Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
I'd be disappointed if we lost Ivan .

Before Hawkins crippled him, his tap work was improving rapidly.

Just lost all confidence after the knee, but that will return

Reactions: 3 users

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
I'd be disappointed if we lost Ivan .

Before Hawkins crippled him, his tap work was improving rapidly.

Just lost all confidence after the knee, but that will return
Yeah people have quickly forgotten that he was in the midst of becoming a real force.

From memory TBR even commented that we shouldn’t really expect much from him this year.

Trading him would be a potential disaster in the making, as I’m not sure how long Nank will be able to continue playing the way he has been forced to in order to have an impact on games. And then we could all of a sudden be in a position where we’re forced to play Samson when he’s not physically developed enough to match it against fully grown rucks.

And we also need a ruck who can at least neutralise some of the opposition rucks that have been devouring Nank due to mismatches in size and athletic ability.

Must keep in my eyes.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I wonder how Ivan feels about all this speculation & cr@p.

I think sometimes some supporters forget that these guys are human & have feelings too, they're not pawns in a game of Monopoly.

Well said, but it's the nature of the business.

The key is for it to be handled with respect and professionalism and to get the best result for everyone.

Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
From memory TBR even commented that we shouldn’t really expect much from him this year.

I did and was drowned out by the he's had a great pre-season and a long time to recover so who are you to doubt him crowd.

It takes you 12 months to recover from an ACL repair but it takes you up to 18-24 to get back to having the confidence and strength you need to play footy at that level, even more so when you are 100kg plus and jumping into other 100kg plus people all game.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Well said TBR and 76

Soldo has shown he is better than 2022 and may just need another summer.

Also, Ivan is arguably more suited to our new midfield (if Taranto and Hopper land) than Nankervis.

Reactions: 2 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Ivan has played 49 games since he was picked up in the 2014 rookie draft. His best year statistically was 2020 before his hurt his knee. He is 26 which is the age to play his best footy.
I love the guy and I think we may rue trading him but we need a strong midfield more than what he can give us. Really tough but he could be better appreciated at GWS. He’s also from Canberra so there is a minor “go home” factor too.
Thanks for all your service Ivan.

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I have no issue trading Soldo.

We have an upgrade in Samson sitting in the reserves that will need senior games next year.

Samson can also play up forward where Soldo cant.

Reactions: 8 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I have no issue trading Soldo.

We have an upgrade in Samson sitting in the reserves that will need senior games next year.

Samson can also play up forward where Soldo cant.

Yeah I think Samson and Banks will play a lot of footy next year.

I love Pickett on a wing, but I wonder if Banks / Hugo coming along in that wing role, may help us replace Graham (assuming he goes) in the middle with Pickett as that defensive running player in the midfield.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

I love Pickett on a wing, but I wonder if Banks / Hugo coming along in that wing role, may help us replace Graham (assuming he goes) in the middle with Pickett as that defensive running player in the midfield.

Pickett in the midfield is a "delicious" prospect. (y) :)

• Love

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Yep I like the idea of Pickett in the middle. Not sure why we have barely tried this in the past.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Yep I like the idea of Pickett in the middle. Not sure why we have barely tried this in the past.
After that tackle on Cripps the other mids would be wearing nappies every time they played against him

Last edited:

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I did and was drowned out by the he's had a great pre-season and a long time to recover .
I agree pretty strongly with this.

I have also said another pre season into Ivans knee will likely have him moving back towards 2019 2020 output.

His knee injury was fairly significant, and 100^ kg blokes 2metres plus take extra time to regain stability and leg strength lost post surgery.

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
I agree pretty strongly with this.

I have also said another pre season into Ivans knee will likely have him moving back towards 2019 2020 output.

His knee injury was fairly significant, and 100^ kg blokes 2metres plus take extra time to regain stability and leg strength lost post surgery.
I’d hate to see him line up against us. I think he’d beat Nank in the taps.

Reactions: 1 users

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Watching Ivan in the 2019 finals reminds you of what he was capable of before Porkins shoved Balta into him in 2020.

Still hasn't go back yet so I would prefer to keep him as at his best is a real asset.

Last edited:

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Watching Ivan in the 2019 finals reminds you of what he was capable of before Porkins shoved Balta into him in 2020.

Still hasn't go back yet so I would prefer to keep him as at his best is a real asset.
Does Soldo actually want to go ?? One journalist looked at our list for trade options with GWS and put it up as a possibility but I have seen nothing else. Can anyone shed any light on the validity of this possible trade ?