?? what are we allowed to have? say 39 for this example...
That means we would have potentially 8 to 10 kids or 7 kids and 3 ready made players with a 'gun' or two and a handy player... aswell as the chance to stock up with say 5 rookies :D

Is this a realistic scenario? And if so, how will we recruit??

Thoughts please...

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
The salary cap as usual will determine how many players we will have on our list next year. The AFL allows each club to have 38 senior list players and up to 5-6 rookies. We have 36 + 3 this year.

We will no longer have to pay for Daffy and Bourke plus delisting/retiring some senior players should free up our salary cap or alot of it at least. So hopefully we can go close to a full list next year.

Say we offload 7 senior spots + 1 rookie and promote the other two. That will make it 31 spots taken and up to 7 still available and say 5 new rookies.

Shopping list (in order of best player available at the time of our pick) from:
A young ruckman
2 young KP players (CHF/CHB and a FB)
Another tall utility type (AK-type)
3 midfielders - another inside player at least and preferably all with pace, skill (kick with both feet) and near-matured bodies. No 70kg types. If we can trade for someone decent and/or high first round picks then good. Would prefer to draft youth.

5 rookies - can be a mixture of youth and ready made.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
the way it looks at this stage the following wont be with us next year with the possible senerio.s:
traded:
hilton-street[use as a backup]
fiora-guerra[would be good for both players]
petiffer-draft pick[very long shot.probally be delisted and picked up as a rookie]
hall-kpp or draft picks[has shown hardly any improvement]
from the rest of the list who will be delisted used up by our draft picks.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Currently i would delist the following:

Biddiscombe, King, Mills, Hall (has to be close but our lack of talls may keep him on the list), Sipthorp (seems ot have done nothing at Coburg, if he cant make that grad he doesnt deser ev to be in our squad.

Leopn Cameron will retire and i would expect Aaron Fiora to be trade bait as he does show potential but doesnt seem like he wil lever kick on to be a match winner like his #3 draft status suggests he should be.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Dont think Billy nicholls wil lbe around long either and Rory Hilton would want to step up now half way through the season last years injury is no longer an excuse. look for him to be at Coburg this week.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I think in regard to Hall's height and versatility he'd almost be an untouchable on out list.
He hasn't had the best luck with injury this season, and hasn't had the luxury of a few runs with Coburg to get back form and fitness.
IMO people are being a bit harsh on Razor.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Retirements -
- Cameron
- Duncan
- Rogers

Trade bait -
- Fiora
- Pettifer
- Bowden
- Hilton
- Hall
- Vardy
- Zantuck
- Rodan
- Holland
- Fleming

Delisting -
- King
- Biddiscombe
- Mills
- Hyde
- Dragacevic

That means approx. 8 will retire/delist. Might lose 2 through trades = 10. Pick up 2 through trade, pick up 6 raw kids at the draft and 2 at preseason.

I'm hoping we trade hard to get one or two QUALITY players like Judd, Brown, Murphy or Power. No fringe players please. Also hoping we pick up 6-8 raw youngsters.