Indigenous History Debate | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Indigenous History Debate

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
I don't have any time for most of them but if I look at all our PMs in the past 40 odd years; Morrison, Turnbull, Abbott, Rudd, Gillard, Howard, Keating, Hawke and Fraser I think Abbott absolutely stands on his own, at the bottom of the pile.

As a statesman he is just an embarrassment. The awkwardness, the glowering, the many, many instances of just being a plain weirdo. Putting all politics aside, his conduct as a human is just beneath the level we should be able to expect from any PM. I shudder to think how he was seen by other world leaders during his time as PM.

It's much like footy, I just call it as I see it without any fear or favour. And besides I'm much too rich to be a lefty.
Plenty of rich lefties about.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I don't have any time for most of them but if I look at all our PMs in the past 40 odd years; Morrison, Turnbull, Abbott, Rudd, Gillard, Howard, Keating, Hawke and Fraser I think Abbott absolutely stands on his own, at the bottom of the pile.

As a statesman he is just an embarrassment. The awkwardness, the glowering, the many, many instances of just being a plain weirdo. Putting all politics aside, his conduct as a human is just beneath the level we should be able to expect from any PM. I shudder to think how he was seen by other world leaders during his time as PM.
Thought he was a good and decent man, smeared beyond redemption by the leftist press. But each to their own.

Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
His assassin was a treasonous power-hungry useless bastard. If you want to start a Turnbull pile-on, I'll join in.

I guess you are new to politics if you think Abbott wouldn't have done the same. Abbott was a pretty handy treasonous white-anter himself. There are always those who will want the leadership, and Abbott was as prepared stick the knife in as anyone.

Turnbull was pretty useless, but was hamstrung by Abbott and the other RWNJs of the Libs.

Reactions: 1 user

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011

I have Rudd and Gillard right up there with Abbott.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I reckon Abbott must think it's hilarious. 5 years since he was PM and he's still living rent-free in the lefties pointy little heads.

Hahahahaha, geez you want living in peoples' heads? I have friends who were involved in student politics at the same time as Abbott, yet even as a minister he was still having a go at Student Unions/Associations at universities. Plenty have been living in his demented head for decades.

As for the billions thrown at aboriginal issues over the years, the biggest problem is that way too much of it goes into white pockets.

DS

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Hahahahaha, geez you want living in peoples' heads? I have friends who were involved in student politics at the same time as Abbott, yet even as a minister he was still having a go at Student Unions/Associations at universities. Plenty have been living in his demented head for decades.

As for the billions thrown at aboriginal issues over the years, the biggest problem is that way too much of it goes into white pockets.

DS
Student politics?
Well there's a shock:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Don't let it worry your pointy little head

Last edited:

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
I have Rudd and Gillard right up there with Abbott.
I wonder how Rudd was seen on the world stage; throwing tantrums, calling the Chinese rat *******?
He made Billy McMahon look almost competent.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Abbott's crowning glory was his destruction of Turnbull wasn't it? What else did he do? Killed the carbon EMT which is great if you are a climate change denier I guess. Made Prince Phillip a knight? Successfully fended off same sex marriage for a few years, but to what end?

Claimed he and Hockey would deliver a budget surplus every year, never delivered one.

Poor bugger was so inept he didn't even make it to his first election after being PM. His own parliamentary party colleagues couldn't stand the bloke.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
You can throw in arrogant as well. A man who thought he could win by moving his party to the political centre.

I don't know too many politicians who aren't arrogant in some way or other. Abbott was equally so with his bizarre sequence of "captain's picks". Turnbull was definitely a moderate but Abbott and the like would not let the party move, and Turnbull was not brave enough (or didn't have the numbers) to tell them to GGF. Australians don't like extremes on either sides of politics.

In any case I think both conservatives and progressives were equally disappointed with Turnbull.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Turnbull was definitely a moderate but Abbott and the like would not let the party move, and Turnbull was not brave enough (or didn't have the numbers) to tell them to GGF. Australians don't like extremes on either sides of politics.
Surely you're not implying Morrison is extreme? Knocking Turnbull on the head has worked wonders for the Liberals.
I honestly don't understand it, but do find it amusing that the mere ghost of Abbott still sets lefties trembling in rage or fear.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Abbott's crowning glory was his destruction of Turnbull wasn't it? What else did he do? Killed the carbon EMT which is great if you are a climate change denier I guess. Made Prince Phillip a knight? Successfully fended off same sex marriage for a few years, but to what end?

Claimed he and Hockey would deliver a budget surplus every year, never delivered one.

Poor bugger was so inept he didn't even make it to his first election after being PM. His own parliamentary party colleagues couldn't stand the bloke.
Don't forget about him putting the fear of god into Putin by saying he was going to shirt front him.
We would be having any trouble with China if Uncle Tony was still the man, Xi Jinping would be quivering in his shoes........a fantastic diplomat was Abbott.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Don't forget about him putting the fear of god into Putin by saying he was going to shirt front him.
We would be having any trouble with China if Uncle Tony was still the man, Xi Jinping would be quivering in his shoes........a fantastic diplomat was Abbott.
Well at least he wouldn't have called them "Rat *******"

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Not rubbish at all.
Read the history of the liberal party and the principles that Menzies founded it on.
It was formed from the ashes of the United Australia Party which was staunchly conservative. Not in my lifetime can I recall it being referred to as "centrist".

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Surely you're not implying Morrison is extreme? Knocking Turnbull on the head has worked wonders for the Liberals.

I honestly don't understand it, but do find it amusing that the mere ghost of Abbott still sets lefties trembling in rage or fear.

Strange interpretation. Scomo's a hollow man - apart from standing up for lobbyists and graft I'm not sure what he stands for. Abbott at least had some sort of moral philosophy.