Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Seems pragmatic and fair.
It may seem the way with Ivvy, too, toothless.

Samson Ryan will given every opportunity to take his role next year, and maybe Nank's the year after. Do we really want to make Ivvy watch that?

Maybe Little Ivvy gets a chance to make a dollar next year.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
It may seem the way with Ivvy, too, toothless.

Samson Ryan will given every opportunity to take his role next year, and maybe Nank's the year after. Do we really want to make Ivvy watch that?

Maybe Little Ivvy gets a chance to make a dollar next year.
I doubt he'll be paid more at GWS comsidering their irresponsible and extravagent salary allocations. I'm personally not writing Soldo off until the end of next season. Came off a potentially career ending knee injury and missed a season and a half, being a big ruckman himself only makes the recovery that much more difficult and lengthy. Its not the first time a ruck has come back not looking like the same player coming off a knee injury. Should he stay, let's hope this season was an aberration. Nank may be cooked already akin to Soldo's cuz, so he needs all the support he can get.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I doubt he'll be paid more at GWS comsidering their irresponsible and extravagent salary allocations. I'm personally not writing Soldo off until the end of next season. Came off a potentially career ending knee injury and missed a season and a half, being a big ruckman himself only makes the recovery that much more difficult and lengthy. Its not the first time a ruck has come back not looking like the same player coming off a knee injury. Should he stay, let's hope this season was an aberration. Nank may be cooked already akin to Soldo's cuz, so he needs all the support he can get.

Our doctors know which of our rucks is more banged up, toothless. (FWIW I think Nank was close to breaking through against Brisbane. And looked reasonably sound.)

Ryan cannot develop any more in the VFA. We have to play him. If Ryan can keep his spot, even on and off, Soldo will miss out.

Soldo would get a game at many clubs. It's rare that a ruck who would play seniors is held back at a club where he won't. Given the Ryan situation I think Soldo is a big chance to explore his options. We're about to find out.

Reactions: 4 users

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Ryan’s at the perfect point in his development to spell Nanks in the firsts. That means Soldo will miss out. He should be given the chance to play elsewhere. But he may well flourish and become a truly formidable opponent - wth an axe to grind. We could regret it.

Reactions: 1 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
There are alot of teams that need a ready made Ruckman in 2023
Soldo is a first ruck and a good one if he recovers his pre-ACL form. However we have Nank and possibly (jury still out) a good young ruck in Ryan. Hence if trading Soldo helps land what we really need (e.g. contested midfielders and a young key forward), then that's the price to pay.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Soldo is a first ruck and a good one if he recovers his pre-ACL form. However we have Nank and possibly (jury still out) a good young ruck in Ryan. Hence if trading Soldo helps land what we really need (e.g. contested midfielders and a young key forward), then that's the price to pay.
Especially as we can afford to pay his bill next year (and might if he goes to GWS), and if his transfer with this years draft picks secures both Hopper and Taranto, all while leaving next years 1st rounder with us.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
According to Tiger71 GWS are interested in Ryan (not Soldo) and Ralphsmith. Pretty sure Soldo is originally from Canberra which may be part of the media's trying to connect dots without making any effort to investigate in order to verify from various sources who may on the trade table
IMO. neither of those two should be offered up; both have promising futures for RFC. Unless they want to leave, as Taranto and Hopper do GWS. Besides, their SC issues are not of our creation at all.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I would be as well . Ryan is a much better prospect that Soldo will ever be.
Ryan is our key forward and back up ruck in waiting
All true and I am not a great fan of Ivan as I think he lacks enough speed and agility to be a top grade ruckman. However, I'm prepared to agree that he may go up another level once fully recovered from the awful Hawkins knee injury. If we truly think we're back in the window for '23, you have to keep Soldo for if Nank went down long-term or was out injured for a few games, as this year. Remember what a relief it is to have big Ivan to throw straight in and not lose that much.

The thing about Ryan is, it's all about potential. We have to remember, he's proven nothing at AFL level yet. Still very light and lanky too - to take on the likes of say, Freo's Darcy at 203cm and 112kgs. Would be rag-dolled.

I'm coming around more and more to the opinion of, just take Taranto. That's enough of our urgent needs met. Going for Hopper is a reach too far for several reasons IMO.
[So I'll just head over to those threads later on]

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
We could always drag out the ultimate “break glass in case of emergency “ ruck, Keegan Brooksby If required.

Reactions: 1 user

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Currently Soldo is just a Luxury for the Richmond football club but he is a luxury thats most likely costing us $400k a year
Playing Soldo & Nank in the same team doesnt work as Soldo really is only a #1 Ruckman with no 2nd position
has been tried resting at FF but not very good at that with no leap of agility.

Its nice to have spare's but at what cost ?

A mature age lower level ruckman on min coin on the rookie list for 1-2 years saving $300k and a list spot plus what we can get for him possibly a late 2nd rounder maybe better suited

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
IMO. neither of those two should be offered up; both have promising futures for RFC. Unless they want to leave, as Taranto and Hopper do GWS. Besides, their SC issues are not of our creation at all.
Both our players have speed, Ralphsmith probably the fastest of all 4.
Avoid.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Currently Soldo is just a Luxury for the Richmond football club but he is a luxury thats most likely costing us $400k a year
Playing Soldo & Nank in the same team doesnt work as Soldo really is only a #1 Ruckman with no 2nd position
has been tried resting at FF but not very good at that with no leap of agility.

Its nice to have spare's but at what cost ?

A mature age lower level ruckman on min coin on the rookie list for 1-2 years saving $300k and a list spot plus what we can get for him possibly a late 2nd rounder maybe better suited
Yes, you make a lot of sense and I suppose I wasn't thinking of the $$ side of things - only worry a lot about that when it's my own. :)

But still, imagine if Nank goes out for the season with an ACL game 2 in '23. Do you think we can still contend (again assuming all other things going well), relying on Ryan and Funky Miller, up against the huge, A-grade ruckmen? Or some doubtful rookie?

That's when the extra dosh invested in Ivan is not a waste. And rucks are amongst the most commonly injured and probably short-lived careers in AFL given their high impact role. I also believe that as Nank ages, we should really reduce his wear-and-tear by resting him in several games where Soldo can actually be a better match e.g. against a McInerney, Darcy, Ceglar or Fort type, although Nank would hate it.

Reactions: 3 users

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
Honestly if GWS need a ruck and it saves us picks with our trades then it is a win for Ivan as well IMHO. Uncontested first ruck is not a bad thing for Ivan.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I wonder how Ivan feels about all this speculation & cr@p.

I think sometimes some supporters forget that these guys are human & have feelings too, they're not pawns in a game of Monopoly.

Reactions: 3 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Yes, you make a lot of sense and I suppose I wasn't thinking of the $$ side of things - only worry a lot about that when it's my own. :)

But still, imagine if Nank goes out for the season with an ACL game 2 in '23. Do you think we can still contend (again assuming all other things going well), relying on Ryan and Funky Miller, up against the huge, A-grade ruckmen? Or some doubtful rookie?

That's when the extra dosh invested in Ivan is not a waste. And rucks are amongst the most commonly injured and probably short-lived careers in AFL given their high impact role. I also believe that as Nank ages, we should really reduce his wear-and-tear by resting him in several games where Soldo can actually be a better match e.g. against a McInerney, Darcy, Ceglar or Fort type, although Nank would hate it.
The same applies to every team in the league and not many have the perfect 2nd Ruckman
lets look at the current top 4 teams
Cats have stanley and retread
Lions - Big O then rubbish fort
Pies - This year just cameron and they are wanting to sell Grundy
Swans ?

No decent Rucks after their 1st ruck , You cant have $400k as a spare tyre

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
I wonder how Ivan feels about all this speculation & cr@p.

I think sometimes some supporters forget that these guys are human & have feelings too, they're not pawns in a game of Monopoly.
But it is just speculation and crap, only the respective football departments really know whether a deal involving Ivan is in the making.
Jeez if players took this stuff seriously George would have topped himself years ago. Instead he is bring home the bacon and laughing all the way to the bank - each and every week. No not bitter - why do you ask?

In all honesty AFL while a professional sport is a lot less brutal to its players than some of the American professional sports. Here it seems like the players have a lot of say in when and where they go (not including the final when of course), over there, hang on to your hat baby...

Hopper and Tarantino declaring for RFC this year (for a change), Jack for St Kilda last year by way of example.