Is $port* dead? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is $port* dead?

Is $port* dead?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
tigersnake said:
Interesting question to pose. The government, admin bodies should get fair dinkum and crack down on sports betting exotics, also just keep betting at arms length at the very least. At the moment we have live odds during most sports now, stinks.

Another great point snake.
It's ugly the way gambling odds have pervaded sports broadcasting now as if it's part of the game.
Gambling and football have not always been synonymous with each other but these days they are well and truly in bed with each other.

Nice post Ready.

My concern is who is going to pay for the cost of this increased vigilance, it's not going to be cheap.

The AFL loves it's profits of late, I'm sure the executive has received some nice little bonuses based on them and would be reluctant to see them cut. The average punter is about to be asked for more methinks.

Some additional thoughts:

1) Gambling.

Leaving aside horse racing, where everybody knows questionable things have been going on since the eighteenth century. There is the old chestnut of bookmakers leaving the luxury saloon in valet parking while punters take the train to the racecourse. However, everybody knows the score, so while things may be dishonest, the dishonesty is at least up front. If I back a 33/1 shot, I know it's 33/1. I may thnk it should realistically be 20/1 and back it accordingly, but the market says 33/1 and I know going in what the probability is of my bet being successful. Also, as far as I know, you cannot yet bet on which horse will be in the lead at the furlong, or who will finish seventh, or whether or not the jockey falls off the horse.

Other sports are more than happy to have "exotic" bets about little instances within the contest. This is exactly how you end up with Pakistan bowling deliberate no-balls at Lord's, or Ryan Tandy giving away a deliberate penalty in rugby league. These are seen by the perpetrators as "harmless", and they can argue the rest of the time they are going all out to win. Sports governing bodies are completely complicit in allowing these things to happen, because they are more than happy to sign licensing agreements with betting agencies and take the huge sums on offer. Of course the money disappears straight into the bottomless pit but nonetheless, hurrah, revenues are up and let's all congratulate ourselves on what a success we are.

I'm not against gambling in sport, but sporting bodies should not have direct links to betting agencies. Of course there will always be illegal gambling, but if someone is running illegal sports betting, or an SP operation (does this still go on?), it's the same as if someone is running an illegal card school in a room out the back of a restaurant: a matter for the police.

Perhaps betting agencies should all be licensed by the federal government, and all the monies from these deals then taken and distributed back to the sports via a transparent formula. If you were being idealistic you could even mandate that the money went on sport in schools and at the local club level instead of into the bottomless pit.

Maybe it's just me, but I struggle to understand how people HAVE to have a bet on sport, and can't just sit back and relax and enjoy it? Of course, this may that I'm getting older, and don't understand modern society, and be an anachronistic view from a time shortly after the invention of the wheel and when dinosaurs roamed the earth etc. etc. :eek:ld

:cutelaugh

The gambling thing really irks me. Live ads during the game, sponsorship all over the score board and on the screen. The Herald Sun's odds page is branded, so it isn't odds "news" it's an ad.

I think if the AFL wants to have an "official" gambling sponsor then they shouldn't be allowed to advertise at the ground or during the game. They should be allowed to use their AFL affiliation in advertising elsewhere, a bit like beer sponsors. Take some control. The other thing that bothers me is natural association it breeds in young minds. Sport and gambling. I'd hate to think of kids measuring their favourite players worth through his Brownlow odds instead of his ability.

KnightersRevenge said:
The gambling thing really irks me. Live ads during the game, sponsorship all over the score board and on the screen. The Herald Sun's odds page is branded, so it isn't odds "news" it's an ad.

I think if the AFL wants to have an "official" gambling sponsor then they shouldn't be allowed to advertise at the ground or during the game. They should be allowed to use their AFL affiliation in advertising elsewhere, a bit like beer sponsors. Take some control. The other thing that bothers me is natural association it breeds in young minds. Sport and gambling. I'd hate to think of kids measuring their favourite players worth through his Brownlow odds instead of his ability.

Yep I agree. It also "teaches" kids about gambling. What "odds" are, "line betting" etc. With most young kids having their own mobile phone what's to stop them setting up a phone betting account? Just seems to accustom them that it's "normal" behaviour to bet on anything.
The association between sport and betting is getting so commonplace it's like one is an extension of the other.

It's a pity the afl want to maximise every income stream they can (do some afl executives get a pay-rise dependent on kpi's of revenue stream growth?) from the afl "brand".
I believe they should take a more conservative view. They want to appeal to families and grow the game through young kids participating but it's a double edged sword exposing them to all the gambling advertising, especially at games and during game broadcast. I know there's not too much that can be done about mainstream newspapers but they can minimise the exposure during and at games.

it's not just young kids but some adults have gambling problems. Some responsibility instead of the almighty $

willo said:
Yep I agree. It also "teaches" kids about gambling. What "odds" are, "line betting" etc. With most young kids having their own mobile phone what's to stop them setting up a phone betting account? Just seems to accustom them that it's "normal" behaviour to bet on anything.
The association between sport and betting is getting so commonplace it's like one is an extension of the other.

It's a pity the afl want to maximise every income stream they can (do some afl executives get a pay-rise dependent on kpi's of revenue stream growth?) from the afl "brand".
I believe they should take a more conservative view. They want to appeal to families and grow the game through young kids participating but it's a double edged sword exposing them to all the gambling advertising, especially at games and during game broadcast. I know there's not too much that can be done about mainstream newspapers but they can minimise the exposure during and at games.

it's not just young kids but some adults have gambling problems. Some responsibility instead of the almighty $

good post, spot on. Normalising betting in the minds of kids is a real worry here I agree. They see their hero take a speccy then kick a goal, then its over to a friendly smiling boofhead (or an attractive young woman), in the tote office to update the odds for us. Its a direct association, Crazy. Its a pretty recent thing so we don't know what the long term effects are. Its a big social experiment. Its a real worry.

Baloo said:
The more money a sport has, the better the spectacle
The more money a sport has, the more chance of corruption

A good example of where money has ruined a sport is cricket. The game is owned by Indian rupees. The BCCI has too much power and influence and can do whatever they like (eg. India threatening to go home a few years ago after harbajan was correctly suspended).

Loved Gideon Haigh's comment on Offsiders this morning about integrity units in sport being like compliance units in business. Quick, sweep everything into the bottom drawer until they're gone, then business as usual!

Smart man, Gideon :nodyes

Ready said:
Loved Gideon Haigh's comment on Offsiders this morning about integrity units in sport being like compliance units in business. Quick, sweep everything into the bottom drawer until they're gone, then business as usual!

Smart man, Gideon :nodyes

Good point. The aim is to neutralise the issue, rather than actually deal with it and address the problem.