Internal Memo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Internal Memo

S

Skyfire

Apparantley an internal memo sent from someone within the club to club personnel which has been doing the rounds, apologies for the formatting.

Key Message Brief – July 16 2003
Current Status:

Make no mistake, our supporters are angry. In particular, their ire
is being directed at Danny Frawley. The opinion of Danny is
widespread and at an all-time low.

We are approaching a critical time in terms of membership retention
and acquisition for next year: if the mindset of the average
supporter doesn't improve between now and October-November,
selling memberships will be nigh on impossible – regardless of how
good the offer is.

With this in mind, EVERYONE MUST ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES:

1. Any and ALL references to our members and supporters is nothing
short of glowing. "Best," "Most loyal," "Most passionate," "…feel
fortunate to play in front of/serve such a great support base…"There
can be NO FURTHER REFERENCE TO LACK OF LOYALTY,`FICKLENESS,'
OR `BANDWAGON.'

2. With regard to Danny's future, all comments must be a measured
mixture of support without a perceived `blind faith.'
Thus:
"Danny Frawley is contracted to the end of 2004. As the head
coach of the Richmond Football Club he deserves the respect and
support of the Club and he has both. Like everyone else at the Club,
he is under pressure to perform."

3. In relation to point # 2 above, comments regarding the direction
of the Club also need to be a measured mixture of support and
expectation.
Thus:
"Under the guidance of Greg Miller, there is a clear plan and
direction for the team. It has already been stated that the list will
be reviewed aggressively at the end of the season. We believe we have
assembled a strong and experienced Football Department and that they
will deliver sustained success for the RFC."

4. Having pulled back on the amount of media exposure for Danny
Frawley, Danny appears to have lost the attribute that most endeared
him to supporters in his first few years.
Danny needs to re-introduce some recogniseable and palpable
emotion/passion/appreciation for the RFC AND ITS SUPPORTERS.

He will be advised accordingly.

crackertiger

Swan street 2017
Jan 4, 2003
melbourne
I will renew my membership next year, will you?

But the we must face facts, many fellow Richmond supporters have lost interest, and who could blame them.

Work colleagues of mine have clearly stated that they would not buy their Richmond membership next year.

This years membership results speak for themselves. Poor team results = low memberships.

Why????

Many Richmond supporters have no faith in the coach for one. Poor team structures and lack of attention paid to young up and comming players have p***ed us off. Meanwhile, the same old hack Rogers, Houlihan, Biddiscombe, and co, still torment us with regular games. Year after year same old story.

Greg beck, well where do I start, Houlihan, Hudson, Pettifer, Biddiscombe, and on and on and on.

To whom this may concern at the Richmond football club, if you want us to support the club we love by buying our memberships, fix the obvious problems.

1) Frawley is not up to it, sack him.

2) Do what we have been praying for you to do, sack the hacks who torment us.

3) Play the kids, 2003 is over, its that simple.

Only then will you restore the faith of the tormented supporters.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
I think everyone online here will buy our membership next year.

For those others, I too know people like that and every year they say the same thing, yet end up buying one. During Feb and March, Richmond supporters are always the most excited, hoping that this year will be the year where it all turns around.

SkiddyMcGhee

Us and Them, Over and Over again
Jan 29, 2003
Sandringham, Melbourne
This memo got a mention on White Line Fever (FoxFooty).

I would tend to think that some people in the Communications/Marketing area will be a little edgy at present, with this getting out.

One good sign is that they appear to have their ears to the ground with supporter backlash and the obvious impact to memberships.

Interesting to read Point 4 about Danny's media persona. Will watch that space with interest......

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Maxwell

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 23, 2003
Melbourne
I'll buy my membership again next year, so long as Richmond decides to get Real and realise that; Houlihan, Vardy, King, Fleming, Hyde, Mills, Petiffer Rodgers & Biddescombe are not ever going to be in a Richmond finals side, let alone premiership!!! It also occurs to me that either Bowden or Tivendale have to go!!!!! Hell delist half the side... if your over 26 you go, get a stack of draft picks and lets build a team of youngesters around Otto, Krakouer, Cogs, Newman, Rodan, Jay, Fiora (?)!!!

No More Recruting Mature Players.... We don't need a top up we need a real football team!!!!

As far as coaches go lets get a young coach in to work with a young team!!!!

It is time for the Richmond Football Club to realise that we are ATLEAST 3-5 years of being a real premiership contender!!!!

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
Skyfire said:
Make no mistake, our supporters are angry. In particular, their ire is being directed at Danny Frawley. The opinion of Danny is widespread and at an all-time low.
Hmm wonder if they've been reading punt rd end ;D

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Obviously things are heating up at punt road. Why don't they just take the easy and correct option and sack him. Sack him just before the grand final when the media and the footy public is distracted. ;D. No-one will care.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Great work on digging that up Skyfire. Maybe was leaked intentionally whoever claimed that too.

I love this club. Never a dull moment.

Memberships will be based not on the coach i dont think, but more so on the aggressive trading, delisting and drafting as well as good preseason and early round results next year. Of course also for some what is offered in the membership package.

56tiger

I'm a llama!
Jul 21, 2003
If this memo is for real, it is good to see that the club is concerned about the situation. Accountability is something this club has been lacking over the past couple of decade's. As a member I will be renewing the family membership next year, and if Millers does what he has been saying in the media, things could begin to fall into place.

At this moment do we have the money to pay another sacked coach. I don't think so...let's face it with membership down this year, the Wantirna Club's revenue down the club will be recording a loss.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
Apparently the club believe someone from the Victorian Cricket Team to have passed the memo on to David Hookes, coach of said team, who presented it on Sports Today on 3AW. The Bushrangers use Punt Road as a training facility and have had free access to most areas.

I.M.O. at least someone at the club, Paul Maley, has recognized the need to deal with the members and potential members in a positive manner.

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
I for one LOVE the fact that Danny has had very little to say in the media this season. In years gone by (when it was apparent that Frawley could talk the talk but the players could not walk the walk) I would cringe every time he opened his mouth.

The essendons and carltons and norths and collingwoods just laughed at him and at my club. Especially when he was "demanding" respect then playing Ray Hall on Hird and the game is over midway through the first quarter...

ess don't air their dirty laundry, in the herald sun. Neither do coll (although that has something to do with their fat president controlling so much of the media...) Frawley has to worry about getting his players to kick it properly into the forward line, and to play for him...neither of which has happened routinely this season. He doesn't need to worry about whether I will buy a membership next year. Gawd, I have gone through the last 20 years with them...I'm not going to give up now.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
I don't have a problem with the memo, it at least shows that the club recognises these problems, and that Paul Maley in particular is being sensible enough to research the members, get their thoughts, and then present them to the executive.

If Maley gets the flick over this, I will lose the plot..again..

David Hooks is a tool, and clearly a bloke who has no real concept of biting the hand the feeds you. I hope the Vic Cricket team do get booted out of Punt Rd, that they finish last in both forms of the game and Hookes gets the sack.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
CrouchinTiger said:
What perfect timing......................funny that ::)

Haha was it an accidental leak or did someone turn the hot water tap on?

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
I am not concerned about the content of the memo as I believe it is very common for Maley to send out such memos around the club. A memo was sent out by Maley at the start of the season informing staff not to talk about making finals or finishing in teh top 4.

What concerns me is how the thing was leaked, bloody disgraceful.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
1. I agree with CB on this - how the hell did David Hookes get his hands on a confidential internal RFC memo

2. Paul Maley - is a very astute judge and is well aware of the importance of the members and their feelings.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Skyfire said:
1. Any and ALL references to our members and supporters is nothing
short of glowing. "Best," "Most loyal," "Most passionate," "…feel
fortunate to play in front of/serve such a great support base…"There
can be NO FURTHER REFERENCE TO LACK OF LOYALTY,`FICKLENESS,'
OR `BANDWAGON.'

I wonder what Paul Maley thought of Miller's pay up and shut up article about Richmond supporters earlier in the season?

lotus2

I'm a llama!
Jul 13, 2003
Leak my ass,,i think this is the start of a revoloution,,,,,Starting with the coach,,,then followed by Vardy,Hilton,Rogers,Houlihan,Biddiscome,Hyde,Pettifer,,,Bowden,Fiora,Nicholls,King,Mills,,,,,at least 80% of these players must go,if it was up to me id get rid of the lot,,then we must find one or two strong imposing forwards,,,maybe some one like Jonathan Brown,,and maybe one strong fullback like Mal michael,,,that will give us a strong spine,,throw in a couple of kids from the draft,then we can start a new era under a coach with imagination and hairs on his balls.

CrouchinTiger

"May the Funk be with you" George Clinton
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
It will be interesting over the coming days as to how Frawley will react to the memo..............boy what i'd give to be a fly on the wall down at Punt Road ;D