Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

The importance of Ivan Soldo

Sarah Black
afl.com.au
20 May 2022

Since Ivan Soldo's development from a Category B basketball-playing rookie to a genuine AFL ruckman, Richmond has played around with its ruck line-up.

Given that Soldo wasn't a regular member of the side until 2019, it's not fair to couple him with the above players, as his non-selection in the first two years of the dynasty was mostly due to form/team structure, rather than injury.

Saying that, his importance in the past three and a half years has been notable.

RICHMOND'S WIN/LOSS WITH IVAN SOLDO IN AND OUT

SOLDO DIFF GMS IN (W-L-D) Win% GMS OUT (W-L-D) Win%

2017-2022 9.5% 42 (31-10-1) 73.8% 84 (54-29-1) 64.3%

2019-2022 25.3% 34 (26-7-1) 76.5% 43 (22-20-1) 51.2%

When Soldo has been in the team since 2019, the Tigers have a 76.5 per cent winning ration. When he's out, they've won just 51.2 per cent of their games – a differential of 25.3 per cent, better even that his pivotal teammate Lambert.

The moustachioed ruck missed the entirety of 2021 due to a knee reconstruction, but was a key contributor to the 2019 and 2020 flag campaigns.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/763203/who-s-the-next-most-valuable-tiger-after-dusty-

Reactions: 2 users
Needs to learn how to dominate with his height in attack, otherwise we desperately need another tall KPF if Jack retires.

Won a flag rucking Grigg but refuse to do it again - Pickett, Broad, K Mac options.
Soldo can ruck a bit, that is it

Hearing you, but Tobe, cant do it all, forever, he will end up like eevan, finished before his time.

Yeah i agree Tobes can't so it alone but eervan doesn't do enough as number 2 ruck for mine, as much as I hope he'll find form.

Reactions: 1 user
Never been so disappointed in Soldo.

We should have destroyed the Ladhams/Reid combo

Ivan is a #1 tap ruck and will easily get picked up by a number of teams in the off-season if he is put up for trade.
Tonight I found the choice to play Nank more ruck and Ivan forward really confusing. Small ground so with Lynch out playing both ruckmen made sense but I don't understand why Nank didn't play the majority forward and Soldo the majority in the ruck. Nank is far better suited in that fwd role than Ivan is. And Ivan offers us tap domination (that Nank does not offer). Yes, we lose some of Nank's around the ground work, but surely the overall balance for the team would have been better tonight with Nank forward and Soldo rucking the majority.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I like him as a ruckman but he has no idea as a forward. Never again.

Also looks like he is struggling to get back to his best after that cheat Hawkins destroyed his knee.

If he's not the number 1 ruck, then he simply has to go back to the 2's to learn forward craft.

With an aging team, we just can't carry players anymore. We've had the luxury over the last few years of an incredibly fit team, but with those players now getting older, carrying him I feel is now impacting us more than his positivity.

1 mark in a game for a ruck is rubbish to be honest. I'd like to see Ryan playing this role against Port, he has more forward craft than Soldo does.