Hunger, Motivation & Transitioning of the next tier of players | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hunger, Motivation & Transitioning of the next tier of players

I know.
but it’s been my signature name since the start!

good posting

On motivation I would add add that we don’t underestimate the impact 2018 will still have on the group and I reckon it’s a lingering sore point for the club - the one that got away.

The players will see the commentary around not being good enough to get get a back to back. In hindsight they could have had a three peat now but they don’t.

This plus the quality of young fringe players will be enough to keep the older players honest and motivated.

Your signature name, I agree and I don’t like it when posters change their name. I like to know who I am talking with.

And, right now, we are STILL waiting for our NEXT premiership.

Reactions: 1 user
Reading an article on AFL about ages and games. We are definitely in the window, my only concern is that the backline is too settled. Not getting enough games into the next generation of defenders.

good posting

On motivation I would add add that we don’t underestimate the impact 2018 will still have on the group and I reckon it’s a lingering sore point for the club - the one that got away.

The players will see the commentary around not being good enough to get get a back to back. In hindsight they could have had a three peat now but they don’t.

This plus the quality of young fringe players will be enough to keep the older players honest and motivated.

Your signature name, I agree and I don’t like it when posters change their name. I like to know who I am talking with.

And, right now, we are STILL waiting for our NEXT premiership.

Thanks year!

Great post. I've been following the Tiges closely since 1975 and 2020 is the best list I've seen in that time. Our depth is fantastic, and with it comes the challenge of getting games into the kids on the brink. The injuries in the first half of 2019 were a blessing. Whilst we don't want injuries like that again in 2020 I actually think Dimma needs to give the young players a go in the first half of the season by systematically resting older players or players at the bottom end of our 22.

I'm sure that won't be popular with other posters here and I'm certain Dimma wont do it. I just think it would keep the kids highly motivated, ensure the vets ready and rested for the big games, keep the team on its toes and keep the mindset really hungry and fresh. Not gifting games like we have in the past, but giving games to players that would be otherwise playing AFL if it wasn't for an established vet being there.

I would strategically rest Houli, Sheds, Cotch, Astbury & Riewoldt. I also would rest the slightly younger stars like Martin, Prestia, Caddy, & Nank. I'd also swap out the bottom end (which is really strong!) unless they were performing e.g Short, Baker, Bolton, even Rioli.

It wont be easy, what would be easier barring injuries is playing the established 22 every week...but we did that in 2018 and by the end of the year we were going through the motions. The team was not fresh, it was not playing hungry footy like we were in both 2017 and 2019 where we came home with a wet sail in both years. We somehow have to make that happen again. Good problem to have. Exciting times ahead!

Reactions: 2 users
https://www.afl.com.au/news/379682

very relevant article on the afl website today about RCD talking about his form slump last year and reflecting on what caused it

pretty interesting insight from the young bloke and looks like he has grown a lot from the experience

Reading an article on AFL about ages and games. We are definitely in the window, my only concern is that the backline is too settled. Not getting enough games into the next generation of defenders.

This is my niggling concern, too.

All our genuine top-liners are 27 or older: Martin (28), Cotchin (29), Edwards (31), Riewoldt (31), Grimes (28), Houli (31), Lynch (27).

Even our excellent next tier of Caddy (27), Lambert (28) and Astbury (29) are in the second half of their careers.

I'm really big on the idea of giving the likes of Collier-Dawkins, Balta, Stack, Bolton, Ross and Chol plenty of senior game time this year. Hoping we can uncover 2-3 genuine long-term stars from this lot.

This is my niggling concern, too.

All our genuine top-liners are 27 or older: Martin (28), Cotchin (29), Edwards (31), Riewoldt (31), Grimes (28), Houli (31), Lynch (27).

Even our excellent next tier of Caddy (27), Lambert (28) and Astbury (29) are in the second half of their careers.

I'm really big on the idea of giving the likes of Collier-Dawkins, Balta, Stack, Bolton, Ross and Chol plenty of senior game time this year. Hoping we can uncover 2-3 genuine long-term stars from this lot.
For me it's Grimes and Astbury that are the biggest concerns. Other than Balta (who I think can make it), we don't have obvious young blokes ready to step in.

I see Garthy as a good VFL player, haven't seen Miller so can't comment, and this may go against the grain with some but I'm far from convinced that Cholly will make it as an AFL footballer. Let's hope he plays a blinder in Wang and proves me wrong.

Either grab a gorilla in the next trade period or pick a couple of promising KPDs in the draft (or do both

Reactions: 1 users
I reckon both Garthwaite & Balta plug in nicely as the next man up tall defenders - but they are both highly unlikely to be the next Rance or Grimes. Garth has the footy IQ but lacks the size and athleticism, Balta the opposite.

I don't know what it is with Garthwaite but I just can't see him making it. Balta is more difficult to predict, he has size, he can run and kick but can he be taught to read the game better? I would keep trying him down back as that is where the need is, but they can't spend more than, say, half a season doing this as I don't think it is his natural spot in the team.

DS

Thought Garthy was good. Did some good spoils. Reckon they are trying him in the Broad role so Broad can be released to the wing.

Reactions: 1 users