Hypocrisy at it's best. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hypocrisy at it's best.

As we are a non profit based tax set up.bussines we must use the bulk of our gross revenue with profits showing mainly for lending purposes for future and current loans.

Now we are kms ahead of everyone,we can easily pay over the softcap and will next year,take it to the bank.

good point Jokerman

Reactions: 1 user
How can the AFL suggest they are helping clubs worst hit by the pandemic and take money from us.

We draw the biggest crowds, so when crowds aren't allowed in, we are hit the hardest. Playing in front of empty stadiums is business as usual for teams like Norf, GWS, GCS, Swans, Geelong with their stadium capacity of about 3!

No club pays their own players, they are employed by the AFL. The AFL fund the salary cap and the clubs determine how they will distribute it. Being rich or poor doesn't change the amount you have to pay players at all.
So this $23M is all soft cap & not player payments ?

Think you are wrong

1627615806326.png

The AFL hands over the full amount of the salary cap to every club each season and the club distributes it.
Never heard that before. Which section of 'income' is it included in? The cap was $12.5m last year so I assume it's in 'Revenue from contracts with customers'?

1627615806326-png.12944

Not sure about that, need a better accountant than me to answer.

It's a bit like a teacher or a nurse being employed by a specific school or hospital but their wages and ultimate contract and conditions are with the relevant government department. A nurse isn't paid by the hospital, she is paid by the department of health, which is distributed by the local HR team.
Is that entirely true? I thought a nurse or teacher was paid by the respective hospital/school which is funded by the respective state government department (which if you take it back another step is funded by the taxpayer.)

Not sure about that, need a better accountant than me to answer.

It's a bit like a teacher or a nurse being employed by a specific school or hospital but their wages and ultimate contract and conditions are with the relevant government department. A nurse isn't paid by the hospital, she is paid by the department of health, which is distributed by the local HR team.
Fair enough. It must be quite a recent thing.
It should also ensure that players at clubs that cannot afford to pay 100 per cent of their cap because they are struggling off the field will not miss on money they might have earned at stronger teams, with their club able to make it up to them once they are in a stronger financial position.

That balance sheet above looks to me like the player salaries are not part of the club accounts. Possibly the accounting for this is separate given the income and expenditure are not really part of the club's finances.

I don't really follow this but I thought clubs could underspend on player salaries and effectively bank this for later use (within limits as the article details). Mind you, COVID may have changed this.

DS

You would think so if the soft cap is $6.7m as not sure what else they would spend $16.8m on if not player salaries.

DS