Hunger, Motivation & Transitioning of the next tier of players | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hunger, Motivation & Transitioning of the next tier of players

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Been thinking about this for some time.

After missing a chance in 2018 ( for whatever reasons) we bounced back courageously through adversity and this group showed they were made of the right stuff and showed the hunger to win the 2019 Premiership.

So we have won the 2017, missed 2018 and won 2019.

I know there are no guarantees in football as many factors can influence the final outcome(flag), but this group has the ability, the team , the coach to climb Mt Everest again, but do they have the hunger and motivation?.

You may ask what a silly question there, of course they do/would !.

But so would the other contenders and other fancies too !.

Tactics, injuries & the Rance factor will play some part in how high we finish to give us the best chance to win our third flag in four years.

That would be history making for the RFC and this special group of players.

How much will Rance not being there mentoring, guiding both group of players of our AFL & VFL sides time will tell.

Can the back 6-7 play as well as they did and have the past 3 years? Can they take their game up to another level? Will teams try ways to isolate them, tag them or some other means to dismantle the best defence of the past 3 years.?

When you look at our age profile ( our top 10-12 players) we are still in a sweet spot for another flag or two.

Much will also depend on our next tier group of 10-12 players that when they are called upon or needed ( as they were last year) can they back that up again and improve further?

That next group of kids that we have waiting in the VFL side are they hungry enough to make a case and show Dimma & the coaches and state a claim for the first round, throughout the year and during finals ?

When you look at this list below that didnt play in the GF of 2019 is both exciting and shows the future is bright if the transition, development , drive & hunger is there in years to come.

Obviously we may not be able to keep and satisfy all our kids as there may be some in the years to come to look for opportunities elsewhere but you would hope that they see a bright future and that there time will come in time.

Have a look at these players ! ( no order)

Jack Graham
Kamdyn Macintosh
Sydney Stack
Collier-Dawkins
Coleman Jones
Jack Ross
Patrick Naish
Jack Higgins
Noah Balta
Mabior Chol
Ryan Garthwaite
Derek Eggmolesse-Smith

The above are just the players we have seen debut or play but i havent included other players who we havent seen yet of our draftees taken in last years NAB draft.

If the above group plus the rest of the kids keep improving and asking questions of the coaches and the senior players we have just as good of a chance to finish top 4 with a home final and anything can happen from there.

I have hope , i am excited for the year ahead and excited to see where this year takes us with especially our younger listed players.

To me they will determine how hungry the senior listed players are to remain hungry & motivated to achieve something great and special in our history and to rank in the modern era of salary cap restrictions, expansion clubs and draft concessions to be ranked a truly great side.

But according to many scribes and clubs out there we may as well hand the cup to Port, West Coast, Pies, St Kilda , GWS , Dogs and through gritted teeth we get mentioned.

Thoughts PRE.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Good post

In addition to the players you have listed the below have scope for improvement

Soldo
Lynch
Baker
Bolton
Pickett
Castagna
Short
Rioli

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Lynch as an improver. Such a ridiculously exciting thought.
He should be at the peak of his powers, but maybe not due to a combination of injury, restricted pre-season and poorer development at the GC. So it is possible that he can go up a notch.
Tantalising!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Rance leaving wont affect them. he wasn't everyone's cup of tea anyway.
If Martin Prestia Lynch and Crimes continue there form into this season good luck to the opposition.
Bolton CD Ross and Castagna are the future.

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
To me, one who's in the gun is Daniel Rioli. I reckon he's just doing enough to keep himself in the team, but he hasn't starred in a game since the 2017 Prelim. I'm not sure he's the player we were hoping he'd be at this point of his career. And with Maurice Junior coming next year, the pressure will be on him to grow an fulfill his potential

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Great post waiting

a few points that spring to mind for me are:

Hunger.
Coaches keep players thinking about mini goals.
they dont talk about premierships until you’ve got one.

the line coach makes sure that each player is aiming to meet mini goals session by session, sometimes play by play.

results take care of themselves.
Think too big and too far ahead and it can get overwhelming. Live in the moment.

depth

CCJ Chol (ruck )
Balta CCJ Chol Garthwaite (key position)
Mcintosh RCD Ross (big mids)
Graham Stack Naish Eggs higgins (little mids)

our management is really good and we are rich beyond our wildest dreams.

Media
are irrelevant: there you go, it’s a business and the more clicks, the more ads revenue.
truth and analysis is the last thing they think about. It does get thought about, but it’s last.
it’s not just sport, it’s worldwide.

The days of the herald sun v the Age are long gone sadly.

Reactions: 5 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
To me, one who's in the gun is Daniel Rioli. I reckon he's just doing enough to keep himself in the team, but he hasn't starred in a game since the 2017 Prelim. I'm not sure he's the player we were hoping he'd be at this point of his career. And with Maurice Junior coming next year, the pressure will be on him to grow an fulfill his potential

Tipping he'll get back to nearer his best this year, now he's got rid of his baggage and distraction.

Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The coaches were more than happy with Rioli s efforts and performance off the ball last year even though he didn't get much ball

Rioli Castagna and Lambert set the pace for territory coverage and pressure which is is our main strength

Position over possession

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Good post

In addition to the players you have listed the below have scope for improvement

Soldo
Lynch
Baker
Bolton
Pickett
Castagna
Short
Rioli
Important point and an underrated one outside of the ardent tiger fan , essentially this is where our momentum will come from , would it be cheeky if I mentioned jack and cotch who both played <10 games and played well under their usual standard would be expected to contribute more in 2020

Reactions: 2 users

thomas the tiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 17, 2004
Good post. I was pushing that our depth was unbelievably strong prior to this years draft. It would seem we have done well again in the draft.

How do we give these guys opportunities.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Good post. I was pushing that our depth was unbelievably strong prior to this years draft. It would seem we have done well again in the draft.

How do we give these guys opportunities.

that is going to be the key Thomas.
Management of players & when to play the next in waiting.
keeping the hunger!

thomas the tiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 17, 2004
Unfortunately losing players out the side door you don’t get much back. Players below were worth more than we got back in most cases

Ellis compensation was terrible.
Butler, Corey ellis etclittle draft picks back
menadue out of the system

with that said would we brave enough to trade out nankeris or Higgins or a Rioli players that are heart and soul types and have trade value.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Unfortunately losing players out the side door you don’t get much back. Players below were worth more than we got back in most cases

Ellis compensation was terrible.
Butler, Corey ellis etclittle draft picks back
menadue out of the system

with that said would we brave enough to trade out nankeris or Higgins or a Rioli players that are heart and soul types and have trade value.

Who's to say the AFL wont shank us again if we do trade someone with "value".

They are only interested in 'equalisation".

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Who's to say the AFL wont shank us again if we do trade someone with "value".

They are only interested in 'equalisation".
Probably because the AFL have nil input into trades, that's something exclusively between clubs.
They may crack the *smile* over an exceptionally sneaky n outrageous deal like the Swans pulled with the Budmeister, but there's nothing they could do to "shank" the deal.