I'm bored, what games should I watch? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

I'm bored, what games should I watch?

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Wiley was my favourite player at the time - I was 9, along with Rowlings. I think they were' #2 and 22 if I recall correctly. Wiley only played 4 years for us, a bit longer and he'd be in the discussions as a club great.

Wiley was an absolute jet, won 5 consecutive BnF's for Perth , played for us for 5 years then went back & won Perth's BnF in 3 consecutive years

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
When I was a kid my favourite player was Disco Roach, and my brother's was Merv Keane until he missed a stretch through injury and he swapped to Flea Weightman (he was pretty young and chose them from footy cards). Our older sister's favourite player was Bryan Wood, and we told our younger sister, - who was even younger than my brother and couldn't care less about footy - that her favourite player was Rob Wiley, so we had a place for him. We told our baby brother - who was literally a baby - that his favourite was Jimmy Jess. The world seemed right.

Then a couple of years later Maurice came along and my older sister and I betrayed our first loves. My brother is still wedded to Flea, like a middle-aged man who married his high school sweetheart and couldn't be happier.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
When I was a kid my favourite player was Disco Roach, and my brother's was Merv Keane until he missed a stretch through injury and he swapped to Flea Weightman (he was pretty young and chose them from footy cards). Our older sister's favourite player was Bryan Wood, and we told our younger sister, - who was even younger than my brother and couldn't care less about footy - that her favourite player was Rob Wiley, so we had a place for him. We told our baby brother - who was literally a baby - that his favourite was Jimmy Jess. The world seemed right.

Then a couple of years later Maurice came along and my older sister and I betrayed our first loves. My brother is still wedded to Flea, like a middle-aged man who married his high school sweetheart and couldn't be happier.

I was always slightly left-field, so when I started going to the footy I had 22 Barry Rowlings on my dufflecoat. As a shortarse loved the mosquito fleet though - Flea, Wiley, Phil Egan, etc. Priviledged to see the last of Francis Bourke, Malthouse as they ended their careers too. Like you I fell in love with Mr Magic Rioli.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Well, I have finished the Geelong game, round 21 2017. That was one hell of a game. Yes we lost, but the second quarter by Geelong was great and we managed to turn it back and get within a kick. Not something any of our teams from the previous 30 years would have managed against such quality opposition. Closest thing I've ever seen to an honorable loss. The standard was high too, we were on our way to being a contender, playing one of the best sides in the league and not competing by trying to drag them down a notch, but by trying to match their level.

Cracker of a game.

Umpires were putrid though. There was virtually no time between inconsistent decisions at points in that game, they usually give it a couple of minutes before doing a 180 on their interpretation of rules. Not that day.

DS

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Taking a leaf out of your book, DS, I've started watching last year's games. Watched the R2 loss to Collingwood last night. Remembered as a bad loss (44 points) but it was a close game until they pulled away in the last 15 minutes, helped by some shocking umpiring (27 frees to 9).

In the calm light of hindsight it wasn't that bad a loss considering we were a bit discombobulated a week after losing Rance, Riewoldt broke his wrist two minutes into the second quarter (but played out the game), Higlet took the field with an undiagnosed brain disorder, and we were without Houli, Caddy, Bolton, Baker, Pickett, Stack, and Soldo. Weller and Markov both played. Jack played second ruck. We should have known then that Collingwood were frauds.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Doing the 17 victory pack today.

just finished the Q final.

a couple of things I noticed. Caddy was incredible. George has improved out of sight. He was very raw in '17.

hes still raw, but he was like steak tartare back then.

putting on the prelim now. Dannys 4. Firmly my 3rd best experience at The G ive ever had.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012

Love these memories Spook. As a very young boy, I was given a *smile* Clay #8 jumper from an uncle. The first player I chose to have their number on my back was #40 for Geoff Raines, which then required some unpicking and resewing from my mum to change it to #4. On my duffle coat, I had 'Michael 8 Roach'. I also loved Maurice when he arrived, along with KB, Ghost, Robbie Wiley, Flea, Francis, Merv, Bazza, Mick, General, the list rolled on.

My weekly Saturday ritual as a young boy was driving down from Ballarat, stopping at Bacchus Marsh for a pie, parking near the old metal footbridge at the G where the Tennis Centre is now, kicking the footy back to the umpires after a goal in the Amateur games while the car was being unpacked and then running around to the rooms in the Northern Stand and waiting for the players to arrive. Most of the players were very good and happy to sign my Footy Record. I always struggled to get Rainsey's autograph, most weeks he would just keep walking.

Disco Roach used to work for Merrett Hassett Sports stores. I met him at the Ballarat store one day, which was a great highlight. I remember him always being very friendly. Our family also knew Mick Malthouse's parents, and Mick's mum arranged for me to meet Mick when I was around 9 at her home. I can still remember Mick asked me who my favourite player was and I rattled off the usual names. It was only after I got in the car to come home that I realised that I had left Mick off the list!

Thanks Spook, this has brought back some great childhood memories.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
Love these memories Spook. As a very young boy, I was given a *smile* Clay #8 jumper from an uncle. The first player I chose to have their number on my back was #40 for Geoff Raines, which then required some unpicking and resewing from my mum to change it to #4. On my duffle coat, I had 'Michael 8 Roach'. I also loved Maurice when he arrived, along with KB, Ghost, Robbie Wiley, Flea, Francis, Merv, Bazza, Mick, General, the list rolled on.

My weekly Saturday ritual as a young boy was driving down from Ballarat, stopping at Bacchus Marsh for a pie, parking near the old metal footbridge at the G where the Tennis Centre is now, kicking the footy back to the umpires after a goal in the Amateur games while the car was being unpacked and then running around to the rooms in the Northern Stand and waiting for the players to arrive. Most of the players were very good and happy to sign my Footy Record. I always struggled to get Rainsey's autograph, most weeks he would just keep walking.

Disco Roach used to work for Merrett Hassett Sports stores. I met him at the Ballarat store one day, which was a great highlight. I remember him always being very friendly. Our family also knew Mick Malthouse's parents, and Mick's mum arranged for me to meet Mick when I was around 9 at her home. I can still remember Mick asked me who my favourite player was and I rattled off the usual names. It was only after I got in the car to come home that I realised that I had left Mick off the list!

Some great memories. I loved having those sewn on name strips down each sleeve of my duffel coat. Apart from the player names, my favourite was ‘Tenacious Tearaway Tigers’ :clap2

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Nice, Ossie. I had Disco's 8 on my Tigers jumper and my dufflecoat, but when I got an Esso training top, I had Maurice's 17 put on the back. Disco signed the number 8 on my dufflecoat in the Princes Park car park one day, and he signed a Record outside the G for me another time. Really nice bloke. I went over the pen with black texta to make it stand out on my dufflecoat, only for a couple of older kids at school to accuse me of forgery!

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Fox playing the 2017 preliminary again now.

First time I've seen it on TV. Looking again I reckon Cotch missed getting a week by the skin of his teeth, especially with two strikes already up.

Tend to agree Richo. He did go for the ball, but the shoulder clipped the ball. Astbury got him again a bit later which could have muddied the waters enough.

If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd say that the AFL thought Adelaide would smack us in the GF and kept Cotch in to try and make it competitive at least. That would be funny.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Yes Tass those names down the sleeves of the duffle coats were great. I also remember the huge signs that were hung along the second level of the Southern Stand - "Ruthless Richmond".

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Nice, Ossie. I had Disco's 8 on my Tigers jumper and my dufflecoat, but when I got an Esso training top, I had Maurice's 17 put on the back. Disco signed the number 8 on my dufflecoat in the Princes Park car park one day, and he signed a Record outside the G for me another time. Really nice bloke. I went over the pen with black texta to make it stand out on my dufflecoat, only for a couple of older kids at school to accuse me of forgery!
Haha, great work with the texta Spook! I remember Disco was left handed when signing. I wonder how many kids had the #8 on their jumpers and duffle coats?

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
1986 Elimination, Fitzroy pip Essendon by a point in pouring rain. Best non-Richmond final I've been to, I say that even though I was also at ...

I was at that game too. Can still remember the tank drifting into space and slotting the winner with a few minutes to go. A lot of disappointed bumbers supprters that day.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
im spewin i haven't kept any games from 2018, i went to each & every one of them, saw 4 interstate losses & the prelim obviously but wow that year we played some unbelievably good footy
I have them all - the wins at least.
I have every Richmond win, the losses in Finals, and all Grand Finals since 2008.
In the beginning, disk space was never a problem but now it's beginning to bite. Ha ha!

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
I was at that game too. Can still remember the tank drifting into space and slotting the winner with a few minutes to go. A lot of disappointed bumbers supprters that day.
It was a great day for any non-Bombers MD! Can you remember who the future Tiger was playing on Micky Conlan that day? He had done a great job until the final minute!

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Tend to agree Richo. He did go for the ball, but the shoulder clipped the ball. Astbury got him again a bit later which could have muddied the waters enough.

If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd say that the AFL thought Adelaide would smack us in the GF and kept Cotch in to try and make it competitive at least. That would be funny.
If GWS had gone too hard on this they could have been slapped for keeping a concussed player on the ground. He didn’t go off for a bit and there was no test. He comes out of it holding his shoulder, not his head.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Fox playing the 2017 preliminary again now.

First time I've seen it on TV. Looking again I reckon Cotch missed getting a week by the skin of his teeth, especially with two strikes already up.
Doesn't the story go that Christian was so filthy about being out voted in his quest to have Cotchin suspended that he spat the dummy and told the incoming knucklehead SHocking he'd only continue in the position if he was one out?
Not 100% if it was Bartel and Jamieson who were on that case too, but whoever they were, we should be eternally grateful :clap1

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Here's a sliding doors moment for you.

Cotchin gets a week in the 2017 Prelim and misses the Premiership. It's a bittersweet victory.

Through 2018 the pain of the skipper missing out burns in the entire club. Collingwood and West Coast are no chance, such is our hunger.

In 2019 the arrival of Lynch again propels us to the flag.

Hey presto, 3 in a row and heading for 4.

Plausible! I'll still take the two flags with Cotch in both... I reckon we would have probably got over Adelaide without Cotch but who knows....

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
Yes Tass those names down the sleeves of the duffle coats were great. I also remember the huge signs that were hung along the second level of the Southern Stand - "Ruthless Richmond".
They were great. My favourite being ‘Richmond - Our Powerful Premiership Predators’

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Here's a sliding doors moment for you.

Cotchin gets a week in the 2017 Prelim and misses the Premiership. It's a bittersweet victory.

Through 2018 the pain of the skipper missing out burns in the entire club. Collingwood and West Coast are no chance, such is our hunger.

In 2019 the arrival of Lynch again propels us to the flag.

Hey presto, 3 in a row and heading for 4.
Good work TBR! Still want Cotch playing in 2017, but happy with the rest! Now, can you please help me work out a long running problem I have often thought about?

In September 1982, how can we have Mick Malthouse and Andy Preston not get injured in the second semi, BT to play in the GF instead of Ian Sartori, Bruce Tempany not have his arm broken in the second quarter of the GF and the rain to stay away? If that happens, I reckon we win the Premiership and history might be very different thereafter!

Last edited: