Hypocrisy at it's best. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hypocrisy at it's best.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010

Up yours afl bunch of hypocrites tried to screw us in the past and the last 4 years you and that clown Hocking now they want us to chip in $$ to help other clubs lool the boys club. Use the soft cap bs fine and Bolton's fine you screwed us with clowns. Afl the only sport in the world we're the bigger clubs have to suffer for minnows.

Reactions: 3 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida

Up yours afl bunch of hypocrites tried to screw us in the past and the last 4 years you and that clown Hocking now they want us to chip in $$ to help other clubs lool the boys club. Use the soft cap bs fine and Bolton's fine you screwed us with clowns. Afl the only sport in the world we're the bigger clubs have to suffer for minnows.
Except MLB, where they have luxury tax. Oh the NFL, with it's distributions. The NBA revenue shares. The premier league evenly distributes TV revenue, which now I think about it nearly all the euro leagues do. I agree that we should protect our revenue, but the simple fact of the matter is that all big leagues globally revenue share, because it's a sensible way to protect the product and grow the popularity of every team, not just some. Good rant though.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Except MLB, where they have luxury tax. Oh the NFL, with it's distributions. The NBA revenue shares. The premier league evenly distributes TV revenue, which now I think about it nearly all the euro leagues do. I agree that we should protect our revenue, but the simple fact of the matter is that all big leagues globally revenue share, because it's a sensible way to protect the product and grow the popularity of every team, not just some. Good rant though.
I agree with all that but this is a step further.
This is not reducing total distributions as I see it, what it is doing is taking $2 million of every club, creating a pool of $36 million and then distributing that to the clubs who need it.
In the end a club like ours is being mandated to reduce costs in the soft cap, then being forced to hand those savings back to the AFL and then that money is given to clubs without our earning power.
I get why but it is galling nevertheless. We are being disadvantaged for our success and supporter base, not being treated equally but actually being disadvantaged

Reactions: 7 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The AFL are trying to dupe the clubs "again", they said that may lose up to $500 million last year, but ended up with a loss of $22 million. Twenty two million is probably about half of what they poor into the Suns and GWS each year.
Go and take a walk off a short bridge Gil.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I agree with all that but this is a step further.
This is not reducing total distributions as I see it, what it is doing is taking $2 million of every club, creating a pool of $36 million and then distributing that to the clubs who need it.
In the end a club like ours is being mandated to reduce costs in the soft cap, then being forced to hand those savings back to the AFL and then that money is given to clubs without our earning power.
I get why but it is galling nevertheless. We are being disadvantaged for our success and supporter base, not being treated equally but actually being disadvantaged

Exactly. This isn’t revenue sharing, this is taking from the well run and giving to the poorly run.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Most of those leagues have significant payouts for winning the comp. Then distribution is often tiered based on finishing positions. EPL distributes based on how many prime TV slots a team plays. MLB World Series winners get something like 30m for winning.

Its only the AFL that's trying to play Robin Hood. If they want us to chip in to help the others, then we should form a joint committee with AFL to run the game.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Maybe we should spend well over the "soft cap" on off field staff, pay a truck load of "tax" to the AFL, make a loss then they can redistribute all back to us.

Reactions: 11 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Most of those leagues have significant payouts for winning the comp. Then distribution is often tiered based on finishing positions. EPL distributes based on how many prime TV slots a team plays. MLB World Series winners get something like 30m for winning.

Its only the AFL that's trying to play Robin Hood. If they want us to chip in to help the others, then we should form a joint committee with AFL to run the game.
Nah, the purpose of the rev share models is to even up the competition, it's exactly the same thing for exactly the same reason. Again, I'm not for what the AFL is trying to do, I'm just saying that nearly every league in the world supports the smaller clubs with money from the bigger clubs, so let's not pretend this is some outrageous anomily in world sport, because it is happening to some extent right now in every league. I work on a major project for an NFL team. They just had to dip into the NFL coffers to help them get through covid - coffers filled with money essentially contributed from the big clubs like the Cowboys.

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
So Sydney were worst off loosing crowds and MEMBERSHIP. How is membership lose the problem of the stronger teams??? Why should Tigers suffer because they have loyal fans. Sydney fans have ALWAYS dropped off when they do not perform.. What a load.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I have no problem with a bit of evening up, although I don't remember too much help from the powers that be when Richmond were shaking tins to survive.

The issue with this really is that the AFL are so opaque, do whatever they please, are so inconsistent etc that no-one trusts that they do anything to help the sport and the competition as a whole. Too many ad hoc decisions and favours for mates for most peoples' liking.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Tell them kiss our ass.
So we compensate broke clubs that every year seem to sign up players in the off season.
Port hasn't stopped every year they offer players decent coin to join them.
What's Danihiar on at Brisbane?
What's Stkilda's issue?
If they didn't recruit Hannebury they would have 2 million.

We need a super league

Reactions: 1 user

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
What gets me to the afl have been on to us and any chance they can punish us they do now they come crawling back.Compo pick for Ellis ,fines ,Hocking on rule changes ,tribunal and even in past they weren't much better.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
What gets me to the afl have been on to us and any chance they can punish us they do now they come crawling back.Compo pick for Ellis ,fines ,Hocking on rule changes ,tribunal and even in past they weren't much better.
And some people think we should be more vocal against the AFL. Imagine what they’d do to us then? AFL HQ don’t want clubs run by members, they want franchises controlled by head office and due to equalization measures and handouts they are already well on their way.

Anyway, my biggest annoyance with all this is that Richmond FC somehow pulled themselves up by their bootstraps and became an absolute powerhouse both on and off the field. Instead of enjoying the spoils of our victory and splashing our hard earned cash on everything from doubling our recruiting team to sending our players off to high altitude “camps” for a month to having a dedicated assistant coach for every player. Instead we have to cut spending and hand our cash over to AFL so it can be “redistributed”.

Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The AFL would have got their $2M back from all the fines we've paid.

• Love

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Id be OK with a $ redistribution,

if they retrospectively redistributed all the expansion draft picks,

took Demetrious expansion bonus back,

dont give Shocking any golden handshake,

and give Scott the Collingwood job.

It occurred to me today, one of the few things THE AFL gets consistently right in the eyes of all,

is The Norm Smith.

and guess what? The AFL dont decide it, but a largely independent panel of experts.

so why the *smile* wouldn't they have a rules committee, an MRP and an equalisation committee of,

largely independent experts?

Imagine how *smile* up the Norm Smith, if they had ONE of their stooges like Christenson or Shocking just decide who was the best on GF day?

Tex Walker, Phil Davis and Gary Rohan would all have Norm Smiths and Dusty would have none.

Reactions: 5 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
It's us who pays for this - we buy Richmond memberships and the corrupt AFL tax collector says we'll take that - we need it for the bloated executive salaries for non performing flogs like Gil and sHocking - I mean we need it for distribution to the basket case plastic clubs like GWS and GC that we have mismanaged. @#$% off.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Sounds like the AFL is scrambling for cash.
Only a few years back they were flushing money down the toilet with AFLX.
Betcha that money would be handy now.

Reactions: 7 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Maybe we should spend well over the "soft cap" on off field staff, pay a truck load of "tax" to the AFL, make a loss then they can redistribute all back to us.
You sound like one of tax scam promoters

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Let the maladministered clubs get their own finances in order.
Dont spend what they haven’t got. Fiscal responsibility and governance is paramount.
Its too easy to run back to the AFL for a another handout when a club over spends. Make them trim the fat and open their books as to where the spend is going.
The fact that clubs have different stadium deals was supposed to have been addressed with the AFL purchasing Marvel Stadium.
Now they want to take more money from the bigger (better) run clubs. How does this encourage better administration, financial responsibility etc from ALL clubs.
Cut the number of fat cats the AFL employs. Streamline costs, no jobs manufactured to look after the “old boys”. Set the example

What does the bloody AFL Commission actually do? About time they had an Independent Review and Audit for the entire AFL staff, their roles, their performance, their remuneration.
Drain the swamp. Trim the fat. Neuter the fat cats.

• Love

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Tovarishch, listen to me brothers and friends. Let me tell you how I'm about to bend you over once again and *smile* you up the arse, but you won't even notice.

AFL already has a massive inequity in the equalisation distribution of revenue to the " poorer, disadvantaged " clubs. Yet it's still not enough, they simply want to *smile* the well run clubs over even harder. Obviously all the clubs picking their arses trying to somehow find some money have all voted in favour of the idea. While the Moggies of course who have already been massively " assisted " recently are more than happy to turn a blind eye n go with the flow.